Confirmed Trade: [CHI/ARI] Nick Schmaltz for Brendan Perlini and Dylan Strome

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
This is what happens when you give up on a guy too soon.

He's also playing with better offensive forwards now, but still.
No, this is what happens when you lack player development. Expect Hayton to either fail, or become a 4th liner if he stays.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Just trying to clear the air a bit in here:

1. Strome has 35pts in 36 games so far with the Hawks. That's a ppg of about 80pts per season. 'Passengers' do not put up that type of point totals. He may have benefited with getting some minutes with Kane or DeBrincat, but he certainly isn't a 3rd wheel.

2. I can't say he'll keep it up, nobody here can, because time travel has yet to be perfected. But saying that he is 'at best a 3C' when at his best, which is right now, he's putting up 1C numbers, is a moronic statement and you should feel bad.

3. Arizona may not have won the trade, but Strome wasn't going to reach his potential with the Yotes. And instead, Arizona picked up a good 60pt player who has been used as a PKer and has played center in the past. They didn't just give Strome away for scraps.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not really it seems like they develop the players fine and then their coaching staff in particular doesn't get the best out of them every night. He didn't just develop overnight between the trade into a good/great player.
I agree. This failure is 100% on RT.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Did Strome ever get a chance on the top 2 lines and power play in Arizona? If not this is 100% on Chayka.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
This thread reminds me of the time when everyone said Panarin would be nothing without Kane and Kane would be an 80 point player without Panarin.
Hell, Panarin got better away from Kane. He started to defer to Kane his last year here, and now look at him. The guy is a monster

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We are now into the 4th month of this trade. Opinions are probably changing with the emergence of Strome and Perlini's play. The question looking back on this trade. Did Arizona get enough back? I have to say there must have been teams that were willing to take a chance on Strome and Perlini with a bigger package than just Schmaltz? He is not a bad player. But the risk/reward/return here greatly favours The Hawks. Did the more exp Bowman take the younger Chayka for a spin here?

Reactions: LDF

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
We are now into the 4th month of this trade. Opinions are probably changing with the emergence of Strome and Perlini's play. The question looking back on this trade. Did Arizona get enough back? I have to say there must have been teams that were willing to take a chance on Strome and Perlini with a bigger package than just Schmaltz? He is not a bad player. But the risk/reward/return here greatly favours The Hawks. Did the more exp Bowman take the younger Chayka for a spin here?

Chayka got cheated by his and the organizations own impatience. Being a budget team that has sucked for a long time, they didnt have the willingness to let Strome develop or having growing pains by playing him in a top 6 role. They went out and got guys that were ready to play in the top 6 right now (Stepan/Schmaltz) to try and compete. They basically took a top 3 pick, threw him in a fourth line role and hoped he would just wow them with play and take magic beans to develop into a 70 pt player by getting 10 minutes a night and carrying a line of mutants

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Strome is a third line center on an unsustainable hot streak. Arizona won this trade easily.
For a top 3 pick that put up 1.62 PPG average in juniors and 1 PPG in the AHL.. he's merely meeting expectations and it's very sustainable.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Did the more exp Bowman take the younger Chayka for a spin here?
leo-hawks.gif

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
This thread shouldn't be bumped for another year. Because all these narratives in a half a season are all way too premature.

Lets see if Strome and Perlini can sustain their play.

Lets see what Schmaltz can do when he is actually able to play.

Sound good gents?

Cool.

Reactions: Cogburn and YP44

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Chayka got cheated by his and the organizations own impatience. Being a budget team that has sucked for a long time, they didnt have the willingness to let Strome develop or having growing pains by playing him in a top 6 role. They went out and got guys that were ready to play in the top 6 right now (Stepan/Schmaltz) to try and compete. They basically took a top 3 pick, threw him in a fourth line role and hoped he would just wow them with play and take magic beans to develop into a 70 pt player by getting 10 minutes a night and carrying a line of mutants
I could see a Strome for Schmaltz deal making sense, though if I were Chayka I wouldn't have made that deal 1-1, just because I had more faith Strome would hit his ceiling. But for a future for present trade. It would make sense. But to throw in Perlini also into the mix. I do think if I am a Arizona fan, and from my interactions with the few that post here, they are good fans and posters. It would make me question Chayka and his experience when dealing with Bowman who has 3 cups worth of experience.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The same Bowman who gave up Hinostroza to dump the Hossa contract and then not use the cap savings to do anything? The same guy who gave an absurd contract to Bryan Bickell then gave up Teuvo Teravainen in order to dump the contract? That guy?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The same Bowman who gave up Hinostroza to dump the Hossa contract and then not use the cap savings to do anything? The same guy who gave an absurd contract to Bryan Bickell then gave up Teuvo Teravainen in order to dump the contract? That guy?

I mean Bowman can't diagnose MS with Bickell...

Hinostroza is not really much to give up and that money was already marked for that 5'7" draft pick of Bowmans that has 38 goals on the year but hey he should have spent the money on a FA...

Reactions: ColbyChaos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad