Chevy's decision making process

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
No one on this forum ever thought the Jets were a stanley cup contender this year. So already, our expectations were lessened.

So we're 5-7-2, 12th in the conference with a more difficult schedule ahead. I believe Chevy has pushed the panic button. More trade scenarios are popping up and insiders think moves are being contemplated. This angers me to no end. In three years, we have the same problems we inherited from the Thrashers - a D that doesn't play D, terrible special teams and inconsistent scoring. We scoured the waiver wire, drafted players who three years ago are now maybe making the club and resigning nearly every thrasher - we've kept the status quo.

So ... if Chevy's decision is to start making trades, the rationale is that Noel is not the problem. It also suggests he is didn't do his homework in addressing the needs of the coach/team in the offseason.

Furthermore, we will know more about Chevy with the players he chooses to trade. If Chevy begins trading away young blue chip players like Burmi, Bogo and our youth movement (under 25; like he did with Oduya; BTW - how is he doing?), the intent is to win now at all costs to save Noel for a little longer and his rear end. If Chevy moves veteran players (Buff, Enstrom, etc), the intent is to continue to build around younger key pieces and not panic.

So ... if Chevy's decision is to can Noel, it MIGHT address the problem of inconsistency. However, Chevy knows it is also his fault for hiring a rookie coach so he will get some blame.

I had mentioned that this last offseason would tell me a lot about Chevy. He's not a gambler, he does not like taking any risk. We had several pieces we could trade at the deadline and he did nothing. We didn't make any splashes at the draft (Frolik and Seto had to leave for salary purposes). No significant upgrades although I think Pardy could easily be our steady #6. No fixes for the terrible D or the inconsistent scoring. Then the kept the status quo by resigning the same players he knows are inconsistent. Then we see Burmi and Telegin walk to the K. Our AHLers realize they may never get promoted b/c we use the waiver wire more than St. Johns. There is no youth movement. This is the status quo with no change in culture in sight.

So ... my prediction is that Chevy will save his own rear and make trades to shake up the team and blame this on the players and their inconsistency rather than argue he was wrong in hiring Noel. I hope I'm wrong.

seasontixholder*

No one on this forum ever thought the Jets were a stanley cup contender this year. So already, our expectations were lessened.

So we're 5-7-2, 12th in the conference with a more difficult schedule ahead. I believe Chevy has pushed the panic button. More trade scenarios are popping up and insiders think moves are being contemplated. This angers me to no end. In three years, we have the same problems we inherited from the Thrashers - a D that doesn't play D, terrible special teams and inconsistent scoring. We scoured the waiver wire, drafted players who three years ago are now maybe making the club and resigning nearly every thrasher - we've kept the status quo.

So ... if Chevy's decision is to start making trades, the rationale is that Noel is not the problem. It also suggests he is didn't do his homework in addressing the needs of the coach/team in the offseason.

Furthermore, we will know more about Chevy with the players he chooses to trade. If Chevy begins trading away young blue chip players like Burmi, Bogo and our youth movement (under 25; like he did with Oduya; BTW - how is he doing?), the intent is to win now at all costs to save Noel for a little longer and his rear end. If Chevy moves veteran players (Buff, Enstrom, etc), the intent is to continue to build around younger key pieces and not panic.

So ... if Chevy's decision is to can Noel, it MIGHT address the problem of inconsistency. However, Chevy knows it is also his fault for hiring a rookie coach so he will get some blame.

I had mentioned that this last offseason would tell me a lot about Chevy. He's not a gambler, he does not like taking any risk. We had several pieces we could trade at the deadline and he did nothing. We didn't make any splashes at the draft (Frolik and Seto had to leave for salary purposes). No significant upgrades although I think Pardy could easily be our steady #6. No fixes for the terrible D or the inconsistent scoring. Then the kept the status quo by resigning the same players he knows are inconsistent. Then we see Burmi and Telegin walk to the K. Our AHLers realize they may never get promoted b/c we use the waiver wire more than St. Johns. There is no youth movement. This is the status quo with no change in culture in sight.

So ... my prediction is that Chevy will save his own rear and make trades to shake up the team and blame this on the players and their inconsistency rather than argue he was wrong in hiring Noel. I hope I'm wrong.

Well first off Noel is not a rookie coach. He had a stint in Columbus. And its no secret that Noel was not Chevy's guy. He did what Chipman wanted for loyalty to Noel. Chevy's choice was Haviland and was the runner up to Noel. Its time to face it, Noel is not an NHL coach. So Chevy is doing his job. Maybe Noel should do his.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I doubt that Chevy will publicly throw players and coaches under the bus like you outlined. It would be counter-productive to the culture he wants to breed, and it would be harder to get people to come here than it otherwise would.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Well first off Noel is not a rookie coach. He had a stint in Columbus. And its no secret that Noel was not Chevy's guy. He did what Chipman wanted for loyalty to Noel. Chevy's choice was Haviland and was the runner up to Noel. Its time to face it, Noel is not an NHL coach. So Chevy is doing his job. Maybe Noel should do his.

So instead of Noel. a guy with some NHL head coaching experiance Chevy wanted to hire a guy with no NHL head coaching experiance in Haviland, and Haviland being such a great NHL head coaching prospect that NO other NHL organization has approached him, makes sense!:shakehead

seasontixholder*

So instead of Noel. a guy with some NHL head coaching experiance Chevy wanted to hire a guy with no NHL head coaching experiance in Haviland, and Haviland being such a great NHL head coaching prospect that NO other NHL organization has approached him, makes sense!:shakehead

Never said he was my pick. That's Chevy's call.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I don't Noel was hired to be the guy to coach to contender status. His experience and succes comes from developing young players to follow a system, something TNSE has said will be the building method. When Chevy feels this team is ready and should be playoff team, a coaching change will happen and there will be an experienced coach brought in.

As for Chevy's decision making, I think he's done pretty good by locking up a decent core. We're just short a consistent top 8 goalie and powerplay. Finding that goalie is probably the hardest thing to do.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Patience my friend. :)

To some, 3-4 more years is unacceptable to make this team on the cusp of being a consistent playoff team. I want it to come sooner too, but I don't think it will. There are no shortcuts that sustain themselves in the NHL. Firing the head coach or making a big trade being the most popular shortcuts. One or both may NEED to happen some day. AFAIC let the season play out the way it's going to play out, make a move or two at the deadline and see where we are at the draft.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Where are you getting any of this? True North's plan has been to build through patience and through the draft. Why on earth would we start trading young players away, when that has been the exact opposite of what they have been saying all along?

what insiders? Who is saying these thing? What moves are being contemplated?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Patience my friend. :)

To some, 3-4 more years is unacceptable to make this team on the cusp of being a consistent playoff team. I want it to come sooner too, but I don't think it will. There are no shortcuts that sustain themselves in the NHL. Firing the head coach or making a big trade being the most popular shortcuts. One or both may NEED to happen some day. AFAIC let the season play out the way it's going to play out, make a move or two at the deadline and see where we are at the draft.

Some of you guys are forgetting this wasn't an expansion team we got in Winnipeg, if any of you think you can build exclusively through the draft your in for a rude awakening. Name one team built exclusivley through the draft, Edmonton has been trying to do this for a few more years than the Jets and look where there at. IMO the Jets core isn't as good as a lot of you think or as Chevy seems to think, big mistake in not moving a couple of guys last season when their stock was higher, I'll let you figure out who.

The whole Kulda saga is a bit puzzling and having another guy play in Russia with some value certainly isn't helping the team. Not getting a bona fida 2 C for three years is Chevy's biggest shortcoming.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
An entire thread damning a GM based off of a personal belief and rumours from "insiders". I don't have a big problem with Chevy's decision making process, and there is no evidence at all that he's pushed the "panic button".

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
Some of you guys are forgetting this wasn't an expansion team we got in Winnipeg, if any of you think you can build exclusively through the draft your in for a rude awakening. Name one team built exclusivley through the draft, Edmonton has been trying to do this for a few more years than the Jets and look where there at. IMO the Jets core isn't as good as a lot of you think or as Chevy seems to think, big mistake in not moving a couple of guys last season when their stock was higher, I'll let you figure out who.

The whole Kulda saga is a bit puzzling and having another guy play in Russia with some value certainly isn't helping the team. Not getting a bona fida 2 C for three years is Chevy's biggest shortcoming.

Byfuglien and Wheeler?

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
An entire thread damning a GM based off of a personal belief and rumours from "insiders". I don't have a big problem with Chevy's decision making process, and there is no evidence at all that he's pushed the "panic button".

Why not? We have hundreds of posts damning Noel for decisions he apparently makes, and problems he apparently has in the dressing room, and problems he apparently has motivating his team. Or that his post game interviews are dull.

People are getting pissy, and want a shiny new toy. Some want that new toy to be the coach, some the GM, and some the players. We may as well have all three perspectives.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Hmm. No.

Well, yes, no one thought we were a Stanley Cup contender. Beyond that, no.

Rumours are not trade scenarios. I like HFBoards a lot, but the trade rumours that pop up here are nothing more than something to chew on. Sure, occasionally some dog finds a bone that turns out to be tasty and the trade comes to fruition, but the accuracy compared to the rumours is what? 1 in 100? Hell, we've been trading Buff to Philly for as long as I've been a member here. Usually for Schenns. Sometimes a Schenn and Simmonds. Has it happened? Nope?

A terrible D that doesn't play D? No, not agreeing there. A D that has routinely suffered injuries and never consistently played with the same group for an extended period perhaps. Bogo with a wrist ailment when he came here, eventually got surgery and took a while to heal but now seems to have an upper body ailment. Byfuglien and Enstrom missing significant time in both seasons prior to this one. Trouba leading with his face, Redmond almost losing his leg, Postma with a blood clot, Clitsome out for a period? They've had time to gel? Not lately thanks. I will say I do hate the system we play where it looks like we're on the PK all the time, but that's not on the players.

Terrible special teams? Ok, yeah, I'll give that to you on the PP but less so on the PK.

Who would you have chosen to let walk of Enstrom, Buff, Wheeler, Little, Bogo? As for the Oduya trade, well, Oduya had a terrible start when he got to Winnipeg though he was coming out of it a bit before he was traded. I don't dislike Oduya but the reality of the matter is that's a team making a player look better moreso than it is we traded away a Stanley Cup calibre defender making it a horrible mistake.

As others said, regardless of what/who Chevy might have wanted, TNSE as overlords seem to have been the factor in the Noel hiring.

As for the offseason, neither you nor I or anyone else actually has a hot clue about what Chevy did or didn't try to do. Same goes for the trade deadline. Didn't make any splashes at the draft? What was supposed to happen? Who were we moving and for what? Speculative, nothing more. Frolik and Seto were moved for salary considerations from their host teams? Are you suggesting they're not upgrades to Wellwood and Mittens? Seriously?

Telegin? That guy with the mystery hand ailment and subsequent concussion who by all appearances is appearing to be a spoiled brat? A player that hardly played at the A level last year but thinks he should be in the NHL so he pulls a hissy fit and somehow that's management's fault? You earn your way into the NHL based on performance and filling a role, not by having potential that you've never met.

Postma. Redmond. Pardy. Cormier. Chiarot. Those are AHL guys. First two stuck for considerable periods and both likely will be back. Last three? Tough call. Maybe I agree with you about Pardy sticking but let's be realistic about what's in front of him. If Postma and Redmond are both healthy, then he's behind Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, Clitsome, Trouba, Postma, Redmond and you can argue Stuart. The point being you don't promote guys out of the AHL just cause some fans like them.

Could we move some people? Sure, absolutely. Should we? Probably. But the reality is what is your return going to be? And if you're moving someone like Wheeler to get that center, who fills Wheeler's role? Does anyone want Wheeler at a price you're willing to part with? Maybe not.

Crazy fun stuff. I know I know jack about managing a hockey team. :)

Last edited:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Chevy is not going to hit the Panic button

Our season 14 games can be divided into 2 7 games sets

First seven....started poorly we played 5 bad games and 2 good and ended up with 3-4 record
5 Bad games...... Edmonton ,Ducks,Wild,Stars and Montreal (1 win and 4 loses)
2 good games L.A. and N.J. (2 wins)

In the 1st 7 games we had no intensity or effort in our 5 bad games

In the next seven games I think we had 6 good games and 1 bad game. The only bad game being the home game against Nashville when we lost 3-1 with no effort.

6 good games and 1 bad game ..........

I think we are improving by giving a more consistent work effort every game and I enjoyed watching 6 of the last 7 games (Nashville at home was a stinker). This is sport ..... you are not always going to get the results you want.

Last 7 games in which I believe the Jets played well in 6 of them their record was 2-3-2 for 6 of a possible 14 pts.

I think Noel has done a good job in the last 7 games getting the Jets prepared to play. Out of the 5 loses ...... 4 were by 1 goal (2 in extra time). I think it was Damm puck luck and 3-4 of those loses could have been wins.

As for Chevy.....I think he is not going to panic...... I think he is doing a good Job.........I think he is not going to fire Noel......(at least until the end of the year).

I also think he will trade Buff........ Not because he is in a panic, but because that was his plan all along.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
We're panicking, that's for sure. (By 'we', I mean the fans) That's being projected on to management...who I don't think really are. Not to say they aren't shopping around and looking at options...they always are. That's their job. Even if the team is winning...entertain options.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

The CYA move for a GM is typically to fire the coach.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Noel has 2weeks or so to get the team above .500 or he's fired.

Chevy will make a trade if it makes sense. Buff is probably the chip he's wiiling to put in play. Getting Trouba and Redmond playing again might be needed first as far as timing goes.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Really, we're facing that already? After 3 seasons in the NHL Alain Vigeaneault had a worse record than Noel does. I guess by that logic he's not an NHL coach either.

seasontixholder*

Really, we're facing that already? After 3 seasons in the NHL Alain Vigeaneault had a worse record than Noel does. I guess by that logic he's not an NHL coach either.

Yes but Noel got to coach in by far the easiest division in the NHL for the last 2 years. Vin was lucky enough to coach in Montreal, which is far superior to the southeast. So your comparison is irrelevant.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
The CYA move for a GM is typically to fire the coach.

Bingo....

Especially after the GM has committed to this core group for the next 5-7 years. He will fire the coach before he blows up the work he has done with the players...

Whether or not it is the right move is subject to opinion. But the coach will almost certainly be changed before we see a blockbuster IMO

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Is it really 100% for sure:

Jets doing bad
So Chevy is looking for trades
So insiders are reporting trade rumours...

or could it possibly be:

Jets doing bad
So insiders are assuming trade brews are happening
Because they are hoping for hits/ratings...

or could it possibly be:

Jets doing bad
So other GMs give a call to see if they can get something from Chevy for good value
So insiders are reporting trade rumours...

Can't 100% tell which one it is or even mix of all three.
Chevy always said he's always open to making the team better as long as it doesn't mortgage the future. He also said that he's willing to trade anyone if the return is right for him unless the terms in their contract deny him the ability to do so.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

The issue isn't whether or not we EVER start sacrificing the future to turn the team into a contender, it's about WHEN. These moves you mention are true 100% as to why this team isn't what it could be. What I see is a wider perspective on things. Hanging onto every asset we have (all the big money extensions) until we have enough cumulative pieces to be a contender but no the RIGHT pieces.

THAT is when you see what you have, an what the best move to make is. The obvious exception to this is a potential Buff trade as he has the potential to be a diminishing asset. He's the one I could see traded at the deadline this year or next for some huge young piece of the puzzle (think Seguin-lite type situation) on a team that can't afford to have a young guy as a liability while they're contending.

Everyone else (Wheeler, Little, Enstrom, Ladd, even Burmistrov) are assets that won't depreciate much over time. Instead of flipping them for pieces that fit now, hold on to them, create a culture of constant improvement (another reason Buff will be traded sometime) and make the moves we need to make when Scheifele, Trouba, Morrisey, insert new goalie, 2014 draft pick, 2015 draft pick, etc are good enough in combination with our current second rate guys to be a playoff team. At that time we'll hopefully be a team that doesn't quite have the right mix. As I alluded to, THEN you go after the big UFA and trade next year's first to try and put this team over the top with 4 lines that can match up with any other in the league and a defense that is reliable and a goalie that saves our ass when we need him most.

That's what Chevy is thinking (IMO of course :)) and not "How can I make the playoffs this/next year?"

Agree or disagree with this philosophy at will but this is I think what is happening and what I base my dreams of what "could be"
one day.

GO JETS GO baby!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad