Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] F Corey Perry signs extension with the Blackhawks (1 year, $4M)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Maybe but even at 50% what contender can afford to pay a fourth liner that kind of money? And with the relatively small impact he has, what contender is going to pay the price to get a third team involved in retention? I guess maybe if Chicago is quite literally giving him away for free @50% it's feasible
Tough to say, but we've seen rejuvenated last hurrahs before. It would likely be a situation where Perry would be traded to a team that suffered an injury to a player that plays a similar role to what Perry can provide and is looking for a cheap replacement without any long-term commitment.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Tough to say, but we've seen rejuvenated last hurrahs before. It would likely be a situation where Perry would be traded to a team that suffered an injury to a player that plays a similar role to what Perry can provide and is looking for a cheap replacement without any long-term commitment.
Definitely a lot can change between now and the deadline but hard for me to point to somewhere right now that would make sense at the dollar figure

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
It’s for Bedard. You’ve got the two best available vets in the entire league for Bedard for 5 months.

You overpaid them. Big whoop. You’re sitting at less than 60 million. They are 1 year deals. The team isn’t competing.

Mentor the future in Bedard, retain 50% of the contract, and trade both Foligno and Perry at the deadline to a playoff team looking for a vet for a 3rd-5th. There is a market for these guys every single year.
The issue is retaining 50% is still too expensive for a 4th liner on a contender so they effectively made the potential trade deadline assets worthless.

Yea Chicago has lots of cap space so why not give 3mil a year and at the deadline it's 1.5mil and a contender would pay that.

No team is gonna spend the assets for a 3 way trade to bring in a 4th liner and without that he is too expensive in the flat cap.

Reactions: Jacob

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The issue is retaining 50% is still too expensive for a 4th liner on a contender so they effectively made the potential trade deadline assets worthless.

Yea Chicago has lots of cap space so why not give 3mil a year and at the deadline it's 1.5mil and a contender would pay that.

No team is gonna spend the assets for a 3 way trade to bring in a 4th liner and without that he is too expensive in the flat cap.
Don't think any teams are going to have trouble fitting 2 million prorated into their cap

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Chicago will basically have to trade him for future considerations @50% or at best get the 7th rounder back and another team would look to get a 5th rounder or something for retaining a million. Can't see it working any other way

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Chicago's strategy makes perfect sense to me. They needed to add a lot of salary to hit the cap floor. With Foligno and Perry on one year deals they're now safely going to hit the floor, overpaying for two high character mentors for their prize possession Bedard.

Lots of flexibility where to go into the future. Can feel safer taking on disgruntled cap dumps for 2023-24 with assets attached knowing they have some very strong vet leadership. Have only tied up the money in Foligno/Perry for one season, can splash big on UFAs in 2024-25 if justified.

I expect Chicago will still be a very bad team in 2023-24. Highly curious if their plan is to accept that fate or try to make any big UFA splashes tomorrow?

I just feel they could use that capspace to leverage some assets from other team's capdumps than to overpay these old guys

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I just feel they could use that capspace to leverage some assets from other team's capdumps than to overpay these old guys
Why can they not do both?? You think they wouldn't have taken Murray for the 28th and a 2nd? They would have. We paid for a 2nd with Bailey. I promise you he has tried.

Reactions: ClydeLee

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I keep seeing this and I don’t get it. What cap dumbs are people talking about? With the amount of buyouts going on right now it is pretty clear that teams would rather pay long term than attach an asset.

Additionally, the Hawks are not interested in any term longer than two years, which limits the pool. Players with some sort of NTC are also not very likely to waive to go to a team that will probably finish in the bottom ten (most likely five) next year.

Reactions: Hattrick Kane

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
Didn't read a post in this thread yet but I'll take a stab and say that it's mostly about how the Hawks cup window will be closed in 2024 because of this signing alone....

How close am I...?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think your explanation was just bad and your premise was just flawed from the start tbh

Maybe but even at 50% what contender can afford to pay a fourth liner that kind of money? And with the relatively small impact he has, what contender is going to pay the price to get a third team involved in retention? I guess maybe if Chicago is quite literally giving him away for free @50% it's feasible
Cap situations are usually a lot different at the TDL

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
heres to hoping Perry and Foligno instill enough dignity to the young kids in Chicago that it breaks their continuted tank for Celebrini.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I don't know about this one. He's hot and he's cold. He's yes then he's no. He's in then he's out. He's up then he's down.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
LMAO in what world is Perry worth 4 AAV Hawks?

You can't even flip him at the TDL without finding another team to have 75% retention so other team can absorb the cap.

Yikes!

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I get trying to get some vets around Bedard but in this cap environment spending $8 million on Foligno and Perry while many teams are willing to move out good players for basically nothing or the option to buy good players for under market value this just seems a wasted opportunity to me.
Yea I get the hawks are trying to bring in solid vet leaders which both of them are but you don’t need to double their salary to get them. Like no one was lining up to sign foligno. Truly a water opportunity

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad