Confirmed Trade: [CHI/ARI] Nick Schmaltz for Brendan Perlini and Dylan Strome

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's funny that Strome has more points that any player on Arizona, even though he scored basically nothing while playing for Arizona, and got off to a very poor start with Chicago.

So, after getting 12 points in his first 34 games, he has 37 points in his last 32 games (a 95 point pace over close to half a season).

Keller has 45 points in 71 games.

Keller's 82 game rate is 51 points, Strome's is 61, including his time with Arizona. With Chicago, his 82 game rate is 77 points, with a steep upward trend.

And yet Arizona has 57pts since the trade (the fifth most in the WC since 11/26/18) and Chicago has just 48pts (10th out of 15 WC teams in that span).

Prior to the trade, Arizona was 13th in the WC in points. So they've improved tremendously in terms of results since the trade, while Chicago (11th in WC points prior to the trade) has continued to struggle to get points as a team.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
And yet Arizona has 57pts since the trade (the fifth most in the WC since 11/26/18) and Chicago has just 48pts (10th out of 15 WC teams in that span).

Prior to the trade, Arizona was 13th in the WC in points. So they've improved tremendously in terms of results since the trade, while Chicago (11th in WC points prior to the trade) has continued to struggle to get points as a team.
They didn't improve because of the trade, that's just silly talk.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Hawks havent had a consistently healthy goalie in like 2 years

rt

May 13, 2004
They didn't improve because of the trade, that's just silly talk.
I’m not framing that as my argument. I’m highlighting the equal silliness of “Strome would be Arizona’s best player” narrative the other poster was attempting to form. Strome wasn’t going to get those chances here and the team has improved despite the fact that such a talented player has left.

I like Strome. I’m sad he’s gone. I want him to succeed. I’m attempting to mitigate this stupid pissing contest, not further it.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
During the 11/27 - 12/30 span:
Schmaltz: Pts/GP = 0.82
Keller: Pts/GP = 0.88

Outside of that span:
Schmaltz: Pts/GP = 0.48
Keller: Pts/GP = 0.56

Schmaltz centering Keller made both players explode offensively.....

I don't disagree with what you've said, but I think saying "explode offensively" might be a bit of an exaggeration, as they would be on pace for 72 and 68 points respectively.

Other than compared to the usual Coyotes offensive numbers of course.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't disagree with what you've said, but I think saying "explode offensively" might be a bit of an exaggeration, as they would be on pace for 72 and 68 points respectively.

Other than compared to the usual Coyotes offensive numbers of course.
Exactly. Nobody on the coyotes ever scores. The last guy toscore 70 points was ray Whitney and that was like seven years ago

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I only caught a handful of UND games, a couple of handfuls of USA games, and a handful of Hawks games. I must’ve caught him on good nights. Because I generally saw the player I see now in Phoenix. It’s interesting when that happens. Sometimes you catch guys on bad nights. Sometimes on good ones.

How the heck did you catch so many games at so many levels? Are you a professional scout, or just a guy lucky enough to have a ton of free time? Either way, I’m jealous. I’d love to watch that much hockey.
I have a lot of free time, sure. Single and young. I also knew a scout for the Gamblers. I’m from Chicago, but also lived in North Dakota. Catch a lot of UND, was at the frozen four they won in Tampa as well. It’s followed him his whole career and I’ve seen both sides. Seen good effort Nick and poor effort Nick.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If only we didn't have a complete bonehead of a gm he would have realized that Strome is talented, able to be gotten cheaply, Mcdavids best friend, and would explode when playing with Connor.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If only we didn't have a complete bonehead of a gm he would have realized that Strome is talented, able to be gotten cheaply, Mcdavids best friend, and would explode when playing with Connor.
AZ GM really wanted Smaltz. Asked several times to acquire him and was turned down. Had to put both former first rounders to get him.

Smaltz was not a cheap value player.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

The Yotes didn't really improve as much with him in the lineup. Their record is better since he went down with the injury.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Wouldn't trade Panik for Perlini? That seems silly considering Panik is a 28yo UFA at years end vs. Perlini who is a 23?yo RFA

Well, Panik has helped us a lot more than Perlini ever has. Glad to see him putting it together in Chicago, but man was he invisible the seasons he played here. Unlike Strome he got some pretty decent playing time and linemates too.

Panik sucks when he's off, and he's super inconsistent, but he at least gets hot and has contributed to this playoff push.

Panik just turned 28 less than a month ago, not that it matters much.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Well, Panik has helped us a lot more than Perlini ever has. Glad to see him putting it together in Chicago, but man was he invisible the seasons he played here. Unlike Strome he got some pretty decent playing time and linemates too.

Panik sucks when he's off, and he's super inconsistent, but he at least gets hot and has contributed to this playoff push.

Panik just turned 28 less than a month ago, not that it matters much.
Perlini had a similar stat line last year as what Panik has this year. Perlini is worth more than Panik right now, so I doubt your GM or any GM would agree.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Panik is the better player right now (right now meaning this season, not the last two weeks).

Perlini is the better asset (5 years younger and will be an RFA (not UFA) this summer).

rt

May 13, 2004
Two weeks ago there was doubt that Chicago was even going to qualify him. This wouldn’t be an argument before the current hot streak. It’s not different than Anthony Duclair at this point. Maybe Perlini turns it around, maybe not. The Coyotes were clearly sick of him. Much like Duclair.

As a fan, I wouldn’t have traded Duclair for Panik. I wouldn’t have given up on Perlini either. The GM has show he was right in the case of Duclair. Odds are he’s also not wrong about Perlini. It certainly looked that way until VERY recently. We’ll see how it turns out.

rt

May 13, 2004
Panik is the better player right now (right now meaning this season, not the last two weeks).

Perlini is the better asset (5 years younger and will be an RFA (not UFA) this summer).
I doubt the Coyotes being Panik back. Even so, I doubt they’d trade him for Perlini. In fact, I’m pretty certain they wouldn’t.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Strome is yet another example of a player being unable to outplay his situation.

Scott Mayfield was almost launched into orbit last year by Isles fans. Now we have a real coach and Mayfield is blooming.

situation > talent
In that case, every Oilers player should be moved immediately.

Reactions: Riseonfire

rt

May 13, 2004
Thats because of the goalie.
Our starter has been injured all season long. You’re saying the back up goalie is the reason the team has had some mild success? You’re completely wrong. Kuemper has been fine. He’s having success because of the team. The credit goes to Rick Tocchet, not Darcy Kuemper. You’re way off base even by your own standards, which are generally way over the left-field wall.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Schmaltz has 14 points in 17 games for Arizona this season (0.82 PPG)

Strome has 44 points in 47 games for Chicago this season. (0.93 PPG)

The trade isn't that bad for Arizona. Strome may have never had that type of success in Arizona.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Perlini had a similar stat line last year as what Panik has this year. Perlini is worth more than Panik right now, so I doubt your GM or any GM would agree.

Panik did it in nearly 10 less games though, which isn't insignificant. More importantly before the trade Perlini had 6 in 22, and was pretty useless away from the puck and made some big mistakes during that time. He is younger and has more value but Panik has pretty consistently been better and I can't speak about his time in Chicago, but he's a lot less prone to defensive mistakes than Perlini was in Arizona.

He definitely has more value than Panik, but I don't think any GM would agree that he's been better or more helpful for Arizona than Panik this year, Panik has, somewhat shockingly, been pretty clutch in this playoff run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad