Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Robin Lehner signs with the Blackhawks (1 year, $5M)

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Best of luck to him, he deserves all the support he earns. But make no mistake, the next Lehner is out there somewhere. Lehner was basically a nobody, a career backup. Trotz, Korn, and Grieco turned him into a Vezina finalist. Meanwhile Greiss, another career backup, was virtually identical. Whoever Lou brings in to replace Lehner will end up just as good.

Bummer he will have to go to the goalie coach who developed Crawford, Niemi, Raanta, and made Darling look elite what a shame:eyeroll:

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
So it sounds like he tried to wait them out and see if he could get a longer contract but the Islanders were in on other goalies and made the move on one of them first. CHI probably wasn't by choice but the last team offering him a contract.

Reactions: nyscene

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I'm just trying to figure out why Chicago is the one doing this. They want him behind Crawford after a Vezina nomination? Or they want him in front of their previously established franchise G? Is Crawford like, hella injured and I just can't remember it? This deal is puzzling to me.

And yeah, sounds about right from Lamiorello. Treat your players like friggin pieces in a board game. Lou made the wrong choice, that I am confident.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
I'm just trying to figure out why Chicago is the one doing this. They want him behind Crawford after a Vezina nomination? Or they want him in front of their previously established franchise G? Is Crawford like, hella injured and I just can't remember it? This deal is puzzling to me.

And yeah, sounds about right from Lamiorello. Treat your players like friggin pieces in a board game. Lou made the wrong choice, that I am confident.

Yes Crawford is having a lot of injury problems lately. We think 4 concussions in the last 2 years.

skiba77777

Jun 24, 2013

Crawford has all kind of vertigo/concussion issues and has missed tons of time in the last 2 seasons. He's also old and on the last year of his contract.

The Hawks goaltender situation was a nightmare when Crawford was down last year. They are trying to make the playoffs this season, and this kind of fell into their lap. It is a massive improvement for next season, regardless of what happens with Crawford.

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
I haven't been keeping track - how's Crawford been? Chi planning on doing an even split in net? Or they need someone to take over?

Glad Lehner landed with the Hawks. They got a solid core/leadership, and I think he'll do real good there.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Yes Crawford is having a lot of injury problems lately. We think 4 concussions in the last 2 years.
Crawford has all kind of vertigo/concussion issues and has missed tons of time in the last 2 seasons. He's also old and on the last year of his contract.

The Hawks goaltender situation was a nightmare when Crawford was down last year. They are trying to make the playoffs this season, and this kind of fell into their lap. It is a massive improvement for next season, regardless of what happens with Crawford.
Ouch, seemed like such a quick turnaround from his peak. Also didn't realize he was 34. Deal makes more sense, still wondering how a Vezina goalie could only get 1 year of term tho

Reactions: derriko

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
From the tweets, it kinda seems like Lou did Lehner kinda dirty. Only offered him 2 but then went and signed Varly to 4. Lou said that Varly being friends with Sorokin was a "fringe benefit", which I find to be bullshit. That signing is totally done to lure Bigfoot out of Russia. I really wanted Lehner back and if I'm in attendance when Chicago comes to town I will give the man a standing O

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Ouch, seemed like such a quick turnaround from his peak. Also didn't realize he was 34. Deal makes more sense, still wondering how a Vezina goalie could only get 1 year of term tho

From a Hawks perspective, they have 2 breakout youngsters in Debrincat and Strome about to get paid next year. I’m sure he will be retained if he plays well, but it’s hard to promise more than a year right now.

From Lehner’s perspective, not sure.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
This looks like bad news on Crawfords health. I cant see lehner going to CHI to be a 20-25game backup/insurance, so theres more to the story

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad