Confirmed Trade: [CHI/EDM] Brandon Manning and Robin Norell for Drake Caggiula and Jason Garrison

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Edmonton is at the cap. They just took on salary to add Manning. There's no money for them to try anything useful. You'd think a team with so little depth would cap space, but it Chia managed to spend to the limit on a non-playoff team.

If your going to complain use a valid argument to make your point.

When you trade bottom 6 guys and over age bottom pairing defenseman what do you think your going to get in return especially since your working with no cap space and so many contracts in your system already.

The answer is equal value pieces not some pie in the sky top 6 players.

If Edmonton wants a staal or top 6 player then they have to come to the table with equal value in return plain and simple,

Edmonton has 59k in cap space available do the math please.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Edmonton is at the cap. They just took on salary to add Manning. There's no money for them to try anything useful. You'd think a team with so little depth would cap space, but it Chia managed to spend to the limit on a non-playoff team.

But in order to get cap relief they would need to trade any one of their top assets .

At this point their best bet is the draft and small trades.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
But in order to get cap relief they would need to trade any one of their top assets .

At this point their best bet is the draft and small trades.
Definitely not arguing that. My point was that their cap situation takes them out of the running for actual improvements.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Definitely not arguing that. My point was that their cap situation takes them out of the running for actual improvements.

Definitely but the team has to make some tough decisions about their prize core players and what's best for them.

Maybe they move a nurse and mcdavid to get cap relief but to restock their team with more young assets.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
If your going to complain use a valid argument to make your point.

When you trade bottom 6 guys and over age bottom pairing defenseman what do you think your going to get in return especially since your working with no cap space and so many contracts in your system already.

The answer is equal value pieces not some pie in the sky top 6 players.

If Edmonton wants a staal or top 6 player then they have to come to the table with equal value in return plain and simple,

Edmonton has 59k in cap space available do the math please.
That was my point. Poor decisions have lead to cap restrictions where they can't make impactful moves.

He just proved his incompetence again taking on salary for the #7 defenceman from the worst team in the league. Oh, and his deal goes into next year.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
The fact is Chiarelli inherited a mess. He inherited very few players with significant value and even fewer guys that you could win with. The rest of the roster and prospects were junk. There were only 3 players with much value at all: McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall and Hall was the obvious guy to trade because the losing culture compromised him as a guy you can win with. Everyone agreed Hall made the most sense to trade away. The Larson trade wasn’t bad at all because the Oilers weren’t trading a 90 point player away they were trading a 60 point guy with question marks about his character. The defense was a huge black hole of talent that Chiarelli had to inherit. Eberle had marginal value and was no big loss not even sure why you mention him. The Lucic signing was a good signing at the time, no one could’ve reasonably predicted that he would decline this much this fast. He was exactly the kind of player the Oilers needed and you don’t get those players except by drafting them which isn’t possible because the Oilers drafting and scouting has achieved some of the worst results in the league over the last decade or so. There’s no guarantee that the draft picks he traded for G Reinhart would have become good players either, people always overrate draft picks on this site, and Griffin was a good target because he fit the exact profile of what the Oilers need and if he broke out in the NHL he wouldn’t have been available after that. On top of all of this the Oilers have run into a ridiculous number of injuries that compounds the problem that Chiarelli inherited a mess. I understand the city of Edmonton needs a scapegoat and they look like they have chosen Peter Chiarelli but I’m just calling it like I see it - he’s a scapegoat. He’s a good GM who is taking the fall for extremely poor results at the draft table stretching back for over a decade before he was even hired and terrible injury luck that’s the result of having one of the least favourable travel schedules in the NHL which is also totally unfair.

In what world was the Lucic signing ever considered good? You can even look back into the signing thread and you can only see a few people at best defend that signing. It was going to be a bad signing from the get go. Also the Reinhart was same thing. Anyone that had seen Reinhart play had already seen that he was bad. The Oil haven't been in a good spot before he got here but he didn't make them any better with all these questionable trades that looked 50/50 at best (Thats being very generous on the Lucic signing).

Also Drake and players like him are the kind you need for depth. He should have been considered far more valuable than to give up for these slow defensemen you got out of the trade.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I was thinking more along the lines of Toews, Seabrook, decent young D-man, Winger prospect, 1st rd, 2nd rd & Hawks retain to equal salaries of Seabrook and Lucic
For
McDavid, Lucic
Seabrook, Forsling, Mitchell, Nordgren, 1st, 2nd for McDavid.;)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Again, I can't believe we got to make this trade.

We lost an overpriced 7th at best and a prospect that likely wasn't getting resigned and got an old defender and a decent-looking young forward.

As I was expecting us to eat part of his contract next year and give away a decent prospect to get him off our books, the fact that we got literally anything of value for nothing from our perspective is a veritable haul.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Wow. Didn't realize this trade happened the same day as the Petrovic trade.

1d54ef415ccadc9b0ee5eaabe6060d50--seinfeld-quotes-jerry-seinfeld.jpg

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t really see the fuss. None of these trades do anything really negative to any of the teams involved and I don’t see how Chicago came out really on top. Caggiulla is a guy I’ve seen Oiler fans talk about in terms of having a tough time getting rid of themselves.

Just a reshuffle of minor parts based on apparent wants or needs. Much ado about nothing.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I don’t really see the fuss. None of these trades do anything really negative to any of the teams involved and I don’t see how Chicago came out really on top. Caggiulla is a guy I’ve seen Oiler fans talk about in terms of having a tough time getting rid of themselves.

Just a reshuffle of minor parts based on apparent wants or needs. Much ado about nothing.

Cagguila can be buried and its only a small cap hit. Manning can be buried and its a mil plus cap hit. From Hawks POV they came out really well as they didn’t trade anything of value to net the savings and Manning was completely done in Chicago.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Cagguila can be buried and its only a small cap hit. Manning can be buried and its a mil plus cap hit. From Hawks POV they came out really well as they didn’t trade anything of value to net the savings and Manning was completely done in Chicago.
A million isn’t very much. The Canes are burying 4 million with Darling. I know the cap is the cap but the Oilers don’t have many options and no one move is going to change their fate other than a really bad one. I’m just not blown away in either direction here. Not worth all the dramatic opinions.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
A million isn’t very much. The Canes are burying 4 million with Darling. I know the cap is the cap but the Oilers don’t have many options and no one move is going to change their fate other than a really bad one. I’m just not blown away in either direction here. Not worth all the dramatic opinions.

Every dollar matters for the Hawks. Bowman has been sloppy with the cap post 2015 and he’s starting to undo some mistakes.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
All 4 players aren't very good so I guess Hawks win trade because of cap room they got

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad