Sportsnet: Chelios take a shot at Shanahan

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
What a douchey, shameless plug for his stupid book.

I didn't even know that moron could read never mind write

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
If we read between the lines, Shanahan is a calculating 2 sided person, in other words Executive material. I prefer the Loyal honest types like Lou Lamorello, but if Chelios is being sincere, and I have no doubt he is. Nonis better watch his back.

Regardless I always loved Chelios, The guy was a warrior on the ice.

and an ******* off of it

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
Him and Ulf were the dirtiest players of that era.
Good to see Chelios hasn't lost a step in the ahole department.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Well then it's a good thing Shanny is more Presidential than Managerial, eh? ;)

That makes a world of sense then. Without any qualified experience, tenure and first hand knowledge of being a GM at the NHL level will make him extremely qualified and well versed on how to, and what to look for in a GM when having to hire.

TheThrill81*

That makes a world of sense then. Without any qualified experience, tenure and first hand knowledge of being a GM at the NHL level will make him extremely qualified and well versed on how to, and what to look for in a GM when having to hire.

What are you trying to say, that only former GMs should be the President of a club? That's ridiculous.

What makes you think he didn't receive first hand knowledge from Ken Holland, for example? It seems like Shanny is observing from above, and seeing how things work. Don't think for a second he's not checking how Nonis operates.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
We disagree, there is nothing more to add to this discussion. If you cannot see how Shanahan was handed a Vice President role with the NHL straight from retiring as a player to being handed the President job of the Toronto Maple Leafs with zero Team Executive experience, we can't have a conversation.

I am not sure why you are defending he earned his jobs. Let's just call it as it is, it's not like he was Yzerman who put in 4 years under Holland, paid his dues assembling 2 Team Canada teams before earning the TB job.

paying his dues:whatever:

Shanahans 18yrs with the NHLPA is not paying dues?

I like StevieY but lets get real!

Going from captain of the team to Senior Vice-President is not exactly paying your dues, and then under the tutelage of Holland and Rutherford(the real team Canada GM's 1st time around) given the thankless and oh so difficult task of picking an all-star team of Canadians to play in the Olympics

funny I picked the exact same team both times just by watching a few games, it wasn't that difficult selecting Crosby Getzlaf and Toews and didn't get any more difficult when it came to picking Perry, Marleau, Nash, Iginla, Bergeron, and Erik Staal to round out the top 9

It must of gotten tough though I suppose when it came to picking the D when the choices are Niedermeyer, Pronger Keith, Doughty, Seabrook and Weber

Canada could of iced 2 teams at both games and finished 1st and 4th, so please no deification when it comes to the games

No doubt the guy ahs done well in Tampa, but he had lots of building blocks to start with there

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
I suppose we will see if the "politician" tag is apt.

Politicians are generally motivated by one burning desire that informs every single decision they make: to maintain power at all costs.

Shannahan has so far ensured that his tenure will withstand the departure of numerous people before any serious calls are made for his own head:

—Carlyle
—Nonis
—the core of the Leafs

After two historic collapses and signs that the Leafs are fundamentally ****ed in a major way, the Leafs engaged in minor tinkering in the off-season. The party line, delivered numerous times by Shannahan in the off-season was: we basically don't believe that past performance is an indication of future performance.

Still, I would say that five years hence, once Carlyle, Nonis and numerous high-profile players are long gone, Shannahan will still be around.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00