Confirmed with Link: Chevy signs 3 year extension

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
This offseason will be telling. Chipman says he's not expecting any seismic changes. We know there has to be change. I'm grudgingly okay with this extension, but this offseason is going to be very critical for my further engagement with the franchise.
It’s time to rip off that C on $8.25 M 17 goal Blake Wheeler’s jersey and sew it on Mark Scheifele’s chest.
Post automatically merged:

I think just the opposite. As much as I crap on Chevy, I think he's done reasonably well in trade and player contract negotiations. I don't think he's done well in evaluating players as per their skill level (especially on D) and how they will fit with this team's needs. The Jets need someone in the higher up position with a better vision for building the team.
Charlie Huddy needs to be fired! Don’t hire Dave Lowry as the permanent head coach. It’s time to give Alain Vigneault his chance to guide this team.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Well, in some ways that shocks me, in others, not so much with True North's slow and steady "no need to make rash decisions" approach.

I know Chipman wanted to model the team after Nashville with long-tenured terms for Poile and their former head coach, but the fact is the Jets have not come close to matching the Preds record.

Since 2011-12:

Preds

Total pts. - 6th overall out of 30 teams - 983 pts.
Pts percentage - 7th overall out of 31 teams - .593%

Jets

Total pts. - 16th overall out of 30 teams - 928 pts.
Pts percentage - 18th overall out of 31 teams - .558%

I really don't see the justification for a 3-year contract extension. The team has made the playoffs in 4 of 11 seasons. I don't count 2019-20 as making the playoffs - they were out of the playoffs when play came to a halt with the majority of their remaining games on the road...and they lost during the play-ins...you know to actually qualify for the real playoffs.
If Mark Chapman rewards his car dealership salespeople for mediocre performance like Chevy has, I wonder how his Birchwood brand has survived so far.

I suspect we see some shuffling and changing of responsibilities.
Shuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic Jets iceanliner.

Is there a business that would run like this? I don't think they would be in business very long . This is Chevy's roster and Chevy was the one who also just moved our assistant coach to head coach instead of hiring a new coach when he had lots of time to do so because of all the covid breaks. Chevy had 11 years to get it done and now has 3 more? Not happy about this, at the most he should have gotten 1 year .
Chevy should have been fired today!

Reactions: rkp

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am nor sure why people were expecting Chevy to call out the room or players today. When has the org ever done that. They didn't when Trouba held our for a trade, they didn't when Buff or Maurice quit. Why does anyone think they would now.

We all saw just how dejected Chipman looked just a few days ago. He's not happy and pissed off about this year. You damn well better believe that there is pressure on Chevy to get this right and get this right quickly.

Last edited:

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
But he did not and it was an awful season. Looks like players will be held accountable. Next up Huddy and Lowry sign as co-head coaches for 3 years.
I never understand why Edmonton Oilers Stanley Cup champion member Charlie Huddy remained a Jets (no Stanley Cup) assistant coach for so long.

I am nor sure why people were expecting Chevy to call out the room or players today. When has the org ever done that. They didn't whe Trouba held our for a trade, they didn't when Buff or Maurice quite. Why does anyone think they would now.
quit not quite

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
chevy is kinda responsible for letting it get to this point.....and cant help feeling after listening to some parts of the chevy presser, when asked about pld and the dance chevy did as a response, wonder if pld is having second thoughts about signing long term

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Chevy's trades have been second to none and his drafting has been elite. He's gotten players that normally would never sign here through said trades and on paper built a solid team year after year. I really thought this season was going to be amazing. Chevy doesnt play the games or coach the players. Should Maurice have been let go earlier? Probably and god knows Huddy should have been sent packing long ago. But what Chevy has done with the smallest market team with arguably the shittiest weather is pretty amazing.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
How many owners announce extending their GM on the day the team closes out their lockers because they aren't good enough to make the playoffs? :help::amazed::loony:

Chipman might have just hung the existence of this franchise on Chevy's shoulders.

3 more seasons like the one we just went thru, with TNSE trying to ask for the ticket prices increases each season that we all know will be coming... I just don't know....
Mark Chipman knows Jets fans are deathly afraid of losing their team a second so yes. season tickets prices are an eventuality just like pot holes on the streets!

Reactions: johnnyonthspot

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
chevy is kinda responsible for letting it get to this point.....and cant help feeling after listening to some parts of the chevy presser, when asked about pld and the dance chevy did as a response, wonder if pld is having second thoughts about signing long term
I think what would matter to pld is what is said to him in private and not what he tells the media

Reactions: surixon

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
How many owners announce extending their GM on the day the team closes out their lockers because they aren't good enough to make the playoffs? :help::amazed::loony:

Chipman might have just hung the existence of this franchise on Chevy's shoulders.

3 more seasons like the one we just went thru, with TNSE trying to ask for the ticket prices increases each season that we all know will be coming... I just don't know....
And how many other teams have told there coaches your not fired but you have to reapply for a position

None

Feb 22, 2012
I am nor sure why people were expecting Chevy to call out the room or players today. When has the org ever done that. They didn't whe Trouba held our for a trade, they didn't when Buff or Maurice quite. Why does anyone think they would now.

I'm not sure anyone has asked for him to call anyone out?

Kind of feels like this entire topic is spiraling into pulling apart other posts rather than actually commenting on the extension and his comments today.

All I wanted was more accountability in his conference. Come out and say that they're going in a different direction from the coaching staff, don't even leave that door open. He doesn't need to go on a tirade and have a tantrum about the players or coaches to say "we're moving in a different direction." When Murat and Sara asked him about the player's comments at least acknowledge that there's some inflammatory shit being said.

How is this getting spun into hyperbolic territory like people were expecting Chevy to get to the podium and start throwing shit? Nobody was calling for that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not sure anyone has asked for him to call anyone out?

Kind of feels like this entire topic is spiraling into pulling apart other posts rather than actually commenting on the extension and his comments today.

All I wanted was more accountability in his conference. Come out and say that they're going in a different direction from the coaching staff, don't even leave that door open. He doesn't need to go on a tirade and have a tantrum about the players or coaches to say "we're moving in a different direction." When Murat and Sara asked him about the player's comments at least acknowledge that there's some inflammatory shit being said.

How is this getting spun into hyperbolic territory like people were expecting Chevy to get to the podium and start throwing shit? Nobody was calling for that.

Well I just don't see the coaching comments as that big of deal and think that is likely more on Chipman then Chevy.

He took responsibility at the beginning as the architect of the team.

He explained that they are still talking to players and formulating their plan so hard to say what direction they are going in. Talked about maybe needing to add different types of players.

The optimist would think that maybe they are ready to move to a more modern system and deployment.

Anyhow proof will be in the moves they make.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
No Stanley Cup Final appearance ever since 2011 = deserved a 3-year contract extension.
It's about getting hard contracts to an undesirable market. Most players will want north of $10M or are desperate for an NHL gig if we had a mediocre GM and finish last place all the time. We'd pretty much be the Oilers, who in my honest opinion aren't even remotely close to stable yet.

The fact we're this good is an amazing accomplishment.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It's about getting hard contracts to an undesirable market. Most players will want north of $10M or are desperate for an NHL gig if we had a mediocre GM and finish last place all the time. We'd pretty much be the Oilers, who in my honest opinion aren't even remotely close to stable yet.

The fact we're this good is an amazing accomplishment.

I take your point that Chevy has done a good job for the most part and that FAs who will sign for the Jets aren't as plentiful as they might be for some teams. But I think that the undesirability of the market is overstated for the most part. There are 31 HC jobs in the league. There are fewer than 200 top 6 jobs in the league. A team that is perceived as winner is more able to attract strong talent, market notwithstanding. A team that is perceived as static, hierarchical, slow to react to changes and reactionary in their playstyle -- as well as being hard to crack for younger players and a longshot from a Cup contention standpoint -- is a very unattractive proposition.

Play great hockey, run a top organization, win consistently, and the players will come and they will also (as we'e seen) stay.

If you really truly can't field a winning team because Winnipeg, then you shouldn't try to run a team in Winnipeg. It's a lost cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: pucka lucka

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've said for years that the undesirability of the market is overstated. There are 31 HC jobs in the league. There are fewer than 200 top 6 jobs in the league. A team that is perceived as winner is more able to attract strong talent, market notwithstanding. A team that is perceived as static, hierarchical, slow to react to changes and reactionary in their playstyle -- as well as being hard to crack for younger players and a longshot from a Cup contention standpoint -- is a very unattractive proposition.

Play great hockey, run a top organization, win consistently, and the players will come and they will also (as we'e seen) stay.

If you really truly can't field a winning team because Winnipeg, then you shouldn't try to run a team in Winnipeg. It's a lost cause.

I don't disagree but if anything I think it is this year that things really got off rails. Even last year the NHL player agents were still very favorable on how we treated players and our development process for young players.

I think that we can get this back on track quickly here.

Reactions: blues10

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Not long ago most here were praising Chevy and thought the team he assembled this offseason was a legit contender.

It was. Chevy has put in an above average job. He doesn't get to select the coaches, he doesn't get to pick the starting lineups. He's the last guy that needs the axe.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
If not him then who picks the coaches?

Huh. You know, that's a good question. I always assumed that the front office people were all selected by the owners. No reason why the GM couldn't pick the coaches, I suppose.

No Stanley Cup Final appearance ever since 2011 = deserved a 3-year contract extension.

About 50-50 to go 11 years without making a cup final appearance. Far too fine a point to be a useful metric on its own.

Reactions: surixon

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I never understand why Edmonton Oilers Stanley Cup champion member Charlie Huddy remained a Jets (no Stanley Cup) assistant coach for so long.
6eolot.jpg

Reactions: Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Huh. You know, that's a good question. I always assumed that the front office people were all selected by the owners. No reason why the GM couldn't pick the coaches, I suppose.

About 50-50 to go 11 years without making a cup final appearance. Far too fine a point to be a useful metric on its own.
the post said "one of the best general managers in the league." if you are one of the best you'd have more than 1 good showing in 11 seasons.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I’m not. That’s why I didn’t renew.

I wish they’d answer truthfully as I truly feel that if Chevy wasn’t going to fire PoMo. I really want to know what he believes he was seeing. Because it wasn’t what any of us were. I also think he should publicly shit on the team he built. Call the players out. Someone has too cause we all know the coach wasn’t. That being said I’m sure the exit interviews should be done really pleasant exchanges.
if you take chevy at his word: he said he didn't ever think about replacing PoMo.

so he never fired maurice, never fired these coaches.... if they still were under contract they'd likely still be here, unless they quit similarly to maurice.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
It’s time to rip off that C on $8.25 M 17 goal Blake Wheeler’s jersey and sew it on Mark Scheifele’s chest.

You're going to give the C to someone with an A on his chest who already isn't a team player and takes no accountability? Giving Mark the C is not the answer and won't solve anything.

Reactions: Jets 31

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
PoMo not being fired still pisses me off. The ultimate grifter.
TNSE should have fired him, Pomo just did what they would not do.
Mind you Maurice helped enable this bunch and so did the organization.
Fans saw the dysfunction from afar and when it was commented on some people got all defensive on behalf of the organization.
This organization brought it on themselves by being indecisive

Reactions: Jets 31 and rkp

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I’m okay with keeping Chevy on for GM
He built the team and I think the only thing I wish he done sooner change coaching staff. If the rumors are true, he’s going make whole sale coaching changes I think that’s the right direction
I reserve any judgment until next year.I think there should be be new GM in charge for the next generation of Jets if he makes three years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad