Chevy's decision making process

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think that Chevy's most important decision is what time horizon he sees for constructing a core that will be a contender.

Here are the ages of what might be considered the Jets current and future "core":

Buff -28
Enstrom - 28
Ladd - 27
Wheeler - 27

Little - 25

Wright - 23
Kane - 22

Scheifele - 20
(Lowry - 20)
Trouba - 19
(Morrissey - 18)
(Petan - 18)
(Comrie - 18)

Does Chevy build around the upper age core, and try to contend within the next 2-3 years? In that case, does he keep Buff and Enstrom and maybe move some some younger prospects for players that put that core over the top? Or, does he try to build more around the younger core, by moving one or two from the upper age group (i.e. Buff, Enstrom or Wheeler) for more young prospects and high picks?

If he builds around the younger core, then he can probably keep a couple or three of the older core guys for experience and leadership (maybe Ladd and Little plus one), but not all of them. In that case, he would be best to move one or two from the older core at the peak of their value. If he waits a couple of years and then decides to retool around a younger core, he might have left a lot of value on the table in trading the older core.

This is why Chevy makes the big bucks... these sorts of decisions about make all the difference in a franchise's ultimate success.

Despite a slow start to the season, you have a glaring omission in not including Bogo in your younger core. I doubt Chevy considers Wright part of the core. Probably the 2 most important pieces are Kane and Bogo as they can bridge with either the older group or the group of younger guys and prospects coming in.

But by default a team that continually preaches draft and develop are not going to sell the farm and try to add to an older group that has yet to demonstrate they are ready to contend.

IMO best case scenario the 18-23 group has a steep developmental curve over the next 3-4 years and the older group are still at or close to their primes and everything meshes together for a year or 2.

Again IMO trading Buff who may have a limited shelf life for a couple younger players that can be added to the younger core just might allow Chevy to put together a true contender a few years down the line.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Despite a slow start to the season, you have a glaring omission in not including Bogo in your younger core. I doubt Chevy considers Wright part of the core. Probably the 2 most important pieces are Kane and Bogo as they can bridge with either the older group or the group of younger guys and prospects coming in.

But by default a team that continually preaches draft and develop are not going to sell the farm and try to add to an older group that has yet to demonstrate they are ready to contend.

IMO best case scenario the 18-23 group has a steep developmental curve over the next 3-4 years and the older group are still at or close to their primes and everything meshes together for a year or 2.

Again IMO trading Buff who may have a limited shelf life for a couple younger players that can be added to the younger core just might allow Chevy to put together a true contender a few years down the line.

Correct. Bogo is part of the younger core... Wright was just me having some fun. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad