Confirmed Trade: [CHI/ARI] Nick Schmaltz for Brendan Perlini and Dylan Strome

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chayka has unironically set that franchise back further than the day he was hired

He'll never get close to another GM job again
Meh. That’s hyperbole. He spins his wheels. Guy makes trade after trade and moves out core pieces like nothing. He gets nowhere for it.

He handled Doan poorly. It meant nothing, in the long-run. He lost the Domi deal clearly but the team at least he Galchenyuk to show for it. He lost the Strome deal probably, but at least the team has Schmaltz who looked great before injury. The Hayton pick was questionable, but it doesn’t yet look completely terrible.

I’d say he’s failed to move the team forward and even set the team back a bit. He’s been a smug prick about it too and he doesn’t seem any closer to humility or wisdom. I’d fire him because I don’t have faith in his leadership and decision making. I don’t think his moves have really destroyed the franchise or anything. Domi and Strome is a better duo than Galchenyuk and Schmaltz but not at the franchise destruction level.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Chayka is obsessed with intangibles. Were you not paying attention when he drafted Barrett Hayton fifth overall? High level of sports? Chayka made it as high as the BCHL and has his career derailed by injuries. What was the highest level of hockey you played?

Drag Chayka all you want. He deserves it. You’re just choosing all of the wrong reasons. He’s not more of a stats GM than the others. He’s not some unathletic need with no hockey background. He’s also not overrated on this site. Nobody thinks highly of him.

He’s bad at his job because he makes bad choices that turn out badly.
Disagree with this. The bloom may be off of the rose somewhat, but he was incredibly overrated here for like 2 years.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Meh. That’s hyperbole. He spins his wheels. Guy makes trade after trade and moves out core pieces like nothing. He gets nowhere for it.
He inherited a 78 pt team that had some solid young building blocks in place. He made aggressive moves to try and win (#7 & D'Angelo for Stepan/Raanta, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Demers, tried super hard for JvR and that wasn't just to get to the floor it was because he thought they were going to compete for the playoffs) and they still are not even a 78 point team.

I guess that's spinning wheels tbh but I'd say it's going a bit backwards because now OEL is 3-years older and they don't have much to show for these struggles.

Even arguably one of his better moves that people quickly proclaimed he hoodwinked Holland (trade to get the Chychrun pick) I'd say Detroit came out ahead. I'd imagine a fair amount of people would probably take Cholowski over Chychrun straight across, now consider they also got Hronek out of it.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Not a single person in this thread can honestly say they thought Strome would be this good. Chicago's scouts did a great job, lets not attack Chayka for getting what everyone thought was the better player in the deal

rt

May 13, 2004
Domi is 12mo younger than Galchenyuk and is currently 21% more productive per game as a Hab than Galchenyuk has been as a Yote.

Strome is 12mo younger than Schmaltz and is currently 15% more productive per game as a Hawk than Schmaltz has been as a Yote.

These are meaningful downgrades. Substantial mistakes. I disliked both trades at the time. I especially hated the Domi trade. Having said that, these probably aren’t franchise killing deals. I’d be surprised if it ended up looking that way in a few years. They’re probably always going to look like mistakes, though.

Apart from that, Chayka has made a bunch of okayish moves that don’t really register all that much. Hinostroza and Oesterle have been pretty good and were basically free. Chychrun has been good, albeit injured but ultimately ended up costing Cholowski so it’s not exactly the homerun it once looked to be. Same with Crouse, who’s been okay and initially looked like a steal, but Florida ended up with Noel, so it’s not a runaway.

Duclair for Panik looked bad at first. Now it seems inconsequential.

Hjalmarsson for Murphy was a really good trade. I’ll gice Chayka that. Jason Demers is also clearly much better than Jamie McGinn. Starts too slow and cants stay healthy, though. So probably doesn’t matter much.

Stepan and Raanta for #7 and DeAngelo hasn’t really worked out for anyone so far. Might end up one of the most meaningless blockbusters ever.

Even his biggest UFA signings have been sort of vanilla. Alex Goligoski has been okay but isn’t getting younger and the team hasn’t won with him around. Michal Geabner was great but had his eyeball squished. So, no verdict on that one either.

Chayka has been a flurry of activity and predominantly just ineffective.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Not a single person in this thread can honestly say they thought Strome would be this good. Chicago's scouts did a great job, lets not attack Chayka for getting what everyone thought was the better player in the deal

Honestly never thought that.

rt

May 13, 2004
He inherited a 78 pt team that had some solid young building blocks in place. He made aggressive moves to try and win (#7 & D'Angelo for Stepan/Raanta, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Demers, tried super hard for JvR and that wasn't just to get to the floor it was because he thought they were going to compete for the playoffs) and they still are not even a 78 point team.

I guess that's spinning wheels tbh but I'd say it's going a bit backwards because now OEL is 3-years older and they don't have much to show for these struggles.

Even arguably one of his better moves that people quickly proclaimed he hoodwinked Holland (trade to get the Chychrun pick) I'd say Detroit came out ahead. I'd imagine a fair amount of people would probably take Cholowski over Chychrun straight across, now consider they also got Hronek out of it.
I don’t think anyone holding Chychrun would have the stones to move him for Cholowski. Nor do I think anyone holding Cholowski would move him for Chychrun. It’s too early to call it a wash but it’s trending that way. Chychrun has been fantastic when healthy but too often injured.

rt

May 13, 2004
Disagree with this. The bloom may be off of the rose somewhat, but he was incredibly overrated here for like 2 years.
One idiot one time created a thread about him being great. Since then, it’s been a constant dogpile about how bad he is and about how overrated he is because of that one dumb thread.

I loved Chayka for firing Tippett and trading Smith. I wish he’d have quit the next day. That purge had to happen but everything since has been forgettable.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I don’t think anyone holding Chychrun would have the stones to move him for Cholowski. Nor do I think anyone holding Cholowski would move him for Chychrun. It’s too early to call it a wash but it’s trending that way. Chychrun has been fantastic when healthy but too often injured.
I would take Cholowski over Chychrun just based on the fact that Chychrun already has multiple significant knee injuries and has a borderline yikes contract.

Throw in Hronek, and Old Man Holland schooled Chayka on that deal.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I think Chayka should be fired. I’m not a fan.

But he’s not more into analytics than most GMs. Also, calling him unathletic is nuts. The guy follows the strictest of diet and excercise plans. More than anything he’s disciplined. It’s also very stupid that anyone thinks he’s popular on this website. Every time his names comes up the masses pour in to **** on him. He’s easily one of the most widely reviled characters on this site.

He’s made some terrible mistakes and been a pompous ass while making them. He should fired because he’s made poor choices, handled himself poorly, and iced bad teams with poor results. He seems to arrogant to learn and I think it’s getting pretty hopeless in Arizona. They should fire him.

Have another beer. This is nonsensical.

Reactions: cobra427

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Domi is 12mo younger than Galchenyuk and is currently 21% more productive per game as a Hab than Galchenyuk has been as a Yote.

Strome is 12mo younger than Schmaltz and is currently 15% more productive per game as a Hawk than Schmaltz has been as a Yote.

These are meaningful downgrades. Substantial mistakes. I disliked both trades at the time. I especially hated the Domi trade. Having said that, these probably aren’t franchise killing deals. I’d be surprised if it ended up looking that way in a few years. They’re probably always going to look like mistakes, though.

Apart from that, Chayka has made a bunch of okayish moves that don’t really register all that much. Hinostroza and Oesterle have been pretty good and were basically free. Chychrun has been good, albeit injured but ultimately ended up costing Cholowski so it’s not exactly the homerun it once looked to be. Same with Crouse, who’s been okay and initially looked like a steal, but Florida ended up with Noel, so it’s not a runaway.

Hjalmarsson for Murphy was a really good trade. I’ll gice Chayka that. Jason Demers is also clearly much better than Jamie McGinn. Starts too slow and cants stay healthy, though. So probably doesn’t matter much.

Stepan and Raanta for #7 and DeAngelo hasn’t really worked out for anyone so far. Might end up one of the most meaningless blockbusters ever.

Even his biggest UFA signings have been sort of vanilla. Alex Goligoski has been okay but isn’t getting younger and the team hasn’t won with him around. Michal Geabner was great but had his eyeball squished. So, no verdict on that one either.

So you’re gauging a GM’s effectiveness on how much his players have been injured? Seems really idiotic to me. Kind of out of his control don’t you think? Maybe impossible to analyze given the injury situation? But no, just drop a deuce on Chayka...lazy analysis my man.

Reactions: cobra427

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
So you’re gauging a GM’s effectiveness on how much his players have been injured? Seems really idiotic to me. Kind of out of his control don’t you think? Maybe impossible to analyze given the injury situation? But no, just drop a deuce on Chayka...lazy analysis my man.

Alright, so give examples of how Chayka isn't an idiot.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
To be fair, one has been playing between Kane and DeBrincat while the other has been playing with Stepan and Galchenyuk.

There's a bit of a gap in talent there.
Strome's been centering DeBrincat and Kahun for around 12 games now. Before that, he got an extended amount of time with Anisimov (playing LW) and Kane.

He gets little time with both outside of special teams (all three are on the first PP unit).

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Strome's been centering DeBrincat and Kahun for around 12 games now. Before that, he got an extended amount of time with Anisimov (playing LW) and Kane.

He gets little time with both outside of special teams (all three are on the first PP unit).

Still playing with DeBrincat and sometimes Kane is pretty great linemates. This trade looks bad right now but part of that Schmaltz being injured.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
To be fair, one has been playing between Kane and DeBrincat while the other has been playing with Stepan and Galchenyuk.

There's a bit of a gap in talent there.
you really aren't familiar with stromes linemates are you? Strome has been between debrincat and kahun for the better part of the last 15 games

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm actually starting to believe Strome just quit trying in Arizona.
Do you blame him? Put on the fourth line, with fourth line minutes with a bunch of slugs and then was told to go out their and produce. Never given a chance by Rick T.

Reactions: Keystone

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

Chayka is lucky lias has been a bust or else more egg on his face .

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Does play on the power play with Kane which almost always scores

equating a top 6 player to playing with other top 6 players on a power play unit is pretty much commonplace across the league. its hardly like strome is being tethered to Kane where he is carrying stromes production

thats like saying Kucherov is only producing because he plays on a PP unit with stamkos, palat, hedman, and point

you cant fault strome for being on a power play unit and then say thats his only reason for production

Reactions: Jakey53

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Kane is his most common linemate at 5v5 this season.

He's played with Kane close to three times as much as Kahun.

again, watch the games, he hasnt been on a line with kane for some time, and strome has produced a LOT in the last 15 games away from Kane

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->