Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Collin Delia (3 years, $1M AAV)

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
If I'm a 'future goalie', which I assume means starter, I take a one or two year deal and earn a starter's salary in years two or three. Adding term at this point does nothing for me financially.

I'm not even sure what you're going on about now. The initial post was to explain the difference between the contract of a starting goaltender with nearly a decade of professional experience and a backup goaltender with like twenty games of it.

That's literally all. Not commenting on Delia's upside whatsoever.

Calling him a ‘potential value backup’ isn’t commenting on his upside? What would you call that?

He had a terrific playoff run in the AHL last year and was playing lights out in the first half of the year in the AHL. Yeah he hasn’t played a crazy amount this year in the NHL but he’s taken a pretty ridiclous workload of high danger chances behind a poor defense and posted very high end numbers. He’s given the Blackhawks org a lot to be excited about and there’s a pretty damn good chance he’ll be the starter by year two of this deal. It’s a pretty great no risk deal for the Blackhawks and for sure not “nothing to see”.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I dont think it was that way from the onset. I think as they won into their second and third cup he started to have his "favorites" which in recent years led to a lot of frustration and head scratching moves as to why certain guys were on the roster and being played as much as they were over other guys

I dont think anyone questions Q inherited a near loaded roster to run with already on the brink of cup contenders thanks to the drafting and FA work from Uncle Dale by the time he took the reigns. For the most part Q just needed to not get in his own way and be a good bench boss, but he miscoached his way to a WCF loss to the Kings in 2014 for sure.

All I am saying is after several talent sheds due to the cap (which Stan should be blamed for the choices he made of who stayed/went and moves he should have made or not made), Q getting "his guys" slowly deteriorated the team to where they were this year as well. (Hello Kunitz, Manning, Rutta)

The years the hawks won the cup, the hawks had a roster that should have won the cup. I dont think Q exactly took any underdogs to glory in his tenure here.
Ahh, so when they did well, it was because Stan just brought in all the players without Q's input, but when they sucked, it was clearly because of Q having input. Hmm

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If I'm a 'future goalie', which I assume means starter, I take a one or two year deal and earn a starter's salary in years two or three. Adding term at this point does nothing for me financially.

I'm not even sure what you're going on about now. The initial post was to explain the difference between the contract of a starting goaltender with nearly a decade of professional experience and a backup goaltender with like twenty games of it.

That's literally all. Not commenting on Delia's upside whatsoever.
Fair enough, seemed like you were implying that all he is is a back up for 3 years. But that is not the intention. If I'm a 25 year old goalie who is finally getting a crack at the NHL, I take what is offered if it's guaranteed money.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Ahh, so when they did well, it was because Stan just brought in all the players without Q's input, but when they sucked, it was clearly because of Q having input. Hmm

You can form your own opinions and clearly you feel strongly about Q.

There are a number of coaches that could have won those cups with those rosters

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You can form your own opinions and clearly you feel strongly about Q.

There are a number of coaches that could have won those cups with those rosters
There are more coaches who could have won none, or 1 or 2. Player talk about Q is all I need to know how good he was.

Your double standard is dumb, though.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Calling him a ‘potential value backup’ isn’t commenting on his upside? What would you call that?

He had a terrific playoff run in the AHL last year and was playing lights out in the first half of the year in the AHL. Yeah he hasn’t played a crazy amount this year in the NHL but he’s taken a pretty ridiclous workload of high danger chances behind a poor defense and posted very high end numbers. He’s given the Blackhawks org a lot to be excited about and there’s a pretty damn good chance he’ll be the starter by year two of this deal. It’s a pretty great no risk deal for the Blackhawks and for sure not “nothing to see”.

If you read the rest the series of posts, you'll understand the context.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Clearly you don't pay attention to the Hawks. Delia is seen as a future goalie, and if you were offered 3mil when you have 15GP you would do the same.
If you had confidence in your ability to grow as a player, zero chance you're signing a 3 year deal at 1m each.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Sorry, guess I can't acknowledge the best Hawks coach in their history once in a while. Tired of people disrespecting him.

Yeah, it was time for a change, appreciate what he did.

it is staggering on how many can not accept the concept of turning the corner in the org. that is what the org did by setting up for the next step of the continue growth the Bhawks needed to do.

lets not dwell on the past and look at the future, the future wins and excitement that is surely will come. this team is exciting to look at.

continue that improvement !!!

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If you had confidence in your ability to grow as a player, zero chance you're signing a 3 year deal at 1m each.
how old is Delia ?? this deal is a win for Delia camp and Delia knows it.... he will continue in his development !!

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
do you really think that Delia at this moment is a #1 goaie ??

this is the main question that he was prob be shown, is he ready to step in and take that #1 responsibility, pressure and everything else that comes with being a #1 goalie ??

this is what Delia camp is looking at. this yr is a small spect of an introduction to the NHL. plus he has the hot hand now. how much of that is real ??

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Are you aware of what a resumé is?

One of those goalies has hundreds of games of professional experience. The other is two years removed from college.

Delia. Potential value backup signing a three year deal to fill the quota for the expansion draft. Nothing to see here.
So overpay for some guy who accomplished nothing in the NHL just cuz you international resume?

Hahahahahahaha

Reactions: LDF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad