Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Collin Delia (3 years, $1M AAV)

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Look it’s easy to rip Chia but I mean the guy was about to be fired even before the contract, you think others didn’t sign off on that? They did. He’s a bad GM, but so is everyone else in that organization.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Pistol pete strikes again

boston-bruins-peter-chiarelli-41015.jpg

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
good deal and takes him to ufa, gives good reason to play well the next few years while they wait for future vezina winner alexis gravel

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Delia looks real good, could end up becoming their starter down the road if he keeps it up. Great deal for both sides IMO.

Reactions: LDF

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Pistol pete strikes again

Are you aware of what a resumé is?

One of those goalies has hundreds of games of professional experience. The other is two years removed from college.

Delia. Potential value backup signing a three year deal to fill the quota for the expansion draft. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Are you aware of what a resumé is?

One of those goalies has hundreds of games of professional experience. The other is two years removed from college.

Delia. Potential value backup signing a the year deal to fill the quota for the expansion draft. Nothing to see here.
anything is possible and you do make a point. either way as the consensus is stating, it is a win - win for both the play and the org.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Always nice to see a guy from California make it, even if he does play for the Hawks. Should nickname him the Rancho Cucamonga Kid.
Done. Would have done it for that username anyway, but the fact that it’s also a workaholics reference...

Reactions: LDF

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Edmonton's contracts are so bad that they dont even impact contracts around the league, the rest of the GMs and agents knew they were out to lunch.

Reactions: Arcade Fire

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Unreal signing.. love this.

Going to be a starter making backup money at some point during this because he has come in and been an absolute beauty.

Yeah I was going to say... is Delia not leaving money on the table here? Great signing

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Good for both. Player gets some stability. Team gets expansion draft covered. Player has only had a handful of games so you can't commit big dollars to him. But if he pans out, he is a UFA at 27. Plus he can be buried if he has to be.

This seems like two parties that both just worked together. If he explodes, it's amazing for the Hawks. If he starts playing like a 3rd string goalie next season, it's great for the player.

Reactions: wej20

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yeah I was going to say... is Delia not leaving money on the table here? Great signing

Not really, I mean he split last year between the ECHL and AHL (with 2 NHL games) so it isn't like he has a huge track record (14 career NHL games). He could have potentially earned more if he took a 1 year deal (probably around 750k) then had another solid season next year but by taking this he's guaranteeing himself 3 million plus will become an UFA at 27.

Reactions: Scrantonicity 2

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Seems like a few of these contracts going around to make sure everyone had a goalie to expose in the expansion draft

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Dude you're getting a... Delia?

(He hasn't looked half awful yet? I have only spotty sightings.)

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not going as far as to say that Q had an equal share of voice in personnel moves but if anything it's clear Stan at least operated in a way that much of his past decisions were influenced by what Q wanted and Q preferred

Not all great players make great coaches (Gretzky). Not all great coaches make great GMs (sather).
If Q had a say in what he wanted, thank god for that, because the Hawks won 3 Cups with players he wanted.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Delia. Potential value backup signing a three year deal to fill the quota for the expansion draft. Nothing to see here.
This is not at all what this is. Delia is seen to be the future goalie in Chicago, he looks really good, so far. Not saying he will be, but he is being signed to be the future, not just a back up until the expansion draft.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is not at all what this is. Delia is seen to be the future goalie in Chicago, he looks really good, so far. Not saying he will be, but he is being signed to be the future, not just a back up until the expansion draft.
You misunderstood.

There are a lot of backups signing for that the year term because of the expansion draft. This is exactly what this is. Same as Pittsburgh and DeSmith.

If Delia was 'goalie of the future', his agent would've been able to pull a lot more than $1m out of a three year term. Must have something to do with that resumé.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You misunderstood.

There are a lot of backups signing for that the year term because of the expansion draft. This is exactly what this is. Same as Pittsburgh and DeSmith.

If Delia was 'goalie of the future', his agent would've been able to pull a lot more than $1m out of a three year term. Must have something to do with that resumé.
Clearly you don't pay attention to the Hawks. Delia is seen as a future goalie, and if you were offered 3mil when you have 15GP you would do the same.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
If Q had a say in what he wanted, thank god for that, because the Hawks won 3 Cups with players he wanted.

I dont think it was that way from the onset. I think as they won into their second and third cup he started to have his "favorites" which in recent years led to a lot of frustration and head scratching moves as to why certain guys were on the roster and being played as much as they were over other guys

I dont think anyone questions Q inherited a near loaded roster to run with already on the brink of cup contenders thanks to the drafting and FA work from Uncle Dale by the time he took the reigns. For the most part Q just needed to not get in his own way and be a good bench boss, but he miscoached his way to a WCF loss to the Kings in 2014 for sure.

All I am saying is after several talent sheds due to the cap (which Stan should be blamed for the choices he made of who stayed/went and moves he should have made or not made), Q getting "his guys" slowly deteriorated the team to where they were this year as well. (Hello Kunitz, Manning, Rutta)

The years the hawks won the cup, the hawks had a roster that should have won the cup. I dont think Q exactly took any underdogs to glory in his tenure here.

Reactions: SoCalFan

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Looks like a solid deal for Hawks. Like I said they should go all in after Brobrovsky and Panarin this summer. Team would be dangerous!!!

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Clearly you don't pay attention to the Hawks. Delia is seen as a future goalie, and if you were offered 3mil when you have 15GP you would do the same.
If I'm a 'future goalie', which I assume means starter, I take a one or two year deal and earn a starter's salary in years two or three. Adding term at this point does nothing for me financially.

I'm not even sure what you're going on about now. The initial post was to explain the difference between the contract of a starting goaltender with nearly a decade of professional experience and a backup goaltender with like twenty games of it.

That's literally all. Not commenting on Delia's upside whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->