Trade: [CHI/MIN] Jimmy Butler, Justin Patton for Lauri Markkanen, Zach LaVine, and Kris Dunn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Not overly convinced that Porzingis is a franchise type player.

Anyways I'm glad you mentioned him. Porzingis had a good rookie year just like Lauri is having one now. Porzingis took a step forward in his 2nd year and even another step this year. That is what i want to see from Lauri.

Markkanen has very rare road to NBA. Under two years ago he was playing in Finnish second division, against super trash competition. Those players doesn't even get money about playing. Doesn't have much experience against this level competition and is already doing really well. He has huge work ethic and that helps him to take game to the next level.

He's on par with Emeka Okafor's rookie season.

Didn't see him on NBA at 2002-2003.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I'd love to see him try to guard either a point guard or a true center. Maybe he can guard 3 and 4 but I'm not sold on him for the other positions.

He is able to guard point guards really well. He has issues against true centers, but he is freshman rookie from Finland without experience. After he gets more experience and strength he will be way better against centers.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If it was a planned occurrence and not an insurance strategy of his girlfriend, family life can be quite overwhelming for a 19-year-old.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Fantastic idea. Markkanen has baby on the way and it's going to born these days. Maybe little time with his family would be good for him & tank.
If Lauri wasn't breaking records I wouldn't have a problem with him taking the rest of the season off and enjoying his new found fatherhood.

That said, puzzling how one game away the Bulls get drubbed with Zips starting in Lauris place. You know Paul "just a guy" Zipser. Or that, you know, the Bulls basically lost in the first quarter when, you know again, Markkanen is usually playing big minutes. But no, Markkanen doesn't play defense and is clumsy.

I'll even throw out, since nobody is saying Markkanen is a franchise player besides "homers", that, why, when Kwame Brown was drafted, the scouts were comparing him to Karl Malone.

That worked out really good.

#goingforDoncic

Reactions: Asiantuntija

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Same average. I'm not saying Okafor is a comparison for Lauri. Learn how to read.

And what are these records that Lauri is breaking?
Even if, your comparing two completely different players. Okafor was a much better rebounder from the jump also.

That being said, Okafor is the slow climb upwards from the Channing Frye/ Raef LaFrenz comparisons from previous head scratches that were given. Next year it will be a better one surely, but a bottom basement player just so the pundits can still try to save face because outside of "homers" the whole franchise player thing and all....

Wait.... Harold Miner was compared to Jordan coming out of college. "Baby" Jordan if I recall. Since, you know, scouts were making that comparison, but the fans of Miami saw thru it quickly, who was right or wrong?

As for records, Twitter is Golden.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Even if, your comparing two completely different players. Okafor was a much better rebounder from the jump also.

That being said, Okafor is the slow climb upwards from the Channing Frye/ Raef LaFrenz comparisons from previous head scratches that were given. Next year it will be a better one surely, but a bottom basement player just so the pundits can still try to save face because outside of "homers" the whole franchise player thing and all....

Wait.... Harold Miner was compared to Jordan coming out of college. "Baby" Jordan if I recall. Since, you know, scouts were making that comparison, but the fans of Miami saw thru it quickly, who was right or wrong?

As for records, Twitter is Golden.

What the f*** you on about?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
And off course no mention of these records Lauri is breaking.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Fastest player to hit 100 3 pointers. (41 games) Most 3 pt made in game by 7 footer (8 3pts, tied with Dirk)

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
What the **** you on about?
Oh, how about how Kwame Brown was compared to Karl Malone and Harold Miner was compared to (lol) Jordan.

It's quite hilarious how these two instances haven't been brought up when there are those here saying "well scouts say this" about Markkanen.

So maybe it's a good thing those same scouts and the parrots here are calling Markkanen the next Channing Frye. And that's not aimed at you since I like your posts and the grief you give me about the Cubs. It's about the simple fact the scouts were lazy in their projections about LM and didn't see that his game translates extremely well in today's NBA while under a coach who actually uses his strengths to his advantage all the while the pundits here, instead of actually watching Markkanens progress are just as lazy relying on what those same misinformed scouts have said as it's gospel.

Markkanen is a franchise player. Can he lead the Bulls? I think so. Can he be the center piece? He could. Would I be comfortable with him taking the last shot? Damn right I would.

But that's not saying he wouldn't be better with Doncic or Ayton on the court with him, either.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Markkanen is a franchise player. Can he lead the Bulls? I think so. Can he be the center piece? He could. Would I be comfortable with him taking the last shot? Damn right I would.

But that's not saying he wouldn't be better with Doncic or Ayton on the court with him, either.

You declare he is a franchise player, then say you "think" he can lead them and he "could" be the centrepiece.

A franchise player does lead the team and is the centrepiece.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
You declare he is a franchise player, then say you "think" he can lead them and he "could" be the centrepiece.

A franchise player does lead the team and is the centrepiece.
So what your saying is I should have bolded the "I" an "could". Such minute details on a forum to convey opinion is similar to somebody saying their only a "little" pregnant..

And then I realize I'm on HF forums and things just magically fall into place.....

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Three absolute Bulls homers who think Lauri can do no wrong? Oooh I guess I'm sold. Is every single member of NBA media turning a blind eye to the greatness of Lauri? You can't be that delusional (lol jk u can)
Lol what?

I am overtly critical of the Bulls and have been since the days of Jordans exile, thru Jerry Krauses blundering of needing the spotlight and fail, to every wasted high draft pick that was placed on pedestal after pedestal only to see each and every one of them fall flat on their face with the exception of Derrick Rose who's body just completely combusted in front of everyones eyes.

"Homer", isn't the term I'd use. What is encouraging, was a trade that returned two good young players and one, dare I say it, franchise player that everyone was completely dogging when it was made only to reap in the bitter tears now that finally GarPax made a good trade that those same pundits are still trying to say was a bad move.

As a Bulls fan, I have nothing positive to say about them until they start proving that this new guard in charge actually means what they say and prove it with actions instead of sitting in a comfort suite counting cash.

This trade, is a positive. There's nothing bad to type out about it.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
So what your saying is I should have bolded the "I" an "could". Such minute details on a forum to convey opinion is similar to somebody saying their only a "little" pregnant..

And then I realize I'm on HF forums and things just magically fall into place.....

No, there's a very big difference between someone you "think" could lead a team and someone who does.

There's a very big difference between someone who could be the centrepiece and someone who is.

A franchise player isn't someone who "could" be the centrepiece, it is someone who is.

These aren't minute details, they're the difference between a franchise player and potential.

If they "could" be the centrepiece that means they currently aren't. If you only "think" they can lead the team, that means they currently aren't. If you aren't leading the team, if you aren't the centrepiece, then you're not a franchise player. Maybe one day, but not right now. When he proves he can do those things, then he is a franchise player.

Reactions: Virtanen18

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
No, there's a very big difference between someone you "think" could lead a team and someone who does.

There's a very big difference between someone who could be the centrepiece and someone who is.

A franchise player isn't someone who "could" be the centrepiece, it is someone who is.

These aren't minute details, they're the difference between a franchise player and potential.

If they "could" be the centrepiece that means they currently aren't. If you only "think" they can lead the team, that means they currently aren't. If you aren't leading the team, if you aren't the centrepiece, then you're not a franchise player. Maybe one day, but not right now. When he proves he can do those things, then he is a franchise player.
So...Auston Matthews and Connor McDavid aren't franchise players?

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Dot the i's and cross the t's as much as you want. Lauri is still a franchise talent and that should be obvious with his long-range skills. 3 pointer's are more important than ever and Lauri has all the tools to became one of the greatest shooters ever seen on NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad