Chevy's decision making process

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
How many times does Chevy have to say "It's a process"? There is no way that management feels they need to answer to the media or fans. We all know that we're in a 5-year plan but some refuse to accept it. In my opinion, no trade will happen unless we can bring someone in for a 5th-7th rounder, or if there is someone in the dressing room that is not gelling with the group.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
How many times does Chevy have to say "It's a process"? There is no way that management feels they need to answer to the media or fans. We all know that we're in a 5-year plan but some refuse to accept it. In my opinion, no trade will happen unless we can bring someone in for a 5th-7th rounder, or if there is someone in the dressing room that is not gelling with the group.

I don't know that "no trade will happen". I'd imagine that Chevy would be willing to trade current players.

But, if I understand where he's coming from, he's only going to make trades that add long-term assets, not to make short-term gains.

kasps

Oct 14, 2013
We are in a tough west conference, we are no where close to being as consistent as the top teams in the west. It will come with patience, letting our youngsters mature and then Chevy will make a trade or two, in the future to help the team make a serious push. I think we make the playoffs in two years, my heart says next year:)

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
No one on this forum ever thought the Jets were a stanley cup contender this year. So already, our expectations were lessened.

So we're 5-7-2, 12th in the conference with a more difficult schedule ahead. I believe Chevy has pushed the panic button. More trade scenarios are popping up and insiders think moves are being contemplated. This angers me to no end. In three years, we have the same problems we inherited from the Thrashers - a D that doesn't play D, terrible special teams and inconsistent scoring. We scoured the waiver wire, drafted players who three years ago are now maybe making the club and resigning nearly every thrasher - we've kept the status quo.

So ... if Chevy's decision is to start making trades, the rationale is that Noel is not the problem. It also suggests he is didn't do his homework in addressing the needs of the coach/team in the offseason.

Furthermore, we will know more about Chevy with the players he chooses to trade. If Chevy begins trading away young blue chip players like Burmi, Bogo and our youth movement (under 25; like he did with Oduya; BTW - how is he doing?), the intent is to win now at all costs to save Noel for a little longer and his rear end. If Chevy moves veteran players (Buff, Enstrom, etc), the intent is to continue to build around younger key pieces and not panic.

So ... if Chevy's decision is to can Noel, it MIGHT address the problem of inconsistency. However, Chevy knows it is also his fault for hiring a rookie coach so he will get some blame.

I had mentioned that this last offseason would tell me a lot about Chevy. He's not a gambler, he does not like taking any risk. We had several pieces we could trade at the deadline and he did nothing. We didn't make any splashes at the draft (Frolik and Seto had to leave for salary purposes). No significant upgrades although I think Pardy could easily be our steady #6. No fixes for the terrible D or the inconsistent scoring. Then the kept the status quo by resigning the same players he knows are inconsistent. Then we see Burmi and Telegin walk to the K. Our AHLers realize they may never get promoted b/c we use the waiver wire more than St. Johns. There is no youth movement. This is the status quo with no change in culture in sight.

So ... my prediction is that Chevy will save his own rear and make trades to shake up the team and blame this on the players and their inconsistency rather than argue he was wrong in hiring Noel. I hope I'm wrong.

You are 100% wrong, Chevy has not pushed the panic. Give Evidence to back up reason.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Noel has 2weeks or so to get the team above .500 or he's fired.

Chevy will make a trade if it makes sense. Buff is probably the chip he's wiiling to put in play. Getting Trouba and Redmond playing again might be needed first as far as timing goes.

You could not be more wrong, Noel will not be fired after 2 weeks, he has this full season. TNSE does not make rash decisions.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Noel has 2weeks or so to get the team above .500 or he's fired.

Chevy will make a trade if it makes sense. Buff is probably the chip he's wiiling to put in play. Getting Trouba and Redmond playing again might be needed first as far as timing goes.

Nice job pulling statements out of your ass and making them sound like facts.

If Bogosian doesn't score a hat trick within the next two weeks he is going to be waived.

If Peluso doesn't knock someone out on the ice in the next two weeks he is going to be traded.

If it doesn't snow in the next two weeks it is going to be a Florida like winter.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Nice job pulling statements out of your ass and making them sound like facts.

If Bogosian doesn't score a hat trick within the next two weeks he is going to be waived.

If Peluso doesn't knock someone out on the ice in the next two weeks he is going to be traded.

If it doesn't snow in the next two weeks it is going to be a Florida like winter.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
You could not be more wrong, Noel will not be fired after 2 weeks, he has this full season. TNSE does not make rash decisions.

I very much doubt that Noel has the season. As for Chevy, he is most certainly not pushing any panic buttons and he wont be doing so any time soon. That being said, I wouldn't view a coaching change as panic.

As for the 5 year plan, if we are almost 3 years into this plan, what was the situation supposed to be after 5 years? I don't see any possibility of being a contender in 2015/16 or even a playoff team.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I think the Jets are fine where they are, they're good enough for what they have. They won't make the play-offs but this team is were they belong with the mind set/coaching that is in place. There are better days soon.

I don't want any star players moved or high drafts traded.

Only Bogo for a great return would be nice if Chevy does anything drastic. Sorry but I never drank the Bogo kool-aid, and he might develop into a great D-man on another team; look what happened to Hainsey.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
You are entitled to your opinion.

When you make a statement with nothing supporting it I think it is important to state it as opinion, not fact.

If you said "I think Noel has two weeks to get the team above 0.500 or he will be fired" no one would have thought twice about the post. Like you said, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
Maybe Chevy should get on the phone with City Hall and talk to Thomas Steen. I hear Alex is UFA after this season.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Maybe Chevy should get on the phone with City Hall and talk to Thomas Steen. I hear Alex is UFA after this season.

Pretty sure you're not allowed ANY contact with a player while under contract, even through their father...

Not sure Jets could afford Steen the way he's playing. He looks to be set for a big payday if he keeps it up.

I also wonder to what extent Winnipeg is home for him anymore. In his playing career he's been in Goteborg, Sweden, Toronto and St. Louis for the last 13+ years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that Chevy's most important decision is what time horizon he sees for constructing a core that will be a contender.

Here are the ages of what might be considered the Jets current and future "core":

Buff -28
Enstrom - 28
Ladd - 27
Wheeler - 27

Little - 25

Wright - 23
Kane - 22

Scheifele - 20
(Lowry - 20)
Trouba - 19
(Morrissey - 18)
(Petan - 18)
(Comrie - 18)

Does Chevy build around the upper age core, and try to contend within the next 2-3 years? In that case, does he keep Buff and Enstrom and maybe move some some younger prospects for players that put that core over the top? Or, does he try to build more around the younger core, by moving one or two from the upper age group (i.e. Buff, Enstrom or Wheeler) for more young prospects and high picks?

If he builds around the younger core, then he can probably keep a couple or three of the older core guys for experience and leadership (maybe Ladd and Little plus one), but not all of them. In that case, he would be best to move one or two from the older core at the peak of their value. If he waits a couple of years and then decides to retool around a younger core, he might have left a lot of value on the table in trading the older core.

This is why Chevy makes the big bucks... these sorts of decisions about make all the difference in a franchise's ultimate success.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I think that Chevy's most important decision is what time horizon he sees for constructing a core that will be a contender.

Here are the ages of what might be considered the Jets current and future "core":

Buff -28
Enstrom - 28
Ladd - 27
Wheeler - 27

Little - 25

Wright - 23
Kane - 22

Scheifele - 20
(Lowry - 20)
Trouba - 19
(Morrissey - 18)
(Petan - 18)
(Comrie - 18)

Does Chevy build around the upper age core, and try to contend within the next 2-3 years? In that case, does he keep Buff and Enstrom and maybe move some some younger prospects for players that put that core over the top? Or, does he try to build more around the younger core, by moving one or two from the upper age group (i.e. Buff, Enstrom or Wheeler) for more young prospects and high picks?

If he builds around the younger core, then he can probably keep a couple or three of the older core guys for experience and leadership (maybe Ladd and Little plus one), but not all of them. In that case, he would be best to move one or two from the older core at the peak of their value. If he waits a couple of years and then decides to retool around a younger core, he might have left a lot of value on the table in trading the older core.

This is why Chevy makes the big bucks... these sorts of decisions about make all the difference in a franchise's ultimate success.

Good analysis, but almost everyone you have listed as our 'upper age core' are subject to no trade or no move clauses.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good analysis, but almost everyone you have listed as our 'upper age core' are subject to no trade or no move clauses.

I think Buff and Ladd have limited clauses... not sure about Wheeler and Little. Do you know what the no trade clauses are?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Buff and Ladd have limited clauses... not sure about Wheeler and Little. Do you know what the no trade clauses are?

Buff is allowed to list 5 teams that he won't accept a trade to. The other 24 teams are fair game so his trade clause isn't that much of a hindrance.

I have no idea about the other ones though.

I agree with your rational and think Chevy intends to build around the young core that you mentioned. I would include Little at age 25 as part of that core.

So if the team deals Buff at some point (I think they will). That leaves Ladd, Wheeler and Enstrom as the vets on the team. Since none of there contracts are excessive I'd be completely fine with keeping all three.

I also wouldn't be afraid to shell of some future assets I.e. this years first (provided its not a lottory pick) and an C or B prospect for a quality net minder. Preferably one of Toronto's.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Capgeek has Little with a limited NTC and Wheeler with a modified NTC.

Buff's clause allows him to submit 5 teams he can't be traded to. Not sure about the others.

Enstrom and Bogosian are the only two players with NMC's.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Buff is allowed to list 5 teams that he won't accept a trade to. The other 24 teams are fair game so his trade clause isn't that much of a hindrance.

I have no idea about the other ones though.

I agree with your rational and think Chevy intends to build around the young core that you mentioned. I would include Little at age 25 as part of that core.

So if the team deals Buff at some point (I think they will). That leaves Ladd, Wheeler and Enstrom as the vets on the team. Since none of there contracts are excessive I'd be completely fine with keeping all three.

I also wouldn't be afraid to shell of some future assets I.e. this years first (provided its not a lottory pick) and an C or B prospect for a quality net minder. Preferably one of Toronto's.

If the Jets look to develop around the young core, then I think I'd either move Buff for a good young goalie (hopefully with assets), or I'd wait and see how some of our draft picks develop. I wouldn't want to move high picks and prospects for a goalie like Reimer yet.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I wonder if there is a process to Chevy's process. I also wonder if that process has a process and is THAT process has a prosses.

I wanna like into the process of Chevy's process' process' process.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder if there is a process to Chevy's process. I also wonder if that process has a process and is THAT process has a prosses.

95% Art 5% Science

That being said many many artists have a process :nod:;)

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

Chevy's Wife: Take out the garbage.

Chevy: It's a process.

Chevy's Wife: yeah yeah, it's a goddammned process ...

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I'm really hoping that Chevy builds around the younger core. The gap between the younger core (19-23 yr olds) isn't so great between the "Older" guys (25-29 yr olds) that some of the old older guys won't be around to enjoy the success that comes with patience. And that IS what we need.

I love Buff. I have his jersey. I think he's the most important player on our team. That being said, I think that we can get pieces for him greater whose sum worth are greater than what he gives us on a nightly basis. I think we need to trade him to strengthen the younger core and let that stew.

This year wasn't going to end with a Stanley cup parade in Winnipeg. As much as a playoff series would be awesome, a one-and-out would be a huge let down in the grand scheme.

I would much rather Chevy stay the course with Noel and the young core, and get what he can out of the old core. I would like to see him move a player or two, and I am okay with the team's record suffering for it this year and maybe even next. What I don't want to see is a sudden change in philosophy to have a flash of greatness at the cost of later, longer sustained greatness. I'm very happy with how the drafts have gone, and I think that will continue under Chevy.

And honestly, building up our team from the ground up the way Chevy has makes them more ours than if we had made something out of the train-wreck we inherited from Atlanta.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I've never understood the need to build around a specific age group for a core. To me, that is just asking to have really cyclical results. My perfect 20 man roster would have one player of each age from 20 to 35 with the other 4 players sprinkled evenly across the spectrum.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've never understood the need to build around a specific age group for a core. To me, that is just asking to have really cyclical results. My perfect 20 man roster would have one player of each age from 20 to 35 with the other 4 players sprinkled evenly across the spectrum.

The idea of a young core is you have the nucleus of a team hitting and going through their primes as a group. Not that you don't have some older vets and younger players coming in, but most of your top players are at the top of their career trajectory close to the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad