Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] F Corey Perry signs extension with the Blackhawks (1 year, $4M)

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Maybe I’m missing something, but capfriendly has them at 24.9M in cap space without the Foligno and Perry contracts included yet, so it seems like they’re at 16.9M now. Regardless, it’s a finite amount of cap space, and I really can’t believe there aren’t 25M worth of bad contracts left that teams would like to clear.

Even if no one’s looking to dump cap, why not do this same thing with players that are actually decent? Offer, I dunno, Jason Zucker 7M for one year to rack up points on Bedard’s wing, then flip him with retention at the deadline. I assume that’s what they’re planning to do with Foligno and Perry, but they’d get a lot more in return for a guy like Zucker.

Having plenty of picks is never a reason not to acquire more. They’re a pure positive asset. If you’ve got too many in a particular draft, use the extra to move up or trade them for future picks and keep the surplus rolling. Or just trade them for vets who can be good in the locker room to support Bedard and score more than 25 points.
They want to be bad. I think people are not getting that or something. They need star prospects, they need another 2/3 top 10 or top 5 picks.

If these cap dumps were there for good value? Why isn't any other team taking them? Why isn't Toronto or Boston making them?

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
The purpose of the cap was to create cost certainty for the owners and to create parity for the league. How every team uses their cap space is up to them. The NHLPA has no right to think that anyone did them dirty and as long as a team is at the above the floor it doesn’t matter how they get there. Good for Perry. Good for Chicago.

yeah good for them... f*** everyone else out of a job and money lol... great mindset you have.

Get rid of the cap floor and change from a hard cap system.. it doesn't work well... it doesn't grow the game either.... NHL is the only league using one and its last of the top sports in the world.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
i'm not saying using it a leverage to get better deals. I am saying they just spent 12 mil on 3 players that should be making 3 mil and NHLPA just lost 9 mil for other players...

There is only a certain amount of money they are allowed to spend because of the cap... when teams do this, it f***s other players.
This does not screw any player over. You're not making sense.

Reactions: francis246

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Lol I told hawk fans theyd take barclay goodrow if the rangers opted to move him. They laughed. Goodrow has 4 years left at $3.6 and the hawks are 3-4 years away from competing for a playoff spot. Hes better than foligno and perry.

It was so obvious the hawks would surround bedard with vets and vets who have some bite too
Why would we want 4 years of Barclay. Foligno and Perry are one year deals.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
$4 million seems like a lot for 38 year old Perry and his -28 +/- rating on a good Tampa Bay team. His mentoring skills must be off the chart.

Had to check it out, how is that even possible? TB as team was +13 at even strength at the closest other F was -9.

I get that +/- can often be misleading but that's pretty wild.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
yeah good for them... f*** everyone else out of a job and money lol... great mindset you have.

Get rid of the cap floor and change from a hard cap system.. it doesn't work well... it doesn't grow the game either.... NHL is the only league using one and its last of the top sports in the world.

How does it screw people out of a job? Foligno and Perry would have been trying hard as hell to get a job at league minimum.

Most players probably rather this situation instead of acquiring LTIR guys who will never suit up

Reactions: Curufinwe

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Why would we want 4 years of Barclay. Foligno and Perry are one year deals.
Because hes an actual hood hockey player albeit overpaid by about $1mm. + youre not competing for a playoff spot for 3-4 years and you have tons of cap space

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
They want to be bad. I think people are not getting that or something. They need star prospects, they need another 2/3 top 10 or top 5 picks.

If these cap dumps were there for good value? Why isn't any other team taking them? Why isn't Toronto or Boston making them?
So why buy out Bailey then instead of keeping him as an expensive tank commander? Buying out Bailey seems like a move you make if you're trying to wring every bit of cap space you can for assets, while giving these contracts out is a move you make if you think cap space doesn't matter.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Had to check it out, how is that even possible? TB as team was +13 at even strength at the closest other F was -9.

I get that +/- can often be misleading but that's pretty wild.
He had the 5th most powerplay goals and 8th most powerplay points for the 2022-23 Lightning. So he was still a 2nd Unit Powerplay guy.

Because hes an actual hood hockey player albeit overpaid by about $1mm. + youre not competing for a playoff spot for 3-4 years and you have tons of cap space
Give it a rest, the Hawks don't want term. Everything suggests it, no way they want Goodrow for 4 years. He also has a 15 team no trade list, so not even clear he'd be willing to go to the Blackhawks, as he can knock off half the League so he can list all the usual "non-desirable" destinations as well as bad teams, which likely knocks the Hawks out to acquire him even if the Rangers were attaching a 1st round pick.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
So why buy out Bailey then instead of keeping him as an expensive tank commander? Buying out Bailey seems like a move you make if you're trying to wring every bit of cap space you can for assets, while giving these contracts out is a move you make if you think cap space doesn't matter.
Because he didn't WANT to be there. He's not open to it. The deal is stated to have gone though with the agreement of a buyout. He wants to go out into the market.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Not bad for either parties really. Perry gets paid, will work really hard around his limitations and yeah the blackhawks overpaid, but its one year and they are still very under the cap.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Because he didn't WANT to be there. He's not open to it. The deal is stated to have gone though with the agreement of a buyout. He wants to go out into the market.
People struggle to see that the NHL is a competitive business but also one of relationships. If Davidson agreed to acquire the 2nd round pick with the understanding that they'd do right by Bailey and buy him out, and then said PSYCHE! and kept a disgruntled Bailey on the roster, that looks bad and GMs and players won't want to do business with the Blackhawks. Similarly, if the Lightning acquired a 7th round pick without an understanding that Perry would be open to signing in Chicago and then were just like "oh sucks to suck" when Perry walks, that makes the Lightning look bad and GMs and players won't want to do business with the Lightning.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
How does it screw people out of a job? Foligno and Perry would have been trying hard as hell to get a job at league minimum.

Most players probably rather this situation instead of acquiring LTIR guys who will never suit up

if you dont get it after 3 times, i'm not going to continue explaining.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Chicago doesn't need to worry about boat anchor deals. Especially one year guys. No question they are surrounding Bedard with vets. He needs some support. Can flip a few of these guys at the deadline for picks too.

Right now is the easy phase for Chicago. The hard phase comes when it's time to be a playoff contender. Filling out legit young wingers, franchise goalie, D, and paying Bedard his 16 million/year or whatever it will be.

In Crosby's first year, the team was awful. But they had vets like Recchi, Palffy, and of course Lemieux. Who knows how he performs without them to lean on.

Pittsburgh transitioned very quickly to a cup contender after that. It's going to be longer for Chicago. There is no Malkin coming over. No young MAF in net etc.

I love the people that are genuinely confused and think it's a horrible move to sign 1 YEAR deals because they are "overpayments". This is exactly what the Hawks should be doing and I'm all in favor.
They are trying to get to the floor. And having actual NHL players on the team can help.

Looks like they aren't looking to intentionally tank anymore.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The Hawks are going to have the most expensive 4th line in the NHL, lol.

Foligno and Perry will be good role models for Bedard though, and they will insulate him as well as he develops in the early stages of his career.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
4 years left. One year for the others. So simply put they don’t want that longer term deal on the books.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Good for Perry. I expect he will be with a contender in March.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
I bet Richardson advocated for this since he coached Perry in Montreal too.

Knowing which vets are good in the room is one of the hardest things for us to know about. We can only assume here. In my field, there are definitely experienced and successful people at the end of their careers who are totally checked out and would make horrible mentors, but then there are also 2024 retirees who will be amazing through their last day of work.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
if you dont get it after 3 times, i'm not going to continue explaining.
I think your explanation was just bad and your premise was just flawed from the start tbh

Good for Perry. I expect he will be with a contender in March.
Maybe but even at 50% what contender can afford to pay a fourth liner that kind of money? And with the relatively small impact he has, what contender is going to pay the price to get a third team involved in retention? I guess maybe if Chicago is quite literally giving him away for free @50% it's feasible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad