Chia Addresses Media

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010

McDeathbyCheerios*

"I still haven't had the chance to review the whole team in its totality, which is kind of unfortunate. I don't like where we are right now. This last little bit has been disappointing, especially at home."

Full video: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=943266&lang=en

- - -

What the **** does he mean he hasn't had a chance to review the team?
Did you miss a word. "whole" team. We haven't had the team together for a single game this year.

McDeathbyCheerios*

At best this team is still not a playoff roster with Klefbom and RNH healthy.
True but it's hard to see what the team is due to injuries.

Do we need 3 top 4 d or only 2?
Is RNH movable or do we need to keep him.

Lots of questions that would be nice if he had the answer to but will have to make moves not knowing those answers.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Must be nice to work for the Oilers. No pressure...just kick up your feet and have a few cocktails.

No chance to review? yeesh.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
He can probably fill in the blanks for the sake of improving it. No team is ever going to be completely without injury - at least it can't be expected. Unfortunately for the Oilers the injuries are above and beyond.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He can probably fill in the blanks for the sake of improving it. No team is ever going to be completely without injury - at least it can't be expected. Unfortunately for the Oilers the injuries are above and beyond.
Exactly. How many times has a team never had their entire top 6 healthy for a single game.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Hate to break it to you Chia but this team never seems to be fully healthy all at the same time so you may be waiting a long time to evaluate and assess if you are waiting for that.

Honestly if a GM can't figure out that there are issues with this team without seeing absolutely everyone together and healthy for an extended stretch of time then I actually question that managers ability.

Even when Klefbom/RNH do come back they'll likely be rusty and take a while to get back in the swing again... and by then someone else will likely go down with an injury or get in a slump so you'll still likely not have the team firing on all cylinders.

Part of the issue is lack of depth in the org to cover those injuries and slumps which is why the team looks like crap when players have to play above their heads... Chiarelli has to see that at both the AHL and NHL levels and again if he doesn't, then I question his abilities as a GM.

We might as well have Tambo back if we have someone in charge that needs yet more time to evaluate and dither after 10 years of no playoffs (and an 11th...12th etc in the bag if nothing is going to be done about it soon).

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Probably means dealing with things like injuries constantly. If you had a full roster for a long period of time you can accurately evaluate the team. If you constantly have injuries to core players that throws things off for the coach, it makes evaluating it more difficult.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He must be reading my posts. Turns out there is a pulse after all. What did it take to find him/ Sniffing bird dog hounds?

About time for the state of the kingdom address.

"haven't had the chance to review the team in totality"

Um, lets see, one year now, um, why would that be? yeah its unfortunate. Get off your ass and do some assessing.

Also, kind of get feelings somebody is piling on the bs when they use words like totality, instead of totally. like totally..

ps Yes, I'm guilty, but I'm not getting paid to run a pro team.

"The last part has been disappointing"

hahaha, not the only part Chia. What are you getting paid for?

McDeathbyCheerios*

He must be reading my posts. Turns out there is a pulse after all. What did it take to find him/ Sniffing bird dog hounds?

About time for the state of the kingdom address.

"haven't had the chance to review the team in totality"

Um, lets see, one year now, um, why would that be? yeah its unfortunate. Get off your ass and do some assessing.

Also, kind of get feelings somebody is piling on the bs when they use words like totality, instead of totally. like totally..

ps Yes, I'm guilty, but I'm not getting paid to run a pro team.
He said it has made it difficult but has to just figure it out.

He acknowledges he needs to make moves and to him it's unfortunate he couldn't see the entire roster even once. Which is fair

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

He acknowledges he needs to make moves and to him it's unfortunate he couldn't see the entire roster even once. Which is fair

exactly he is setting it up for "i traded this guy cause from what we saw with injuries he wasnt a player we thought long term was a fit"

McDeathbyCheerios*

exactly he is setting it up for "i traded this guy cause from what we saw with injuries he wasnt a player we thought long term was a fit"
Lots of players had a chance to step up this year.

Only Davidson and Draisaitl did.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

AS mentioned earlier an injury free lineup in the NHL, and especially with this org, is a great unlikelihood you can't waste time looking to somehow occur.

That said, if he wanted to see what the org looked like with 3 bonafide deals there was some cough, Roy, insurance policy that would have easily allowed that at low cost premiums.

Also he failed to get the type of vet D help in which Nurse, Reinhart, Schultz could properly be evaluated in pairings. Gryba was helpful in this, but about the only stay at home D he acquired to suss out the young guys.

That he doesn't have a proper look at what all the players can do on this team is largely his own doing.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton

Agreed.

I think Talbot was a pleasant surprise too. Even with all the hype coming in, he could have fallen into Scrivens Syndrome (Great D makes a goalie look better).

I'll throw Gryba in there too. He was basically a 6-7 at training camp, he's played his way into the 3-4 discussion.

Drai now needs to show consistency

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Translation;

haha, "bye bye Yak, you didn't turn water into wine playing with Toby Letestu, Lander, and Korpse. Shame on you not producing with players of this ilk. We did try to get Belanger back but he retired...

peace and love Yak."

Bye Schultz.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Translation;

haha, "bye bye Yak, you didn't turn water into wine playing with Toby Letestu, Lander, and Korpse. Shame on you not producing with players of this ilk. We did try to get Belanger back but he retired...

peace and love Yak."

Bye Schultz.

I can feel the Yak breakout in Florida/Tampa/Montreal/wherever in the East coming. I can feel it in my bones.

We're going to get some B prospect scrub and a 2nd round pick and he'll go elsewhere and be a perennial 30 goal scorer. Ugh.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Exactly. How many times has a team never had their entire top 6 healthy for a single game.

I always wonder why he can't look at last year in his evaluation as well - at least under Nelson. Just seems like there's always an excuse to buy more time.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Translation;

peace and love Yak."

Bye Schultz.

I'm a Yak fan but even I think he needs a change of scenery. Edmonton should never draft Russians or Finnish players ever again. They don't know how to handle them. There's more to just getting the guys on the ice. It's a change in lifestyle and language. And in some cases trying to get an introvert'ish guy to fit in with a bunch of Canadian kids that were spoonfed how to play soft since they were kids.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If the OP is going to quote the man, make sure you get the quote right.

"I haven't had the chance to view the team in it's totality yet, which is unfortunate"

View and review have very different meanings.

Anyways. I don't really care what Chiarelli has to say at this point. He obviously isn't going to make any big trades at the trade deadline and I don't care too much what he has to say period.

At this point this organization will say whatever they want. Doesn't matter. Fix the team come summer, or he can **** off like the rest of them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I can feel the Yak breakout in Florida/Tampa/Montreal/wherever in the East coming. I can feel it in my bones.

We're going to get some B prospect scrub and a 2nd round pick and he'll go elsewhere and be a perennial 30 goal scorer. Ugh.
Tell it bro.

As long as Yak remains committed to this league, and provided he isn't fed up with the experience, he will score 25 or 30 goals in a season in this league. Maybe more.

Even in rookie year pace was pretty good. Even last year pretty good considering he was buried much of the year and did well once Roy got here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad