Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CBJ] Panarin, Motte, 6th for Saad, Forsberg, 2018 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
The trade will be a win-win for both teams in the short-term. I think it will be a long-term win for Chicago based on the fact that they couldn't afford to re-sign Panarin after 2 years. If CBJ can convince Panarin to re-sign at a reasonable cap hit after his contract expires, then it will likely be a win for them in the long-run as well.

You keep telling yourself that, whatever helps you feel better about this pathetic trade lol

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
You keep telling yourself that, whatever helps you feel better about this pathetic trade lol
funny....

before the trade happened you said Saad was a Superstar and it was the biggest mistake ever to trade him away.

Now it is a pathetic trade? Hawks get the slightly worse Player being 2 years younger and having 2 years longer contract that evens it out.

going by Needs and Quality, thats a good hockey trade and win win for both.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Only if he plays with Kane which hopefully he does
That would strike me as odd given that one of the supposed rationales was that Kane can be awesome with just about anybody but Toews needs the right sort of player to work with and Saad is ostensibly proven in that regard.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
funny....

before the trade happened you said Saad was a Superstar and it was the biggest mistake ever to trade him away.

Now it is a pathetic trade? Hawks get the slightly worse Player being 2 years younger and having 2 years longer contract that evens it out.

going by Needs and Quality, thats a good hockey trade and win win for both.

In addition, Chicago has a new backup goaltender.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
That would strike me as odd given that one of the supposed rationales was that Kane can be awesome with just about anybody but Toews needs the right sort of player to work with and Saad is ostensibly proven in that regard.

I don't think Saad will score 50 pts playing with Toews... Yeah, Toews is this bad nowadays.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Shh . Blackhawks and toews are magic just don't ever question toews.

Toews Era could appear at any moment if you don't think this through

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Having a solid constant linemate isn't often something players get with Q the way for the most time Panarin Anisimov and Kane all had.

People all talk about the solid Saad with Toews combo because 2013 & 15 it working for Toews. But 2014 Saad played well a lot with Kane and the mix up the final 2015 playoff games Saad was with Richards & Kane, and defensive plays by Saad helped get the puck in the Keith goal then he created the drive for Kanes put away goal.

But if Schmaltz grows at wing more he may be a fit like he was late last year to play with Toews and have him succeed like he did in February.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I don't think Saad will score 50 pts playing with Toews... Yeah, Toews is this bad nowadays.
My God man :shakehead. Toews had almost the same PPG this year as he did in 2015, despite playing through an injury and playing with Schmaltz and Panik instead of Saad and Hossa. We get it, you like Russian players, and you really like Panarin. That's fine, he's a great player, and a better scorer than Saad. But that doesn't mean we have to live in this fantasy land where Toews sucks, and the Hawks don't need help in the areas of the game where Saad is better than Panarin. I think most reasonable people with knowledge of each team are calling it a good trade all around.

If a few idiots feel the need to bash the player their team traded, the solution is to call them idiots, not bash the other player.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Only if he plays with Kane which hopefully he does

Why would they pick up a possession-driving 5v5 scorer that plays against tough competition, just to put him on an incredibly sheltered line?

That's like acquiring Bergeron and giving him 80% OZ starts. Yeah, he'd be great at it, but you're kinda missing out on the qualities that make him really valuable.

Q always juggles, so Saad may very well see some time on that line if Kane struggles for whatever reason, but you want Saad playing the tougher minutes in the Hossa lite role, so that Kane can do what he does and get good numbers out of players facing downy soft minutes.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'd bet you your account that doesn't happen. If that doesn't come true you no longer post and the account gets deleted. I'll put mine up against you. I loved Saad since before he was drafted and he has grown as a favorite of mine and I wish him nothing but 100pt seasons but his playstyle doesn't likely get him that. He is about a 65pt max ceiling amazing season guy. He will likey sit in the 55pt 30 goal range. Especially of he is playing on Toews line and not with Kane.

And saying he scores more then Panarin next year and that somehow Panarin drops to a 55pt player is beyond bias revisionist history. He's not going to fall off a cliff moving from Chicago to the 6th highest scoring team in the league. Look at what our PP did the first half of the year last year and now add him... It's like people think this is the early 00s blue jackets. We are coming off of winning 4 awards nominated for 5 and being by far the most improved team and were the youngest team last year only I think maybe just got younger. Panarin will hit 70pts and lead the jackets scoring to at least 2nd round game 7 maybe 3rd depending on health and Bob.

Well, yeah, I'll take the bet but I've disappeared for years at a time before! I don't want to see you stop posting because I was right. Let's do something else. Just leave it at who scores more points this coming season, Saad or Panarin. Whoever loses has to have an avatar of the traded away player in their new jersey with the caption "Better than Saad/Panarin" for the entire offseason and it gets put up before the draft. Deal?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
So... Panarin gave his first interview last night since the trade and let's just say it's ... interesting.

Some highlights of it:

- What was your first reaction to the news about the exchange in Columbus?

"Not a very pleasant reaction. I understand that nothing terrible has happened. And I think that everything is for the best. But it turned out so unexpectedly that I fell into a light confusion. I do not know how to call this state. However, a lot of thoughts began to circulate in my head. How to move there? What to do? How? Why?

It took a day, and the next morning I realized that there was no problem. This can happen to every NHL player. But understand, there were no rumors! I did not have time to prepare mentally. Would perceive the news without problems. And then there are women, a bolt from the blue."

"I repeat that the transition to Columbus - not a problem at all. After the exchange in "Columbus" for me, these esemaski (??) collapsed in a heap. And I closed for two weeks from everyone. I do not like all this excitement."

It's not like an exchange from St. Petersburg to Nizhnekamsk, is it?" Columbus is a neat campus.
- I did not go much there. But I played in a small Chekhov, so you will not surprise me with small towns. Normal to this attitude. Hence, the concentration on hockey will be higher.

And what is important, in the NHL there is no such that one team is weaker than the other. Approximately the same clubs, the standard of living in the city. So there is no problem. On the contrary, I want to train even more. Such moments harden and give impetus to development."

- Under your number 72 in "Columbus" stands Sergei Bobrovsky. Did not they offer him a coin toss?
- Or maybe the NHL will allow us to take it in turn through the game? I did not even ask Sergei, of course. It is clear that a person is older than me. For a long time playing in the NHL. In general, the goalkeeper with two "Veziny". I have zero chances!

"And what did you do?"
- I took the nine, folding seven and two. I remember, somehow in the national team performed under this number. And in general I love how he looks. I'm not that superstitious. I take numbers that I like.

The interview can be found here: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/995689

I used google translate.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I wouldn't really put 100% trust Google translate, but based off of the things players have said about playing Chicago over the last few years, I would say it's normal for Panarin to be disappointed at first.

At the end of the day, he's still doing what he loves which is playing hockey, so this really isn't news for me.

The guy went from a highly successful original six team from a major American city to an expansion team that has not won a playoff series in their existence (is that right?) in a market that is about a third of the size.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Love Panarin and his honesty. Natural to be shocked going from the best to an "unknown'. I'm sure he'll be fine, Columbus seems fine. CBJ seems like a fine org on the upswing.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
If we are looking at individual skill alone Panarin is better. However factoring in position, contract, age and overall contribution to success id say its a win/win

Really surprising to see this trade happen with the lack of C depth in Columbus.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If we are looking at individual skill alone Panarin is better. However factoring in position, contract, age and overall contribution to success id say its a win/win

Really surprising to see this trade happen with the lack of C depth in Columbus.

I think it's just a case of them betting against Patrick Kane being a Hart quality player and the Hawks thinking the opposite. We'll see.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think it's just a case of them betting against Patrick Kane being a Hart quality player and the Hawks thinking the opposite. We'll see.

It's a case of the Jackets pro scouts being able to judge talent independently from the player's linemates. Has nothing to do with an evaluation of Kane's abilities.

Both teams know what they have in Panarin and Saad. Jackets got the better player. Chicago got a more cap friendly player.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's a case of the Jackets pro scouts being able to judge talent independently from the player's linemates. Has nothing to do with an evaluation of Kane's abilities.

Both teams know what they have in Panarin and Saad. Jackets got the better player. Chicago got a more cap friendly player.

See, I think it's going to work out that the Blackhawks got the better player and the better cap hit. We'll see. The only reason people say Panarin is better is his production. That goes down and all the dangles in the world don't mean anything. The Jackets NEED Panarin to hit 70 points, which would be a career low for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad