Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Robin Lehner signs with the Blackhawks (1 year, $5M)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Very smart deal by Chicago. Despite being a Vezina finalist I still see Lehner as an uncertainty going forward. He was absolutely the beneficiary of the best defense in the NHL, and who knows what going to of the worst defenses in the league will do to that. He could still be solid or he could have the same year he had in Buffalo two seasons ago. I'm not sure Lehner should have bet on himself here.

Do people just not pay attention to other teams in the offseason?

I've seen so many clueless posts from people in here(no offense to you) with regards to the Hawks and their D situation... :shakehead

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
What's insulting with that? Business is business and where would Lehner even be today without last season under his belt?
What's insulting? To not hear a peep from your employer for 1½ months and then they try to stress through a contract in no time, because of a situation the "business people" created all by themselves. And then they don't even wait to hear Lehner's response about the "take it or leave it" contract. Yeah, that's business alright.

Why even play the charade of negotiating? Why not just cut him loose when the season ends and not treat your players like garbage, hanging them to dry? And why not just be open about how they think? Nope, ordinary backstabbing as usual.

If the Islanders wouldn't had done this, Lehner possibly could've signed a better contract elsewhere, but this was what was left at the table. He has plenty of reasons to feel angry about this. But at least Chicago can be happy about this.

Last edited:

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
What's insulting? To not hear a peep from your employer for 1½ months and then they try to stress through a contract in no time, because of a situation the "business people" created all by themselves. And then they don't even wait to hear Lehner's response about the "take it or leave it" contract. Yeah, that's business alright.

Why even play the charade of negotiating? Why not just cut him lose when the season ends and not treat your players like garbage, hanging them to dry? And why not just be open about how they think? Nope, ordinary backstabbing as usual.

If the Islanders wouldn't had done this, Lehner possibly could've signed a better contract elsewhere, but this was what was left at the table. He has plenty of reasons to feel angry about this. But at least Chicago can be happy about this.
You've heard one part of the story and you're taking it as the whole of it.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You've heard one part of the story and you're taking it as the whole of it.
I've read both stories and I find Lehner's side of it more credible. Both are consistent to a big extent, only Lehner actually fills in the blanks. This isn't exactly the first time I've heard similar stories like these from players. That's also why I support players who don't play it friendly with the franchise they play for, because they're just a commodity to them.

Why the heck would Lehner lie about this (that he did turn down the final contract)? There's only one reason, to save face (because he had to sign to a worse contract), which in itself isn't a big deal, as it was the same salary, only one year shorter. If he didn't want to continue playing for the Islanders, why didn't he just tell his agent to scout the market more than he did? Why did he wait for the Islanders to call him? Maybe because he wanted to stay and that he thought they wanted him to stay.

Why would Islanders lie about it? They have more reasons. To save face and to save their reputation, to increase the possibility of signing UFAs in the future. Also, to not anger their fanbase, Lehner was very popular on the team, probably the fan favourite. And also, to hide that they created this mess by waiting 1½ months to open negotiations, for some reason (like that they intentionally stalled this so they could sign Varlamov).

Or what? Are you taking the Islanders version as the truth, as the whole of it?

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Do people just not pay attention to other teams in the offseason?

They really don't. Heck, there are a bunch of posters here who don't pay too much attention to their own team.

And the number of times I've seen threads about depth players and the first post is "Who?" Like it's supposed to be funny, but really it only shows a lack of knowledge about the league.

And I mean, it's fine if you're not hardcore and you don't keep up with every team and you don't know every player. But if that's the case, just don't comment on them and make yourself look foolish.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They really don't. Heck, there are a bunch of posters here who don't pay too much attention to their own team.

And the number of times I've seen threads about depth players and the first post is "Who?" Like it's supposed to be funny, but really it only shows a lack of knowledge about the league.

And I mean, it's fine if you're not hardcore and you don't keep up with every team and you don't know every player. But if that's the case, just don't comment on them and make yourself look foolish.

That was kind of my point. Like... if you're not paying attention to things going on in the offseason, why the hell would you comment about something you don't have any idea about, and make yourself look absolutely clueless? Blows my mind the lack of self-awareness I see on here.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Playing the other side, Lehner greatly outperformed his contract for the Islanders last year. The Islanders gave him a support system but he is the one who went out there and was among the best in the world. Moving from Lehner to Varlamov is weird and ridiculous.
Not really. Full props to what Lehner did under the circumstances, but his performance was a result of the system the Islanders play. While he was "among the best in the world," you have to put that in context as his partner, Greiss, put up essentially identical numbers over a similar number of games played. Lehner got the attention because of the feel good nature of his story, but Greiss -- who was a disaster the year before -- was every bit as good.

Anyway, reporting says that Varly has been coveted by the organization since last summer, and that Lehner was the plan B signing when they couldn't pry him out of Colorado. I have to bow to Lou and Korn on this, because they have a track record with goaltenders that's hard to argue with. On top of everything else, he is close friends with Sorokin, who the Islanders are desperate to get over here when his contract in the KHL runs out at the end of the season.

Anyway, there's nothing weird about it. This was kind of in the cards all along.

Reactions: pigpen65

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Maybe, just maybe not everything is as right with Lehner as he's like us to think? Even if he's quit the drink and found God, that doesn't mean his troubles are all behind him. There must be reason the Islanders didn't sign him a multi year deal in advance and that he only got one year in free agency too.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Maybe, just maybe not everything is as right with Lehner as he's like us to think? Even if he's quit the drink and found God, that doesn't mean his troubles are all behind him. There must be reason the Islanders didn't sign him a multi year deal in advance and that he only got one year in free agency too.
Pretty shitty to speculate on something like that with absolutely nothing to actually back it up.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
This seems a lot easier to assess than most people are making it out to be.

Crawford has been injury riddled. Whether he gets shuffled off to LTIR or not, this is his last year. Not just with the Hawks, but likely the NHL.

The Hawks are trying to take a couple more kicks at the can with its core. And they can’t do that with the defense they’ve had the last few years. Offense hasn’t been an issue. Defense and goaltending has been. Enter Maatta, de Haan, and Lehner.

Lehner signed a one year deal because there just aren’t a lot of teams with starting goaltender vacancies. He enters a situation similar to last year with a potential timeshare, but also the potential to be THE guy. And if he has a great season, he signs an extension of perhaps next year some other franchise has an opening he can fit into. Lehner undoubtedly wants to win a Cup, too, and may think that he can get one in Chicago.

This is probably one of the best things the Hawks could do with $5M for this upcoming season. If it doesn’t work, they have next year to play with it. If it works, both team and player have a potential long term solution. Otherwise, both of their goaltenders will come off the books and they’ll have $11M to play with. Right about when Strome and DeBrincat will need new deals.

This has honestly been one of the best offseasons I’ve seen the Hawks have in a while.

I’d like to see Anisimov move, and if we could dump Seabrook somewhere, it’d be the most amazing offseason ever.

Reactions: fivesberg

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Well, shit happens. I really wanted Lehner to stay with the Isles but sometimes you can't have everything. Chicago, all the best to your new goalie, he's pretty awesome.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
On another note, what Tavares did, was what the Islanders just did to Lehner, only the roles were reversed. I understand 100% why Tavares did what he did. After all, it's just business.
I understand that the grocery shopping in Toronto is the best in the World.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
On another note, what Tavares did, was what the Islanders just did to Lehner, only the roles were reversed. I understand 100% why Tavares did what he did. After all, it's just business.
No, they are totally different situations lol.

Lehner is a goalie who we had for a single year, Tavares is a franchise center who we drafted #1 overall.

But it's okay, just keep pushing your BS narrative.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
No, they are totally different situations lol.

Lehner is a goalie who we had for a single year, Tavares is a franchise center who we drafted #1 overall.

But it's okay, just keep pushing your BS narrative.
You're not seeing the whole picture here, are you? Tavares backstabbed the Islanders, the Islanders backstabbed Lehner. They were both hockey players involved with a NHL franchise during negotiations. Seeing the picture clearer now? Tavares learnt from the best. They were not in different situations. They were just on the different ends of the table, for who to dictate who will take advantage of whom. Great backstabbing culture you got breeding there in New York.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
You're not seeing the whole picture here, are you? Tavares backstabbed the Islanders, the Islanders backstabbed Lehner. They were both hockey players involved with a NHL franchise during negotiations. Seeing the picture clearer now? Tavares learnt from the best. They were not in different situations. They were just on the different ends of the table, for who to dictate who will take advantage of whom. Great backstabbing culture you got breeding there in New York.
giphy.gif

Okay pal. Sure, they are exacttttttlllllyyyy the same. Those mean old islanders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad