Confirmed Trade: [CHI/MTL] Nicolas Beaudin for Cam Hillis

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Habs management basically have refused to play Hillis since he turned pro.
What's up with that?

Either way, good trade for MTL. Beaudin might be able to compete for a spot on that blueline over the next year or so

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
What's up with that?

Either way, good trade for MTL. Beaudin might be able to compete for a spot on that blueline over the next year or so
I think he has next to no chance of playing in the NHL, but he could be good for Laval.
Matheson, Guhle, Harris, Edmundson and Xhekaj already on the left side.
Unless Beaudin is used to play on his off side, there's no opening for him at the NHL level.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What's up with that?

Signed his ELC in the Covid years. We had a bunch of older guys and Bouchard didn't seem to be a fan so he was scratched or barely played often.

Last year he started in the ECHL and did well. Got called to the AHL due to injuries (even got 1 NHL game) and did well in limited time.

This year got sent back to the ECHL because we have a bajillion AHL players (Emile Poirier terminated his contract because he couldn't crack the AHL line-up).

I don't really know what's up with him but Bouchard and Houle both didn't seem to like him.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I know hes still only 23, but is there still potential for Beaudin to get rolling if given a chance???... or is he just struggling at the pro level

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Signed his ELC in the Covid years. We had a bunch of older guys and Bouchard didn't seem to be a fan so he was scratched or barely played often.

Last year he started in the ECHL and did well. Got called to the AHL due to injuries (even got 1 NHL game) and did well in limited time.

This year got sent back to the ECHL because we have a bajillion AHL players (Emile Poirier terminated his contract because he couldn't crack the AHL line-up).

I don't really know what's up with him but Bouchard and Houle both didn't seem to like him.

It's important to add that his 1 NHL game wasn't because he deserved it, it was because half the Montreal and Laval teams were injured and/or had covid. He was basically the last guy available to dress, so the game wouldn't be cancelled.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Beaudin is more established in the AHL (and NHL) than Hillis so I don't understand your reasoning.
That’s not really saying too much.

A roll of toilet paper for a roll of toilet paper is still toilet paper.

Reactions: Wats

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Its pretty meh considering Beaudin cleared waivers this month.

This a trade where both teams probably valued keeping a spot on the 50-contract limit available over the players.

Clearing waivers is an added bonus for a trade like this, now Montreal doesn't have to keep him in the AHL.

A guy who can't hack it as an NHL d-man vs a guy who can't hack it as an AHL forward

Reactions: Stive Morgan

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think he has next to no chance of playing in the NHL, but he could be good for Laval.
Matheson, Guhle, Harris, Edmundson and Xhekaj already on the left side.
Unless Beaudin is used to play on his off side, there's no opening for him at the NHL level.
I know Beaudin played some right side D in the NHL during his stint in 2020-2021, I believe he did in the Q as well. No clue about in the A. But yeah, he played RD on a pairing with Zadorov in 2020-2021, I can't find the stats but I believe he was his most common partner for that 19 game stretch, during which he was pretty impressive. I recall that he was a big letdown the next season when he seemingly regressed.

I'm not saying he has a great chance at grabbing a spot, but I suspect the will get some games to show what he can do this year. If he impresses, maybe he grabs that 7 spot. Not to mention, who knows if MTL trades one of their more established D over the course of the season, and while Guhle seems pretty rock solid, Harris & Xhekaj are both very young still and have never experienced the grind of an NHL season. I know there are other options ahead of Beaudin, but I wouldn't consider it a bad thing if Harris and/or Xhekaj need some time in the AHL at some point this season.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I count this as a win for the Habs in a very nothing trade. Beaudin has more value in Laval than what Hillis does.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Eh, neither player probably becomes an NHL regular but Hillis was really far down in the depth chart for us so turning him into an equally young dman can't hurt.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
shrug-meh.gif

Attachments

• 1666800738605.png
    1666800738605.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 1

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I know Beaudin played some right side D in the NHL during his stint in 2020-2021, I believe he did in the Q as well. No clue about in the A. But yeah, he played RD on a pairing with Zadorov in 2020-2021, I can't find the stats but I believe he was his most common partner for that 19 game stretch, during which he was pretty impressive. I recall that he was a big letdown the next season when he seemingly regressed.

I'm not saying he has a great chance at grabbing a spot, but I suspect the will get some games to show what he can do this year. If he impresses, maybe he grabs that 7 spot. Not to mention, who knows if MTL trades one of their more established D over the course of the season, and while Guhle seems pretty rock solid, Harris & Xhekaj are both very young still and have never experienced the grind of an NHL season. I know there are other options ahead of Beaudin, but I wouldn't consider it a bad thing if Harris and/or Xhekaj need some time in the AHL at some point this season.
I hope one or both of Xhekaj and Harris get sent down at some point this year and play huge roles on a very good Rocket team, but even if they both get demoted I don't think Beudin has an easy path to a lineup spot, especially if he isn't good on the right side. He's probably better than Chris Wideman today but he is a natural RD

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
On a side note...Laval received Riley McKay from Rockford for future considerations...so it wasn’t a one for one deal, McKay will eventually make the Habs as he’s been an enforcer buddy of Kirby Dach since his WHL days...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad