Confirmed Trade: [CHI/ARI] Nick Schmaltz for Brendan Perlini and Dylan Strome

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Perlini isn't very good. He rides hot streaks to make his numbers look better and is otherwise a non-factor.

This is Perlini's 3rd season and he's still only 22 years old.

Patrick Sharp was much worse at the same age. He turned out ok.
Let's not write Perlini off yet.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
So the on ice shooting percentage is unsustainable because he's on a line with debrincat who is a top 5 sniper in the league right now?

Is the production of people who play on a line with stamkos, ovechkin, etc unsustainable too?

This is where stats are completely useless when you ignore context.

If strome had an unreal on ice shooting percentage centering a line of Marcus Kruger and Chris kunitz, fine. But saying he can't sustain production on a line of guys who can bury the puck just doesn't make sense. He's getting the puck to guys who have lethal shots and they're burying it. Anyone watching these games know the goals are far from lucky or flukey. The release and shots are overpowering goalies. These arent terrible goals that goalies are letting leak through
Top 5 sniper right now? Chill out bro

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Going forward I think:

Perlini - 20g/15a/35pts
Strome - 20g/50a/70pts

Schmaltz - 20g/55a/75pts (if Arizona surrounds him with talent.. otherwise 15g/45a)

75 points for Schmaltz? There is nothing in Schmaltz play which indicates he's be a 75 point player, especially playing with Arizona, where no one ever gets even 70 points.

Strome, on the other hand, has been a 75+ point pace with Chicago already, and plays with some real talent.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
So Perlini is having a great year because of Strome? Anyone else not named Kane/Debrincat?
Perlini has had a great last two weeks because he's been on a line with DeBrincat and Strome. We're not Arizona, we're not putting Strome with guys who can't provide dick for offense and then expressing disappointment he's not putting up points.

No, he's not the type who can do it all by himself. There are a lot of skilled top liners who can't. But he's excelled when he's playing with talent.

I've read damn near all the discussions you Yotes fans have had on your boards about the trade. I know all the crap you've said about his performance, all the while you are somehow a season ticket holder for the Hawks. I can't say you see what you want to see, but the stats and all the other people who watch Strome play while with Chicago can all tell you the same thing, you are wrong about him.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
So Perlini is having a great year because of Strome? Anyone else not named Kane/Debrincat?

What do you expect? Place him with Kunitz and Kruger and see if they have great years?
Good players should play with good players. He's elevated Cat to a point per game level. Kane's godly hot streak started when he arrived. Kahun and Perlini looked great on his wings too. He's been more consistent then Toews on a game to game basis for producing offense the last 30 games or so. Every night he's dangerous, creating plays.

Hawks have found their Jason Spezza lite, who will be their 2Cs for many years to come, and hopefully their 1C.

Fortier40

Oct 15, 2017
What do you expect? Place him with Kunitz and Kruger and see if they have great years?
Good players should play with good players. He's elevated Cat to a point per game level. Kane's godly hot streak started when he arrived. Kahun and Perlini looked great on his wings too. He's been more consistent then Toews on a game to game basis for producing offense the last 30 games or so. Every night he's dangerous, creating plays.

Hawks have found their Jason Spezza lite, who will be their 2Cs for many years to come, and hopefully their 1C.

Agree with that, watched every game since the trade lots of goals where he didnt get points was in part due to his play before the goal.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I hate the argument that player x is only good cause of player y. If thats the case why can't no one put up points with McDavid outside of their other two fwds.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Let’s not get carried away over one season here. Ovi, Kucherov, Kane, Pasta, Stamkos, Matthews, Seguin, Etc to name a few. All these guys have pedigree too

A player who scored just under 30 goals in a third line role last season and is on pace to break forty this season is better than a lot of the players you listed. Pasta doesn’t belong on the list Matthews hasn’t lived up to his 40 goal rookie year, Seguin doesn’t even have 30, Stamkos hasnt been in the rocket race for multiple seasons now elite. DeBrincat being able to score more without getting the minutes they all do makes him better than a lot of the players you listed

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
You must think William Karlsson is still a top 5 goal scorer too then right?

Better to use actual stats from this season than to rely on what players did multiple seasons ago while tossing out all recent data. You may as well throw in Kovalchuk, Marleau, and Gaborik if you want to keep sticking to past guys.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I'm a Hawks fan, and I think Cat is definitely top 10, probably not top 5.

I think Oveckin, Kucherov, Laine, Matthews are the undisputed top 4, and then it's anyones opinion between Tarasenko, Pastrnak, Debrincat, Boeser, Tavares, Kane, Crosby, etc.

This kid has a crazy release though.

Cat also has the benefit of being the only RH shot on forward.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
A player who scored just under 30 goals in a third line role last season and is on pace to break forty this season is better than a lot of the players you listed. Pasta doesn’t belong on the list Matthews hasn’t lived up to his 40 goal rookie year, Seguin doesn’t even have 30, Stamkos hasnt been in the rocket race for multiple seasons now elite. DeBrincat being able to score more without getting the minutes they all do makes him better than a lot of the players you listed
I mean if you are classifying goal scorer or shooter then you have to be more specific. Goal scorer can be just taking who's scored the most goals per game over the last 2 or 3 years. Shooter is all opinion. Personally I think Matthews, Tank, Ovi, Eichel, Boeser, Pettersson, Kuch, Kane, and Laine all have better shots it doesn't mean they score more though.
Matthews' GPG has gone up each season in the NHL he just keeps missing ~15 games and misses out on 40 goals. Needs 6 in the last 10 games to hit 40 again which is more than doable. Whatever stats he gets this year people will have to consider he played a max of 68 games (hoping he stays healthy). Debrincat is great though and was an obvious steal that I'm pissed the Leafs didn't pick. Was such an obvious pick.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Let’s not get carried away over one season here. Ovi, Kucherov, Kane, Pasta, Stamkos, Matthews, Seguin, Etc to name a few. All these guys have pedigree too
Lol

Seguin has ONE more goal in one more game played than debrincat since debrincat came into the league

Thanks for proving our point for us

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Do you just dive head first into the sand or slowly massage your way in there?
You said to look at the stats right now. Right now, Ovechkin, Draisaitl, Kane, and Tavares have more goals. Atkinson and Point have the same number of goals with one fewer game played. I don't see what you're objecting to.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
You said to look at the stats right now. Right now, Ovechkin, Draisaitl, Kane, and Tavares have more goals. Atkinson and Point have the same number of goals with one fewer game played. I don't see what you're objecting to.

Lol game in hand argument. You went head first there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad