Post-Game Talk: CHI @ NYR: Fire Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
As much as i love Hags i wouldn't take him at his current salary. Just doesn't work cap wise.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
1 bottom-6 forwards that can PK and chip in some offense please.

Step/Brass/Hayes/Nash/Zucca/Kreider/Miller/Fast/Stalberg in top-9 is fine. Lindberg and Moore is good. Just need that 1 more PKer/4th liner. Even a 3rd liner where we can push Fast down. Can't have too much depth.

Hmm... I wonder if we had some sort of swedish player who did that job just fine for us, while also being a good possession player...

Who knows? :popcorn:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Maybe not at his current salary, but i'd still bet he would've taken somewhat of a discount to stay with us...

Everyone on here loves to talk about asset management and getting the most that you can for players when you know you can't keep them, that is exactly what Gorton attempted to do with Hagelin. Hagelin had more value to trade last off season than this upcoming one when he would've been a UFA if we signed him to a 1 year deal.

This is why it's not black and white when it comes to making the right move. Obviously, we couldn't afford Hagelin at 4m per, but we could've tried to make space to sign him at a discounted 1 year rate, if we cap crunched and only signed him for a 1 year deal to just keep him for this last season, we probably could've gotten him at 2.75-3m. Trade Glass, don't sign Stoll and there's the money for his raise. The flip side of that, is then after this season we either re-sign him or lose him for nothing. I personally would've been okay with that, especially seeing the return we got for him. He would've had more value to this team going for another run this season, however, what we saw was Gorton trying to maximize the value he got out of his asset.

It's why all this talk of asset management isn't as black and white as it is sometimes made out to be on here.

Either way, there's no argument against the fact that on the ice Hagelin is sorely missed.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
He likely would have had to give up more than 1m per year. I highly doubt he would have done it

If I was him, i'd do it if it was a 1-year deal where I could stay with the team that drafted and developed me, where he was loved by the fans, and had his best friend Zucc there, then he could've cashed in next offseason.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If I was him, i'd do it if it was a 1-year deal where I could stay with the team that drafted and developed me, where he was loved by the fans, and had his best friend Zucc there, then he could've cashed in next offseason.

And then we lose him for nothing. Not great asset management.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

Of course you would, because it is hypothetical and yiu are a fan of that team. Hagelin likely has friends throughout the NHL, has no ties to the Rangers other than they called out his name and knows that he has limited window to earn big $$$.
I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but if you were actually in his position id imagine your choices would be a bit different (as would almost everyone's )

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
It's so easy for guys to say you'd take the discount to stay or our pk is bad now because of one skater. Yea he was great on the pk but it takes more than one guy to get it done, as for the money part let's be real here it's hard to turn down the money. Rangers probably couldn't go past 2.5 to keep him so that's a big difference in money to even a millionaire like hags but this could be his only pay day esspecially if he keeps this play up his whole contract

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Special teams haven't been in this bad since the year before the lockout. That year we had a firesale and played with bums and fringe NHL'ers to end the year. This coaching staff really needs to be reviewed, past accomplishments are nice and all but you can't cling to the past. The same mistakes are being made because of the system, yet AV is too stubborn to admit fault.

And seriously, I get it Mcilrath was bad last night but really? Was he any worse than the 3 stooges have been back there most of the year? Guy plays almost every shift with the 4th line and Boyle, of course he looks like ****. Doesn't play the 3rd and we give up 3 goals and blow a win. What's the excuse AV?

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I miss Hagelin, but I don't miss the 4-4.5 mil we would have had to pay him.

Yeah, a valid point, but I also agree that Fast doesn`t automatically replace Hags speed and PK skills from last year Rangers! :)

I hope I am wrong, but I don`t looking forward to playoffs with this current Rangers roster!

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Then again, his replacement, be it Stalberg or Lindberg, each have 12 goals. How many goals does Hagelin have this year? His offensive production has clearly been replaced.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Rangers were the better team at even strength.

The refs made some questionable calls (Stalberg and Kreider "holding" penalties) but ultimately the PK was what won the game for the Blackhawks.

Just move on. The team is clearly, for the most part, on the right track, and has been for a while. Get a rebound win by blowing up the Leafs tonight.

Last edited:

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
The coaches need to address that. Its been the same thing for months. You play defense from the goalie out. We should never have 1 guy never mind 2 guys wide open in our crease area like we have had this season. Its not Girardi.

Exactly. I watched an episode of the "AV Squad" on MSG where AV explained that their philosophy is to box out guys from getting to the front of the net but once they are there, they leave them there because that way Hank only has to look through one set of legs not several. It's a fascinating theory. I'm sure someone with the time may be able to post a link to the episode but I promise I'm not making this up.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I didn't watch the entire game (my show was on), but from the parts I saw, it seems the penalty kill gave the game away. The Paille experiment needs to be nixed. Guys not an NHL player anymore. Bring up Bourque or play Lindberg and Stalberg more on the PK. McDonagh looked good tonight and had a fantastic Corsi so hopefully the concussion is behind him.

The team's ability to evaluate FA's and potential trade pieces has consistently presented itself as below acceptable for going on a decade now

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I'm sure they miss Hagelin on the pk but not at the cost of his contract. The more things change the more they stay the same here: "sign Staal! Girardi! Hagelin!" Then it's "omgz Staal sucks! That contract!" You can't have it both ways

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Calls were atrocious. How are the Rangers dead last in power play opportunities with 157? The NHL has it out for them. They're competitive in just about every game, yet when they make the slightest infraction it's called and the other teams do it, it's not.

It's beyond annoying and so blatantly obvious at this point that the NHL hates the Rangers for whatever reason.

So many fans believe that the league has it in for THEIR team.

Funny how that works.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
So many fans believe that the league has it in for THEIR team.

Funny how that works.

I can't believe how out of control this view was last night.

The league does not want one of its most popular, visible, and profitable teams to be at a disadvantage with the calls. That is just not real life.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yandle's play at the end of the game reminded me of what Hunter did to Turgeon. The fact that Panarin was okay saved Yandle from possibly a very long suspension. He should get something, anyway.

Cheering for what Yandle did and justifying it by saying other teams would do that to the Rangers is flat-out stupid.

Yeah, Simmonds should have been suspended, but what does that have to do with what Yandle did?

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
It's exactly the team's problem. Roster construction. Microcosm and all that

Exactly. The 4th line is a legit issue. They are always pinned in their own zone. Glass and "Pie?-Yay!" Aren't NHL players. They provide literally zero offense. They provide zero on the penalty kill. On top of that Moore has lost a step this season imo. Lundqvist has 1 less point on the season than Glass. Let that sink in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad