Confirmed with Link: Chevy signs 3 year extension

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
And, according to Murat, The Chipman Factor is real:

Meanwhile, Mark Chipman has been described to me as “extremely hands-on” and “very close to the team,” which makes a person wonder if a little more clarity of roles would be a better decision.
I've wondered how that ties in to the Maurice situation. It's curious that he never scratched any regulars....... wouldn't that be something to try before resigning? Or even bring in an assistant? One of your own peeps?

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Just watched the Chevy interview. What's up with him not firing anyone? He made it clear that all the coaches contracts are just expiring, and the Maurice decided to resign but wasn't fired. I get the Jets don't want to be one of those teams that fires all their coaches and management every couple years, but I think maybe they've gone too far the other way. There needs to be some expectations for their coaches and management. If the owners / GM are ok with mediocrity then it's no wonder players want to leave, and look unmotivated out there.

Reactions: BrokerD

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Just watched the Chevy interview. What's up with him not firing anyone? He made it clear that all the coaches contracts are just expiring, and the Maurice decided to resign but wasn't fired. I get the Jets don't want to be one of those teams that fires all their coaches and management every couple years, but I think maybe they've gone too far the other way. There needs to be some expectations for their coaches and management. If the owners / GM are ok with mediocrity then it's no wonder players want to leave, and look unmotivated out there.
maurice should have been fired awhile ago, but what would even be the point of firing the rest when they expire in july anyways... I think there were expectations and the fact that they arn't being renewed should show that

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Well I just don't see the coaching comments as that big of deal and think that is likely more on Chipman then Chevy.

He took responsibility at the beginning as the architect of the team.

He explained that they are still talking to players and formulating their plan so hard to say what direction they are going in. Talked about maybe needing to add different types of players.

The optimist would think that maybe they are ready to move to a more modern system and deployment.

Anyhow proof will be in the moves they make.
I am actaully a bit optimistic in some of the things Chevy said. It would be nice if he would have had a media avilablity after all of the exit interviews but it does not look like he will be available to the media again.

Reactions: rkp and DRW204

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Well I just don't see the coaching comments as that big of deal and think that is likely more on Chipman then Chevy.

He took responsibility at the beginning as the architect of the team.

He explained that they are still talking to players and formulating their plan so hard to say what direction they are going in. Talked about maybe needing to add different types of players.

The optimist would think that maybe they are ready to move to a more modern system and deployment.

Anyhow proof will be in the moves they make.
Re: the bolded - exactly.

It does not concern me how much accountability Chevy took today. It also doesn't bother me whether or not he announced he was going in a different direction without our current coaches. I don't really care what is said. I care about the actions.

So we'll see what happens, I guess.

Reactions: buggs and surixon

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Reactions: rkp and Mbraunm

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
TNSE should have fired him, Pomo just did what they would not do.
Mind you Maurice helped enable this bunch and so did the organization.
Fans saw the dysfunction from afar and when it was commented on some people got all defensive on behalf of the organization.
This organization brought it on themselves by being indecisive
I assert that Paul Maurice was fired and he didn’t resign. For his silence, he was given a golden handshake.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I mean they can't say they fired them if all they did was elect not to renew them.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
They aren't coming back and I don't care how Chevy worded it. They don't deserve to come back. With the talent on this team , we should have a top 5 PP...bye Kompon. Our PK sucks shit and Lowry still played M2M in our zone...bye Dave and Charlie.

I can't see Stastny coming back so I'd give the C to Lowry if they are taking it off of Wheeler.

JMo and PLD with the A.

Chevy mentioned that some of the people they wanted to talk to might be assistants with their team in the playoffs so they'd have to wait until after the playoffs to talk with them. They'll probably announce the coach a couple of weeks into July.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I mean they can't say they fired them if all they did was elect not to renew them.
He should've fired them before their contracts run out haha
Post automatically merged:

They aren't coming back and I don't care how Chevy worded it. They don't deserve to come back. With the talent on this team , we should have a top 5 PP...bye Kompon. Our PK sucks shit and Lowry still played M2M in our zone...bye Dave and Charlie.

I can't see Stastny coming back so I'd give the C to Lowry if they are taking it off of Wheeler.

JMo and PLD with the A.

Chevy mentioned that some of the people they wanted to talk to might be assistants with their team in the playoffs so they'd have to wait until after the playoffs to talk with them. They'll probably announce the coach a couple of weeks into July.
That would be cool to see them go for an up-and-coming sort of assistant, as opposed to hiring an old veteran coach who's been fired a few times already.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
And that’s completely fair, if somewhat semantical. The issue I had with it was the done enough to interview for his job again. Just cut the cord already and make a clean break. Completely silly, can’t recall any other scenario similar.

Reactions: None

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And that’s completely fair, if somewhat semantical. The issue I had with it was the done enough to interview for his job again. Just cut the cord already and make a clean break. Completely silly, can’t recall any other scenario similar.

I can see where you are coming from. Not sure why he worded it as he did but I won't lose much sleep over it. The assistants are out of contract and free to pursue other opportunities which I am sure most will.

Anyhow its now time for Chevy to get to work on figuring out what his group is going forward, what he needs to add/subtract. and what coach he needs to bring in.

It is pretty much his most important offseason here so he better get it right.

None

Feb 22, 2012

All of the Illegal Curve people seemed to agree from what I heard during their season postmortem podcast. Sean Reynolds, Ken Wiebe, Jeff Hamilton, and Scott Billeck were all definitely in agreement that it's a strange scenario on the Kenny & Renny podcast. Unsure if Hustler/Andrew Paterson commented on it on his podcast.

I think both of our posts were made before any of those were streamed live. I'm honestly surprised at how much pushback there is to something so mundane from here.

Reactions: Ducky10

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
the post said "one of the best general managers in the league." if you are one of the best you'd have more than 1 good showing in 11 seasons.

Literally half the GMs in the league, through nothing more than random chance alone, could be expected to have no cup finals in 11 years. And given that we got to a semi final round where we were a favorite to advance to the finals, and ran into a washed-up barely-league-average goalie having one of those mini-miracles that goalies have? I defend my post statistically. Chevy is above average, playoff variance be damned, which you can tell by his track record in trades -- a heavy winner in blockbusters, and never making a dumb trade "to shake things up"

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017

JMo and PLD with the A.

Chevy just dismissed the entire motley coaching staff including interim HC Dave Lowry and you forsee his son Adam Lowry bring named C?!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Literally half the GMs in the league, through nothing more than random chance alone, could be expected to have no cup finals in 11 years. And given that we got to a semi final round where we were a favorite to advance to the finals, and ran into a washed-up barely-league-average goalie having one of those mini-miracles that goalies have? I defend my post statistically. Chevy is above average, playoff variance be damned, which you can tell by his track record in trades -- a heavy winner in blockbusters, and never making a dumb trade "to shake things up"
Poster said best manager in the league to me that's top 5.. If you're putting that label on him you'd have more than good PO run.
We won 1 game in the WCF. U need 16 wins for the cup so 9/16 is 56% which is slightly above average so not close at all. We won all these trades heavily supposedly yet our team is the worst it's been in years, and was couples wins better than the 11-12 Atlanta Jets. Then consider his coaching choices, or how his drafting has been closer to average. Imo he's an average gm not one of the best in the league.

Last edited:

MrvJets

Apr 23, 2018
Done with this shit team and soft, heartless players. Great move, sign Chevy to 3 years while he has done absolutely nothing in this city.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Public consensus be like...
lastchance.gif

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I assert that Paul Maurice was fired and he didn’t resign. For his silence, he was given a golden handshake.

So you think Maurice was fired, and the plan was to play out the rest of the season with Lowry as interim? If that's the case, then Chevy shouldn't be GM next year if you ask me. It looks pretty obvious to me that the org wasn't prepared for Maurice to resign.

Also, from an optics perspective, why in the hell would the organization prefer to let Maurice resign (something that basically is unheard of) to firing him? Why would they want to add ANOTHER instance of somebody wanting to get away from Winnipeg to the pile?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack7222 and DRW204

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I for one am glad they have waited. Last time they fell in love with at best a medicore coach because they went on a little run. There were far better candidates available that summer. Wasted 7 years IMHO.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Given the way things played out this year, and the fact that Chevy was given an extension...it looks to me like Chipman must be the issue. Can he be fired? lol...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Mike Mcintyre nails it in his article in the Free Press today!

basically calls the Jets a rudderless organization even too scared to properly fire Lowry and the coaching staff!

Chimp-man and so-called team ownership no where to be seen for a few years

internal rot within the organization……no vision

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad