Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Robin Lehner signs with the Blackhawks (1 year, $5M)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This looks like bad news on Crawfords health. I cant see lehner going to CHI to be a 20-25game backup/insurance, so theres more to the story
Looking like they will split starts so Lehner will probably play 35+ games. If Crawford gets injured again, Lehner plays even more.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Did you hear the one about the senile godfather?

He made him an offer he couldn't remember
This needs more likes, lol

But yeah, Chicago makes perfect sense for Lehner. Crow's next concussion could end his career, and they had no reliable insurance in case that happens.
People on here think that a team can't have two good goalies at once for some reason. I thought for sure the Hawks would take last in the Central next year, but now, it's much more debatable.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
So he turned down 2 years 10 mil because of term and then signed for 1 year 5 mil? That make sense to anybody?

Reactions: stingo

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Burkie had an interesting take on this today, saying that the Isles hired all these guys to help lehner and they took a chance on him and because of that they didn't think it was right for letter to take them to the cleaners.

He signed for Wayne Simmonds money

I hope he plays great this year AND gets a fat contract to be a number 1 somewhere next year.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So he turned down 2 years 10 mil because of term and then signed for 1 year 5 mil? That make sense to anybody?
He was offered 5x2 from the Islanders. He took a few days to mull it over. When he was ready to agree, Islanders had sent their offer to Varlamov, leaving Lehner in the dust. Hawks swooped in and that was pretty much his only offer.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Very smart deal by Chicago. Despite being a Vezina finalist I still see Lehner as an uncertainty going forward. He was absolutely the beneficiary of the best defense in the NHL, and who knows what going to of the worst defenses in the league will do to that. He could still be solid or he could have the same year he had in Buffalo two seasons ago. I'm not sure Lehner should have bet on himself here.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Look at the mike kelly tweet.

NYI lowest scoring chances allowed, CHI 5th highest. Its not a slight on the Hawks, they just play a way more open style which Lehner will struggle with.

CHI signed 2 shutdown Dmen who if they can both get & stay healthy - DeHaan shoulder surgery #2 and Maata also shoulder plus cancer survivor - should improve the Hawks' blue line. A not small "if" and time will tell of course ...

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think they wanted him but on their terms. I hope he's good for Chicago though and that he gets a royal welcome back on the Island.
If you sign an injury prone, aging Varlamov to twice the years they offered Lehner, behind Lehner's back, no, they didn't want him back.

To give an ultimatum at the table, a "take it or leave it" deal, that's pretty insulting. Lou's gonna Lou. Not to mention the Islanders office apparently took 1½ months to even open the negotiations, then they complain they're short on time? Unbelievable.

The Islanders are masters at keeping a bad rep among the players.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
This was a outstanding move by Stan.
Chicago's future in net has come to a realization that Crawford according to reports , the locker room believes he should retire , with the amount and severity of his injuries.

Also if Crawford goes down or retires , Lehner is a stabilizing force and could be Chicago's next goalie.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
If you sign an injury prone, aging Varlamov to twice the years they offered Lehner, behind Lehner's back, no, they didn't want him back.

To give an ultimatum at the table, a "take it or leave it" deal, that's pretty insulting. Lou's gonna Lou. Not to mention the Islanders office apparently took 1½ months to even open the negotiations, then they complain they're short on time? Unbelievable.

The Islanders are masters at keeping a bad rep among the players.
What's insulting with that? Business is business and where would Lehner even be today without last season under his belt?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What's insulting with that? Business is business and where would Lehner even be today without last season under his belt?
Playing the other side, Lehner greatly outperformed his contract for the Islanders last year. The Islanders gave him a support system but he is the one who went out there and was among the best in the world. Moving from Lehner to Varlamov is weird and ridiculous.

Reactions: fivesberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad