Confirmed Trade: [CHI/MTL] Nicolas Beaudin for Cam Hillis

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Y'know what they say about deck chairs and the titanic. I think that applies to both sides here.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Hillis could surprise as he has not played very much and was a very solid OHLer but things just not have gone very well for him since turning pro.

I think some of the blame is on the Habs, on the Habs board posters will confirm that I am likely the one that has complained the most about just how terrible the Habs development was under MB. If you look back, so Hillis was drafted after a solid rookie year in the OHL, the next year he missed a lot of time to injury, his final season in the OHL he's a hair under an assist per game. Then covid happened which clearly has some blame as well since it f***ed up the games of course.

But Hillis goes from having a very solid age 19 season in the OHL to playing 18 games as a 1st year pro in the AHL on the 4th line. So you can say of course that if he played better he would have gotten more ice time and that covid f***ed things up for a lot of prospects but still I just didn't like how they handled him, I trusted the coach as I thought Bouchard did a very good job for the most part so I thought maybe it was something with Hillis.

Last year new coach in Laval but same result, while Houle played him a little more, and he even got an NHL call up due to injuries and not having that many forwards remaining from the 50 contract list. So I can't say it's development and not just another good CHL player that peaked and struggles at the pro level (he's always been undersized) but at the time I thought he was showing some things with Laval despite the limited TOI but it never resulted in him moving up or securing a spot.

This year I think the Habs got caught with too many forwards as perhaps they asked for a little too much for guys that they thought they would be able to trade, or they just wanted a lot of bodies at camp but Laval already has several healthy scratches so really there is no room for Hillis. So now we'll see if he can get a bigger role what does he do with it. I liked the way he played in the OHL and haven't seen him in the ECHL but think he is a solid playmaker.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I remember thinking both of these guys were pretty solid value where they got them. I guess not so much. :laugh. That's the crapshoot of the draft for you. Still think they were both reasonable gambles.

With Hillis, kinda seems like he just doesn't have the wheels to be an effective little player. What's the holdup/missing piece with Beaudin though? Just a sheer lack of size/strength as a defenceman?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Never understood why the Hawks drafted this guy when they already drafted Boqvist in the same draft. When they already had Ian Mitchell and Henri Jarkiharju drafted with the top 2 picks the next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad