Confirmed Trade: [CHI/MTL] Andrew Shaw and 2021 7th for 2020 2nd, 2021 3rd, 2020 7th

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
You have a point. I thought their toughness/jam kept them from being bottom feeders in the East. I hope they find their skilled replacements, but I doubt it.

A lot of teams underperformed last year and got better this offseason. NJ is better with a healthy Hall, Florida got better, Buffalo got better. I think Montreal will be further down the standing this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Can someone "Big Picture" this trade from a MTL perspective.

Why would MB do this? They can still use a player like Shaw and he had a good season last year.

It looks to me like they are rebuilding with all the draft picks acquired in this transaction.

Rebuild?

We can only speculate as to what their plan is. In 2017-2018 the Habs failed to win at least 30 games, for only the 2nd time since the '60's and the last time was during their bottom cellar days of the late '90's/early '00's.

I'm sure management knows their team does not have the firepower to run with the TB's, boston, leafs. So what do you do? Yes they have Price, Weber, Petry, who aren't getting any younger but can they really win with them while not having a single ppg player. Their top 3 goal scorers are Gallagher, 33, Domi 28 and Tatar 25, after that no others reached even 20 goals. Their blueline is made up of Mete a now 21 year old that has yet to score a goal in 120 NHL games on the top pairing with Weber. Chiarot, Petry, Kulak, Juulsen.

So their blueline should provide very little offense outside of Weber/Petry and if you look at Petry's numbers since Jan to the end of the season they dropped off a bit back closer to his normal range when Weber was 100% healthy in the past.

What they do have is a very strong farm system as they have stopped trading away so many high picks as from '08 to '15 drafts they had either no first or only a 1st round pick with no 2nd rounders in 6 of 8 drafts with the 2 they did have a 1st and 2nd it ended up being not the very best drafts to have high picks in ('12 and '13) especially '12.

So they have built up the farm system, they finally made changes to their poor development system and brought in someone that had actually been a head coach before as he replaced someone that until he was hired had never been a head coach at any level and the results were terrible.

It appears as though the Habs future is where their best hopes lay in terms of hopefully one day being a cup contender again. They could easily of made the playoffs this year had they opted to trade for a quality backup, they could have sold picks/prospects and gotten the much needed blueline help and added scoring punch. Instead they did a nickel and dime approach to add players like Weal, Thompson, Folin, etc.. for very little cost and didn't even bother to get a backup goalie and just let Price play every single game at the end even back to backs despite his injury woes over the past few years.

So one would think that this management team's plan rest more about the future and not selling picks/top prospects, they have the bulk of their top prospects turning pro next season and with the likes of 1st rounders Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, plus Josh Brook as one of the top D prospects in the CHL this year, Primeau one of the top goalies in the NCAA at 18 and 19 these past 2 seasons they know they have some quality prospects that are real close.

Trading Shaw is selling on him at likely his peak value or close to it. They know they might not make the playoffs again so if you assume they are ok with that knowing that the '20 draft which is in their yard could be a very good one especially for local talent which is something the current scouting staff has gotten a lot of heat for not being able to find players in their own backyard. They have the chance to load up more prospects while hoping their current ones take a big step forward and go from there.

Last edited:

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Lets not forget he borrowed Shaw to MTL for Alex DeBrincat

I didnt read all the posts, but im sure someone pointed out that we gave 2 seconds, one of which became Debrincat, but i also seriously doubt mtl would have picked him. Montreal seemed set on holding on to the outdated notion that size is better than talent. Samuel Girard or even Carter Hart would probably have been higher on the habs list.

Reactions: Steeler23

Gaud

May 11, 2017
The Habs will be softer than Charmin toilet paper next season with Shaw, Benn and Deslauriers gone!
I suspect that Chiarrot will replace Benn in that department (probably an upgrade there), Cousins is less rough than Shaw, but wont get concussions and Deslaurienr wasnt playing much anyways. I think that Weal or whoever plays on the 4th can pick up the slack

Reactions: Steeler23

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I didnt read all the posts, but im sure someone pointed out that we gave 2 seconds, one of which became Debrincat, but i also seriously doubt mtl would have picked him. Montreal seemed set on holding on to the outdated notion that size is better than talent. Samuel Girard or even Carter Hart would probably have been higher on the habs list.

1) Girard is small.
2) Montreal drafted Will Bitten and Victor Mete in the same draft.

If Montreal wasn't going to draft DeBrincat with the pick, I doubt size would be the deciding reason.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
A lot of teams underperformed last year and got better this offseason. NJ is better with a healthy Hall, Florida got better, Buffalo got better. I think Montreal will be further down the standing this year.
true, but does not bold well for Toronto as well, who were 4 points away from us and missing the playoffs. If we factor in Marner missing/or part of the season, the Leafs are in far worse shape.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
1) Girard is small.
2) Montreal drafted Will Bitten and Victor Mete in the same draft.

If Montreal wasn't going to draft DeBrincat with the pick, I doubt size would be the deciding reason.

1) 5'10 is somewhat acceptable, considering the average is 6". Debrincat is 5'7
2) Good point :P
Caufield is the same size as Debrincat. Can't wait to see what he's got.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
1) 5'10 is somewhat acceptable, considering the average is 6". Debrincat is 5'7
2) Good point :P
Caufield is the same size as Debrincat. Can't wait to see what he's got.

The average size of D-men is is a couple of inches taller than a forwards if I recall correctly. Same kind of variance.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
true, but does not bold well for Toronto as well, who were 4 points away from us and missing the playoffs. If we factor in Marner missing/or part of the season, the Leafs are in far worse shape.

I disagree, even without Marner this team is just as good. Their defense completely let them down combined with their poor pk and powerplay. With their additions this offseason, with Nylander being in camp, and all their young guys Matthews, Kap, Johnsson etc one more year under their belt. This team will surpass 100 points and hopefully will finish ahead of Boston.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I disagree, even without Marner this team is just as good. Their defense completely let them down combined with their poor pk and powerplay. With their additions this offseason, with Nylander being in camp, and all their young guys Matthews, Kap, Johnsson etc one more year under their belt. This team will surpass 100 points and hopefully will finish ahead of Boston.
Yea lost Kadri and Gardiner, and possibly will have Marner missing time **Possibly** I don't really see how this team got better. Like you said, other teams did and just going by your logic. It is easy to spin and say it towards Montreal but no I guess your narrative does not apply to Toronto, only Montreal is my point.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Yea lost Kadri and Gardiner, and possibly will have Marner missing time **Possibly** I don't really see how this team got better. Like you said, other teams did and just going by your logic. It is easy to spin and say it towards Montreal but no I guess your narrative does not apply to Toronto, only Montreal is my point.

Losing kadri I will agree is a tough pill to swallow. Losing Gardiner though the Leafs upgraded with Barrie and Ceci (hopefully a new system helps him). I am speaking about Montreal because it's a Montreal thread. I hope I am wrong because I would love to see every Canadian team in the playoffs.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I'm happy to have Shaw back in Chicago.
Always a fun player to watch, I just hope he has toned down on the stupid penalties.

He was always a fan favorite and had several memorable plays:

Shinpads goal in 2013 finals
Header no-goal in 2OT against the Ducks
Outhustling Getzlaf in Game 6 to score the eventual GWG
etc.

He's a battler.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Shaw is gritty as hell, and he's talented, to boot.
But he's a concussion away from retirement, I think... He was pretty unlucky with us

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I wouldn't be surprised if MB strikes out that he offers all his picks next year to draft Lafreniere with the draft being in Montreal.

Realistically though, the "value" would be pretty close especially if his 1st is top 15.

Wonder if a team like Colombus, would they land 1OA, would consider that just so they can replenish the cupboards. It is 12 shots in the dark after all, rather than just one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad