Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CBJ] Panarin, Motte, 6th for Saad, Forsberg, 2018 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Panarin is better than Saad. Saad is cost controlled which is valuable to the Blackhawks who may not be able to pay to retain Panarin in two seasons.

Is that not the story of this trade?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Panarin was great, and could score a bunch of points, but outside of that, he doesn't help the Hawks much (He was getting too predictable on the PP, doesn't PK, play defense, or play the body much at all). He's a perimeter player on a team full of them. I don't think the Hawks offense misses a beat with Saad instead of Panarin, but without Hossa, our team is worse defensively, and that had to be fixed.
It's amazing, while you are hawk - you're this amazing offensive juggernaut threat, the moment you leave, you became predictable, one dimensional, perimeter(russian?) player.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Panarin is better than Saad. Saad is cost controlled which is valuable to the Blackhawks who may not be able to pay to retain Panarin in two seasons.

That and Saads two way play is more needed now than Panarins one dimensional play, with the loss of Hossa.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Maybe the media and hive mind story. The tail of the tape on both players tells a different story. It will play out this season. Lots of ways this trade could go.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
At an even salary, I think Chicago is better off with Saad over Panarin, especially with the loss of Hossa. We need another body that will go to the corners, the front of the net, that can play a regular shift in the top 6.

Panarin was great, and could score a bunch of points, but outside of that, he doesn't help the Hawks much (He was getting too predictable on the PP, doesn't PK, play defense, or play the body much at all). He's a perimeter player on a team full of them. I don't think the Hawks offense misses a beat with Saad instead of Panarin, but without Hossa, our team is worse defensively, and that had to be fixed.

I am OK with this trade, Panarin will probably still get his points, and Columbus needs a player like him more than they need a player like Saad.

So Saad is going to replace Hossa's production AND Panarin's production? If Saad is playing on Toews' line, who is going to make up Panarin's 70+ points?

Maybe Schmaltz will take that next step and be great next season, but I kind of doubt it. I do like Schmaltz but he is nowhere close to Panarin offensively. DeBrincat is totally unknown and in all likelihood not NHL ready.

Hawks fans are not realizing that there could be another common denominator that was present in the last Cup wins but not present now. And it's not "Saad = Cups and Panarin = no Cups" which is such a stupid mentality I can't even believe so many people are buying it.

It's LACK OF DEPTH because Kane and Toews are so much higher paid. The 10.5 million contracts didn't kick in until after the 2015 Cup win, which, coincidentally, is also when Panarin came.

Lol at "Panarin didn't do anything for the Hawks except score points." Yeah, and scoring points helps win you games, doesn't it? If Chicago hadn't struck gold with the Panarin acquisition they very likely could have missed the playoffs in 2016, since he, Kane, and Crawford dragged that team kicking and screaming into the postseason.

I really think so many Blackhawks fans are underestimating the hit the offense will take without Panarin. I understand wanting to bring in Saad to make up for the loss of Hossa, but a 53-point player is not going to make up for a 45-point player AND a 74-point player.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
1, Saad stopped progressing in Columbus. That's not the Hawks' fault and it will be fixed. 2, the guys who play with Kane will make up the difference in production.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It's amazing, while you are hawk - you're this amazing offensive juggernaut threat, the moment you leave, you became predictable, one dimensional, perimeter(russian?) player.
He was an amazing offensive juggernaut, and still probably is.

Before he left, he was far too predictable on the PP, he stood at the top of the circle waiting for a cross ice feed from Kane, every single time.

He has always been one dimensional, are you arguing that? If so, I question your hockey knowledge.
And yes, he was a perimeter player the majority of the time. Not too many clips of him scoring goals from inside the dots.

And no, none of this is because he is Russian, or an ex-Hawk, it’s reality.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What the hell are you talking about? Is that why your boy Kane said he was emotional and disappointed to see Panarin traded, even going so far as to ask Panarin's agent at the draft to tell Panarin he loves him?

Everybody on the team loved Panarin, and he was a huge fan favorite in Chicago. "Cancer to this team" is just so ridiculous, where on earth did you even come up with this?

Panarin is, full stop, a better player than Saad. Not just a better offensive player. You can argue Saad will make the team "all-around better" if you want (an opinion I do not agree with, but it's certainly debatable), however straight up Panarin is better than Saad.

I even posted a poll about it here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2362611&highlight=

It quickly got locked for lopsidedness.

I'm not sure if this has the seriousness of care that public opinion on a board is considered some conversational end all as if public consensus ever grantees truth.

But you have value judgements based on many things, some equate generating points or preventing them differently as well as what they think about Gar or shots for/against n considering role usage

WhiteWings*

Sep 1, 2016
LOL about Saad's being gritty and his corners and body work. He had the lowest amount of hits among Columbus regulars, he had way less hits than Cam Atkinson(!). And Wennberg(!) had to fight to defend him.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Again have the mention one would consider this, oh post trade but there was a huge growing opinion about this by Hawks fans watching him every game

It can be found in constant posts or debated in hawks based podcasts from February & March. It really took off when he scored 2 goals for a long while post allstar break.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
LOL about Saad's being gritty and his corners and body work. He had the lowest amount of hits among Columbus regulars, he had way less hits than Cam Atkinson(!). And Wennberg(!) had to fight to defend him.

Who wants hits or thinks that's a positive still about players like this?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So Saad is going to replace Hossa's production AND Panarin's production? If Saad is playing on Toews' line, who is going to make up Panarin's 70+ points?

Maybe Schmaltz will take that next step and be great next season, but I kind of doubt it. I do like Schmaltz but he is nowhere close to Panarin offensively. DeBrincat is totally unknown and in all likelihood not NHL ready.

Hawks fans are not realizing that there could be another common denominator that was present in the last Cup wins but not present now. And it's not "Saad = Cups and Panarin = no Cups" which is such a stupid mentality I can't even believe so many people are buying it.

It's LACK OF DEPTH because Kane and Toews are so much higher paid. The 10.5 million contracts didn't kick in until after the 2015 Cup win, which, coincidentally, is also when Panarin came.

Lol at "Panarin didn't do anything for the Hawks except score points." Yeah, and scoring points helps win you games, doesn't it? If Chicago hadn't struck gold with the Panarin acquisition they very likely could have missed the playoffs in 2016, since he, Kane, and Crawford dragged that team kicking and screaming into the postseason.

I really think so many Blackhawks fans are underestimating the hit the offense will take without Panarin. I understand wanting to bring in Saad to make up for the loss of Hossa, but a 53-point player is not going to make up for a 45-point player AND a 74-point player.

When did I say Saad is going to replace Hossa, and Panarin?

Saad could replace quite a bit of Panarins offense, and could (and the Hawks hope) reignite Toews to play better to make up that difference in Panarin and Saads production. Not to mention, our overall team defense will be better with Saad instead of Panarin, preventing more goals from being scored against. I really don’t think the goal differential between the two will be far off, despite Panarin being better offensively.

I don’t think I have said anything regarding Saad=Cups, Panarin=No cups.

And yes, our young guys absolutely can get better offensively. Schmaltz more than likely will have a better season, considering his first half wasn’t good at all last year. He will probably add 10-20more points to his total.

Sharp is coming in to replace some of the offense we lost in Hossa, can’t forget that addition. I think our depth this year will be better than in the past two years, with the additions of Wingels, and Bouma plus an extra year for Hartman, Kero.

Yeah, scoring points helps you win games, so does palying defense, killing penalties, and going to the net and creating room for linemates.

I like Panarin, but Saad is better for the Hawks over the next 4 years both on the ice, and on the cap.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

When Saad was in Chicago, he was one of our best at cycling the puck along the boards, going to the net, and using his body to protect the puck.

I haven't seen anybody mention anything about hits.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Duh! That's because he didn't like Columbus much, but for Toews Chicago, he's going to lay those guys in bunches.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Production-wise, Saad is about as consistent as you can get. He produces 50 points regardless of his linemates, PP usage, TOI, etc.

I'm pretty sure he could only play one game next season but it'd be a 53 point game for him.

Silver Tuna

Easy on the Pepsi!!
Jun 4, 2011
Georgetown, ON
Like most I agree panarin is the better player but what doesn't seem to be talked about on the pages I'm reading is how panarin is going to gel with torts.
If anyone isn't a torts guy it's panarin.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Like most I agree panarin is the better player but what doesn't seem to be talked about on the pages I'm reading is how panarin is going to gel with torts.

Supposedly Torts said he's going to "let Panarin play and stay out of his way." Obviously whether he sticks to his word will be important to find out, but at least Tortorella is acknowledging that he knows Panarin takes risks offensively and that the best way to use Panarin is to essentially let him play.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Oh, so you mean he's still a possession driving machine then?

The less a player has to hit, the better that player typically is. Saad's size is great for puck retrieval, protecting the puck, working the cycle.... all things that help teams generate shots and goals, and suppress the other team from taking their own.

The last thing I want Saad doing is chasing the puck and throwing hits. If THAT was how he was spending his time in Columbus, then I'd be really worried about this trade.

Story of the trade is that given recent events, the Blackhawks need a Hossa Lite a lot more than they need a Patrick Kane Lite. They have the full calorie Patrick Kane, after all.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
1, Saad stopped progressing in Columbus. That's not the Hawks' fault and it will be fixed.

Funny, certain folks insisted he was going to regress coming here. Much like how there's a few folks insisting that Panarin can't possibly produce as well here.

I think the trade makes a lot more sense for the Blackhawks than folks are quick to assume, but c'mon. It's as though y'all feel it can't possibly be good for the Hawks unless Panarin secretly was the worst 70+ point scorer of all time.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
1. I think Panarin has clearly more skill than Saad
2. Saad's contract is better.
3. I am highly uncertain about how well Panarin will fit in CBJ. I can see several problems. I see very few problems with Saad in CHI.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013

Idk, I just hope with these young Columbus dmen (Jones, Werenski, Murray etc.) will be able to get him the puck as much as the Blackhawks dmen did. It's going to be a bit hard to do while Torts is yelling at him to block shots from the bench. Hopefully Wennberg doesn't hog the puck on the power play too! Don't want Panarin's numbers to drop off like Saad's did while in cbus.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Funny, certain folks insisted he was going to regress coming here. Much like how there's a few folks insisting that Panarin can't possibly produce as well here.

I think the trade makes a lot more sense for the Blackhawks than folks are quick to assume, but c'mon. It's as though y'all feel it can't possibly be good for the Hawks unless Panarin secretly was the worst 70+ point scorer of all time.

I like it as is, even if nothing changes. If you get the year 1 Panarin, we lost the trade. That guy was on his way to PPG and more importantly, he was a game breaker. If you get the point compiler of year two, you'll have to tell us what you think. I can see how that might be a better fit for the Jackets given their roster. However, on the flip side, Saad could step up to a 30 goal / 60-65 point guy back in Chicago and Panarin could fall to about the same or lower without Kane. This thing will not be decided until this time next year. I assume it will be a win-win but who knows. Torts and Panarin and no Russian translator is scary. You guys need to pick up a Russian speaking center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad