Celebrity Death: Chester Bennington

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
such a shame. I have a few LP songs on my workout playlist but today i went all LP in honor.

Loved LP in high school. me and my friends would sit around boozing and watching the live in texas dvd.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I was looking at the year of Hybrid Theory and that album came out in 2006? I could have sworn they were a band when I was in High School, but 2006 was when I was transferring from a community college to a 4 year. Kind of makes me feel old realizing that. Still listened to them quite a bit though, and yeah My December the year it came out was one of my favorite Christmas Songs, if you can call it that.

Ok, it came out in 2000. Itunes is wrong for some reason.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2010
God damn. I was so shocked when a coworker told me about this today. I literally stopped working.

Hybrid Theory and Meteora got me through high school (early 2000s).

Also saw LP live 4 times (03, 04, 08, 12).

RIP Chester.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
RIP Chester.
Chester was a huge influence on me in my youth when I used to do vocals in metal bands. Such an incredibly talented vocalist. My favourite Park song is Given Up and I think it really highlights the state of mind he often found himself in. Plus the octave change in the last super long scream of Misery, mid scream, still gives me chills. The stigma around mental health issues really needs to stop. Get and give help people, regardless of if someone asks for it or you think they need it.

Sorry if the subject matter of the song offends anyone but I think it's very pertinent to the subject of mental health. This song is one gigantic cry for help.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Feels like a punch to the gut. It really feels like losing a family member. Hybrid Theory/Meteora are the best albums ever. To me nothing comes close.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
this is very shocking and on Chris Cornell's birthday no less.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Oh man. This one hurts. I've listened to Hybrid Theory, Reanimation and Meteora for so long when I was a teenager. The Reanimation version of Crawling was amazing.

RIP Chester.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Back in 2000 I used to do a run once a week from JFK to Hanover PA and back. It was long boring trip in an uncomfortable truck. It was before Sattelite radio. I would scan the stations listening to anything that was halfway decent. One day in late March early April I tuned in the local rock station and they had the band in studio interviewing them and played a bunch of tracks from Hybrid Theory. I was blown away with what I heard. I got to see them at Jones Beach in June of 2001 as they were really blowing up. They were awesome live. I would have liked to see them again. Many people, myself incuded beat up on them the past few years because the music wasn't the same but man I would have loved to see them perform the first two or three albums back to back to back in one show.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
"I know you guys are all sad about the singer dying so here's all the reasons why I dislike them even though nobody asked.

Also this seems like a publicity stunt."

smh.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I wasn't a big Linkin Park fan. There were a few songs that I liked, but I wouldn't count down the days to the their next album.

That said, there was a song that came out on a Z-trip compilation about 10+ years ago. I listened to it today, and it seems that much more darker.

Suppose you were to die tonight
what would you say?

{sample}
Do you believe in life after death?
{/sample}

In the chill of the night
I can feel my heart racing
As I run towards the light
that seems so far away
Wondering forever
In the darkest of shadows
Wondering if I will ever see you again

Last edited:

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I heard about this while I was at work. It was a rather difficult rest of the day.

Chester and Linkin Park were a huge part of my life growing up. The world lost a very talented human being today. Losing Cornell did a major toll to an already damaged Chester. To say that this was a publicity stunt by Chester sounds ridiculous.

RIP

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
You really know nothing about the struggles of mental health if you think he did this for publicity :shakehead:shakehead

He was in that bad of a place that he thought ending it was the only way forward.....his band releasing a new song would be the last thing on his mind!!

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Very sad to hear of Chester Bennington's passing. Been a fan of his and Linkin Park's since 2001 and have enjoyed their albums ever since. Once they did the Reanimation album and the mashup with Jay-Z, I liked their work even more as they did something different, and in a way, it still felt new. Bennington had unique power and energy in his voice and I'll miss it. The same can be said for his creative and meaningful lyrics. RIP Chester.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Losing Cornell did a major toll to an already damaged Chester. To say that this was a publicity stunt by Chester sounds ridiculous.

RIP

I suppose I went too far by even suggesting it. But to each their own.

Seeing as I just learned this man has SIX kids...but might have pushed over the edge by Cornell hanging himself?

giphy.gif

I'm checking out of this one..

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This is the first semi-major loss I've experienced (only 17 and no one close to me has died/anyone I know that I can remember, never even been to a funeral) so it did hit a bit hard because I used to love LP a few years back in 7th/8th/9th grade and I loved Chester's voice. Although LP fell off a lot lately I still respect this guy so much, he helped me get through a lot with his(LP's) music. Rest in Peace. :cry::cry::cry:

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I stopped listening to the radio by this time and co-worker got tickets to a show. This was during their debut LP, so it was either 2000 or 2001. I wound up going and wasn't exactly impressed. It really came across as generic and the lead singer(Bennington) was nails on a chalkboard.

Of course, I completely abandoned this style of music after Limp Bizkit butchered it beyond recognition.mon...

Not listening to radio was obviously a smart move back then, but you still sadly couldn't avoid hearing that linkinbizkit crap altogether. I have vivid memories of sitting in a car where a Linkin Park record was playing and it was awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad