Confirmed Trade: [CHI/MTL] Andrew Shaw and 2021 7th for 2020 2nd, 2021 3rd, 2020 7th

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Habs owned the Hawks here. Overpriced over the hill Shaw.
Ha!
Overpriced ... not really given his recent output.
Over the hill ... what is he 27/8?! Maybe a little battle worn is all. Time will tell though ...

And you absolutely do have to look at the original trade to see the ultimate value of Shaw between these two teams. The cost of Shaw in Montreal for these past three years is Debrincat.
Now the cost to have Shaw back in Chicago will have to wait to see what the 2nd and 3rd pick will bring.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The cost of Shaw in Montreal for these past three years is Debrincat.
Nope.

It's a pick used to pick Debrincart.

Who knows who the Canadiens would have picked ?

Who knows if the pick would not have been traded for someone else ?

PS: Thanks for Danault and Romanov (I know, I know, who knows who the hawks would have picked).

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I think it was a fair trade. We had a try with Shaw and he somewhat delivered. Habs felt they saw enough and recouped some assets while shipping to place he once had success. Let's remember he had a great pace this year and was a key cog of our forwars group. But I'm thrilled to see what Timmins willde with the pick.

Fair trade all in all.

Reactions: chapeau

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Nope.

It's a pick used to pick Debrincart.

Who knows who the Canadiens would have picked ?

Who knows if the pick would not have been traded for someone else ?

PS: Thanks for Danault and Romanov (I know, I know, who knows who the hawks would have picked).
Hawks traded away their warrior in Shaw ... in compensation they got Debrincat and Chad Krys
Canadians traded away this same warrior albeit a little more worn and they will get ... a 2nd and 3rd rounder TBD.
Pretty simple really.
At any rate it's good to have Shawzy back!
Best of luck to the Habs.

chapeau

Jan 16, 2019
Literally everything he said was correct though.
Sure, but if Shaw gets 12-15 goals to go along iwth 35-40 points, I'm sure Hawks fans will be happy. For a gritty player that can move up and down the middle 6, 3.9M is reasonable. Good trade for both sides IMO.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Sure, but if Shaw gets 12-15 goals to go along iwth 35-40 points, I'm sure Hawks fans will be happy. For a gritty player that can move up and down the middle 6, 3.9M is reasonable. Good trade for both sides IMO.

Not exactly what I was arguing but absolutely the Hawks should be happy with this. Value is not bad for the Habs either but it's a little questionable if we don't get anyone to replace Shaw, which gets more likely every day and Nick Cousins is not that guy.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not exactly what I was arguing but absolutely the Hawks should be happy with this. Value is not bad for the Habs either but it's a little questionable if we don't get anyone to replace Shaw, which gets more likely every day and Nick Cousins is not that guy.
Hawks still hadn't replaced Shaw, 3 years later.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Hawks still hadn't replaced Shaw, 3 years later.

And you've won zero playoff games in that time he was gone, weird how that works. Seriously though, health issues aside Shaw gradually improved every year he was with the Habs. In the pre-Julien era we mostly got the maniac Shaw who only dragged us down, then he toned it down in his second year which made him sort of useful and last year he really broke out in the Domi line and was playing the best hockey of his career.

If Shaw manages to be healthy he should by all accounts be a better player than he was when the Hawks last had him. Hope it works out for you guys.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Hawks traded away their warrior in Shaw ... in compensation they got Debrincat and Chad Krys
Canadians traded away this same warrior albeit a little more worn and they will get ... a 2nd and 3rd rounder TBD.
Pretty simple really.
At any rate it's good to have Shawzy back!
Best of luck to the Habs.

At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter what the picks were or going to be. Shaw value didn’t go up or changed because the Hawks drafted Debrincat with one of the picks. Good for you guys that you got a hell of a player. It could’ve been a bust too. The value are nearly identical to me

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Strange feeling that years from now the winner of this trade will be determined by one of those exchanged 7th rounders being successful

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In that case it’s a steal, because it’s a good return for gasses and particles that amassed into planet earth after the Big Bang.

Sadly, those gasses and particles also begat toxic byproducts.

Moving on.

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I personally think if he can stay healthy and play smart (no cheap shots or useless fights) he can be a very useful player at a very reasonable price point. He also has some complimentary offensive talent when he plays with skilled players (as he showed last year and in CHI). He can ride shotgun on a line with a strong/talented duo which imo is not a given talent.

I wish him the best in Chicago , he was well liked here despite his poor health at times.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Not long ago, shaw was a trash contract and overpaid, suddenly he’s affordable. Personally i’m glad we traded him and got decent value, never liked the player in chicago, neither as a Montreal. Good that chicago Thrilled to have him back, everyone is happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad