Confirmed Trade: [CHI/MTL] Andrew Shaw and 2021 7th for 2020 2nd, 2021 3rd, 2020 7th

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
2nd and 3rd is a good return for an overpriced overly concussed aging deteriorating Shaw

no matter how much you hate the habs, solid deal for them

lol every player is aging, there is no way to get around that one!!

Shaw is 28 in 2 days. Is 28 the new 30 for HF board where players suddenly can't skate anymore?

Deteriorating: Shaw just had a career year, which would have resulted in 61pts in 82 games, doesn't look like he is deteriorating that much

I will agree with you that he is a risk considering his injuries (mostly concussions). But the whole 1 concussion away from retirement is most of the time a major exaggeration. Bergeron and Crosby were supposed to be done about 4-5 years ago due to concussions and they are still top 5 centers today...

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
lol every player is aging, there is no way to get around that one!!

Shaw is 28 in 2 days. Is 28 the new 30 for HF board where players suddenly can't skate anymore?

Deteriorating: Shaw just had a career year, which would have resulted in 61pts in 82 games, doesn't look like he is deteriorating that much

I will agree with you that he is a risk considering his injuries (mostly concussions). But the whole 1 concussion away from retirement is most of the time a major exaggeration. Bergeron and Crosby were supposed to be done about 4-5 years ago due to concussions and they are still top 5 centers today...

28 is the new 58

wanna place a $20 bet that he'll have a shit season this year?

i'm putting his ceiling at 40pts this year, lets do this! legit bet

Reactions: HabsQC and Cenzo_

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Amongst recent, important trades the team made to acquire players there is Jeff Petry (6’3), Shea Weber (6’4), Jonathan Drouin (6’0), Joël Armia (6’4), Brett Kulak (6’2) and Phillip Danault (6’1)

Max Domi is a little bit smaller but I sure wish there was more of him on the team. Then again, 5’10 is pretty average unless you are in the NBA.

So it seem like you’re talking out of your ass.
you know, it's ok to admit it right? I am a huge Hab's fan, but even I can admit our team is tiny.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
you know, it's ok to admit it right? I am a huge Hab's fan, but even I can admit our team is tiny.
It really doesn’t matter. That narrative the fan base and other fan base are trying to push is wrong. Team draft for size, For the best and the worst.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
members on this board is the reason why i will never retire from this place lol

how easy it is to offend people

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

You are incorrect in saying we draft only short players , since 2010 all of our 1st round picks (until Caufield) have been 6'2 or taller. Habs at the NHL level are shorter than average but many of the players added to the team recently aren't short and I just don't agree that we specifically go after short players. Especially when a player like Caufield drops due to concerns about his size , you can't hesitate to take a gamble on elite talent, especially since the Habs don't have the luxury of multiple top 2 overall picks. Habs can make trades to address size if it becomes an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

HABSFTW

Jun 19, 2007
Thunder Bay
Still kinda torn on this trade. Sure we created cap space and got an ok return but lost a lot of sandpaper. Did we think we needed to do this to try and offer sheet Aho to that crap number that we did? Kind of wonder if there was a bit more to this.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Even at 6m per it's an overpayment. We don't really know why he isn't signed yet it could be term not money or the other way around. Who really knows. Maybe his back injury is more serious.
Gardiner at 6 mil >> than Ceci at 4.5. Hell Gardiner at 6 mil > Ceci for free.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am still confused about this trade.

It seems Bergy cleared cap space in indication of something big.. unless a player/gm turned around on his words at the last second it seems very weird to see the habs trade Shaw for future.

They still have now plenty of cap space and made no significant acquisition.

I somehow think Bergy rolled the dice and failed again.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
It would not be "pretty close". 1st overall is worth much more.

I think the 1st going back would have to be in the top 3 to have equal value. A 4th overall won't do.

Thus why I said a "top 15 pick".

Now, most teams wouldn't go for it as they would rather hold on to the 1OA. I was merely saying that the potentiality of having 12 selections could be enticing to a team with limited selections in two consecutive drafts.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Amongst recent, important trades the team made to acquire players there is Jeff Petry (6’3), Shea Weber (6’4), Jonathan Drouin (6’0), Joël Armia (6’4), Brett Kulak (6’2) and Phillip Danault (6’1)

Max Domi is a little bit smaller but I sure wish there was more of him on the team. Then again, 5’10 is pretty average unless you are in the NBA.

So it seem like you’re talking out of your ass.

To be fair, Drouin is listed as 5'11, and that's likely while on skates.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

It seems Bergy cleared cap space in indication of something big.. unless a player/gm turned around on his words at the last second it seems very weird to see the habs trade Shaw for future.

That 2020 2nd is highly valued, bet he pulls a trade off at some point.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton

Actually, he cut is loses when he could. It's been rumored that Shaw is maybe a concussion away from LTIR retirement, yet he just had a solid productive season so he got most of the assets he traded away for him back. ( 2 2nds, gets a 2nd and a 3rd back, thus the "cutting his losses").

Also, if you look at the Habs' roster right now, they have 14 forwards under NHL contracts. They still hold the rights to RFA Hudon, another forward, and Poehling may steal a starting spot. Then you have guys like Suzuki and Evans who are expected to push for a spot this year.

So all in all, you are at roughly 18 forwards potentially fighting for a spot, 19 had you included Shaw.

I don't think that Shaw is his last move, I wouldn't be surprised to see a quantity for quality trade incoming at some point where the team takes on more salary in exchange for more cost-controlled assets.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Still kinda torn on this trade. Sure we created cap space and got an ok return but lost a lot of sandpaper. Did we think we needed to do this to try and offer sheet Aho to that crap number that we did? Kind of wonder if there was a bit more to this.

It cleared cap space, opened roster spot and replenished draft picks in case Carolina didn't match the Aho contract.

Very smooth, well thought out move by Bergevin IMO.

And I'm a Leafs fan.

PS Could your guy coax Marner to sign an offer sheet now? I don't really care about the term or AAV -- I only care that the Leafs would then have theplayer or the compensation, and I don't care which.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad