Confirmed with Link: Chevy signs 3 year extension

None

Feb 22, 2012
Jets have to determine Mark Scheifele's future ahead of critical off-season

Ken Wiebe said:
Although there has yet to be a formal announcement, Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff has been given a three-year contract extension to continue to run the hockey team.

Because the automatic URL embed wants to rip the video rather than the article itself :dunno:

Edit: As I said in the other thread: I'm not sure what he's done to deserve that much security. How is he not feeling any heat for the situation this team is in?
Accountability starts at the top.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
This teams messaging to its fans is curious to say the least. Come off one of, if not the most underwhelming, disappointing seasons since the team returned, and immediately upon seasons end (in which you missed the playoffs), you reward the GM of the team a 3 year extension.
These guys make political patronage look tame.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Well, in some ways that shocks me, in others, not so much with True North's slow and steady "no need to make rash decisions" approach.

I know Chipman wanted to model the team after Nashville with long-tenured terms for Poile and their former head coach, but the fact is the Jets have not come close to matching the Preds record.

Since 2011-12:

Preds

Total pts. - 6th overall out of 30 teams - 983 pts.
Pts percentage - 7th overall out of 31 teams - .593%

Jets

Total pts. - 16th overall out of 30 teams - 928 pts.
Pts percentage - 18th overall out of 31 teams - .558%

I really don't see the justification for a 3-year contract extension. The team has made the playoffs in 4 of 11 seasons. I don't count 2019-20 as making the playoffs - they were out of the playoffs when play came to a halt with the majority of their remaining games on the road...and they lost during the play-ins...you know to actually qualify for the real playoffs.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No idea what to make of that term. A 3 year extension takes him to 2026, I believe?

If he was at the end of his contract or one year left only I get & understand the extension. Can’t have a lame duck GM at this critical stage so extend him. Now I understand some think he should be fired, but I’m not at that spot yet personally. Chipman & Chevy are very similar minded, patient, thoughtful and no knee jerk reactions. That being said if the Jets flop next year then in the camp of fire Chevy.

Biggest steps for Chevy this summer are:

- Sign PLD long term or trade him
- Get Mark on board or trade him
- Hire a entire new coaching staff, at least HC & 1-2 asst coaches.

Biggest summer in 2.0 history IMO.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Not long ago most here were praising Chevy and thought the team he assembled this offseason was a legit contender.

I don't mind that he wasn't outright fired, as I said in the other Chevy thread, and I've mostly liked his personnel decisions but at the end of the day it's all about the results. I'll continue to maintain that I think Maurice needed to be fired after (or even during) 18-19 and that's a huge part of the reason why I think Chevy needs to be held to a much higher standard going forward.

The guy can't hold his coaches accountable and his coaches can't hold his players accountable. I guess we're expecting Chevy to hold himself accountable at some point and fire himself?

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
If he was at the end of his contract or one year left only I get & understand the extension. Can’t have a lame duck GM at this critical stage so extend him. Now I understand some think he should be fired, but I’m not at that spot yet personally. Chipman & Chevy are very similar minded, patient, thoughtful and no knee jerk reactions. That being said if the Jets flop next year then in the camp of fire Chevy.

Biggest steps for Chevy this summer are:

- Sign PLD long term or trade him
- Get Mark on board or trade him
- Hire a entire new coaching staff, at least HC & 1-2 asst coaches.

Biggest summer in 2.0 history IMO.
Do you actually believe True North would fire Chevy if the jets fail to make the playoffs next season, with 3 years left on his contract? I sure don't. He likely gets 2.5 years minimum...
Post automatically merged:

Why give Chevy a 3-year extension to avoid a lame-duck season? I'm sure a 1 or 2-year extension would do the job.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Do you actually believe True North would fire Chevy if the jets fail to make the playoffs next season, with 3 years left on his contract? I sure don't. He likely gets 2.5 years minimum...

I didn’t comment on if TN would fire him or not next year. I said if the Jets flop next year then that’s it I’m done with Chevy.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I do not like this move. Terrible optics. Could be the start of a bad/poor news summer. What is next extend Lowry remove interim tag? WtH.

old boys club holds strong. Lame very lame.
Post automatically merged:

I didn’t comment on if TN would fire him or not next year. I said if the Jets flop next year then that’s it I’m done with Chevy.
This was me last year.

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jets have to determine Mark Scheifele's future ahead of critical off-season

Because the automatic URL embed wants to rip the video rather than the article itself :dunno:

Edit: As I said in the other thread: I'm not sure what he's done to deserve that much security. How is he not feeling any heat for the situation this team is in?
Accountability starts at the top.

You have to wonder if his contract was up and they had to sign him or let him walk and Chipman wasn't quite ready to go in a new direction yet.

I mean three years isn't exactly a massive vote of confidence and if they don't get this thing sorted out next year you can likely move on with only two years remaining.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
picard-double.gif

None

Feb 22, 2012
You have to wonder if his contract was up and they had to sign him or let him walk and Chipman wasn't quite ready to go in a new direction yet.

I mean three years isn't exactly a massive vote of confidence and if they don't get this thing sorted out next year you can likely move on with only two years remaining.

I think his last contract was 4 years so at least it's progress I think... Maybe?

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Well, in some ways that shocks me, in others, not so much with True North's slow and steady "no need to make rash decisions" approach.

I know Chipman wanted to model the team after Nashville with long-tenured terms for Poile and their former head coach, but the fact is the Jets have not come close to matching the Preds record.

It seems pretty weird to me to have in mind a "model" for term. Like... doesn't it depend completely on the personnel and the situation and everything?

Edit: anyways I don't mind having another year for Chevy assuming the rest of the changes are significant.

Reactions: rkp and hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad