Celebrity Death: Chester Bennington

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I still remember the first time that I heard "In The End", I was hooked. It was such a different sound at the time than all of the other crap on the radio after a strong decade of rock in the 90's. I have Linkin' Park's first 2 CD's and as far as I'm concerned Chester could ****ing wail. LP isn't the only band to have started strong and then tapered off, if he was as troubled as it appears that he was, I'd imagine that it'd be hard to continue pouring your soul into things when everything was going to ****. I can't imagine why someone with so much going for them and having a family of their own would feel the need to end it all and I pray that I never do. RIP Chester and my condolences to the Bennington family.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Never really dug LP but it was still a huge part of growing up. I have seen them several times on festivals in the past. Apparently his suicide is a result of longterm depression. Sad. RIP!

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Their sound is obviously going to change when they grow up. He was 41. It's been like 15 years since those albums. I enjoy a bit off each of their albums - even when they slow it down. I personally love Leave Out All The Rest. The lyrics are sketchy as **** right now.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Still can't believe he has committed such a desperate act. He was a very successful singer, he had a wife and six children, there was a lot of people around him, band mates, friends, how did it happen, that noone noticed that something's wrong?

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Still can't believe he has committed such a desperate act. He was a very successful singer, he had a wife and six children, there was a lot of people around him, band mates, friends, how did it happen, that noone noticed that something's wrong?

That's why depression and these underlying issues are so insidious. A lot of people who have killed themselves "seem happy" or don't show any signs or talk of going though with it right before it actually happens. He did have a past history with drug/alcohol abuse, and did say suicide had crossed his mind in the past.

From what I remember hearing, that sort of thing happens because they have accepted the fact that they're going through with it. I'm definitely not an expert though, and each situation is different. Though there seems to be a common thread with a lot of people close to individuals that commit suicde being absolutely caught off gaurd.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
LP was a huge part of my teenage years. Still listen frequently when i'm pissed off. Numb/Encore with Jay Z was my go to pump up before I'd hit the ice. Just watching some interviews talking about Mr.Cornell you could tell it was hitting him quite hard.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
That's why depression and these underlying issues are so insidious. A lot of people who have killed themselves "seem happy" or don't show any signs or talk of going though with it right before it actually happens. He did have a past history with drug/alcohol abuse, and did say suicide had crossed his mind in the past.

From what I remember hearing, that sort of thing happens because they have accepted the fact that they're going through with it. I'm definitely not an expert though, and each situation is different. Though there seems to be a common thread with a lot of people close to individuals that commit suicde being absolutely caught off gaurd.

It reminds me of the song "Tears of a Clown" by Iron Maiden, wich Bruce Dickinson has dedicated to Robin Williams, where he sings that sometimes a man can make happy and motivate a lot of people around him, but there's noone, who motivates him. It realy makes me sad to realize, that any of your friends can be devastated inside and you even won't be abel to recognize that.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

Sometimes there's just nothing you can do - whether they're suffering silently or open about their issues (which Chester generally was at least when it came to addictions and I feel the songs likely spoke for themselves)....sometimes it's just...too much. It would be nice to think that having success, friends and a good support system can stop these things but it's sadly not the case.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
RIP Chester.

I listened to Hybrid Theory over and over again when I was a kid, LP is what got me into rock.

Numb, Forgotten and In The End are his three best songs IMO. Chester was a super talented guy.

His songs always struck me as if they had been written by someone battling depression. I didn't know he was still dealing with depression, this came out of nowhere.

Apr 28, 2010

People can only do so much. They will do everything to support/help you but at the end of the day, they can't be there for you 24/7. Friends, bandmates, even family members have their own lives to live too.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006

depression is a horrible disease. those who say suck it up are the *****es who don't understand how bad it can be.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Like many here, Linkin Park's debut records were part of my formative years. What always struck me with how unique their sound was and how many different elements they had to their band, Chester's voice was the main cog that drew me in. He had such a unique power and range, and it really started to show in the later albums.

He was a true talent, and I'm sad that he is gone. It's so easy for people to cross it off as an act of cowardice or selfishness, but what he experienced in his youth and struggles with addiction can lead down an incredibly difficult path. I personally could never imagine getting to that point, but I try my best to understand so that I can do my part in reaching out to whomever I know who goes through those struggles. It's important to let them know they are not alone.

RIP Chester

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
He's been open about having depression issues in the past.

He was also very good friends with Chris Cornell, and today would have been his birthday. No speculation, but the coincidence is haunting,

Wouldn't doubt that it was more than a coincidence.

Feel even worse for the wife and kids.

First band I ever saw live..

Same.. this one hits hard.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Even worse finding out that he killed himself the same way as Chris and on Cornell's birthday of all days. Chester was a true voice of the 2000's and music lost another great one.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I've always followed LP. Really dig the majority of their stuff specifically for striking a certain emotion. Seemed like decent guys and did a lot of humanitarian work that went unnoticed. I never saw them live but ironically was considering a show next weekend. That said, the story here is about sex abuse, drug abuse, and six fatherless children.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->