Cheer for the Islander tank or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Just want to pile on a little more. Funny.

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype · Mar 5
Which NHL GM did worst at the trade deadline? A. Mike Gillis; B. Garth Snow; C. Gillis and Snow; D. Snow and Gillis; E. All of the above.

Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski · 11h
I know the trade deadline is over, but I'd be willing to make an exception to see Mike Gillis and Garth Snow make a deal

Burke is getting a pass

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
He said "might be"... I mean, if by some grace of the Hockey Gods we end up with McDavid or Eichel because of this trade... it will definitely rival the Hasek trade.

You have to wait a few years to draw that comparasion because neither McDavid or Eichel is one the best in the world/all-time and we don't know if they will be either.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
So the rangers building depth by adding in your opinion an AHL defensemen is going to have an impact on their games vs the Isles?

Makes sense... Maybe we should just give away nick Crawford to the Devils as well

:rolleyes:

What does it have to do with their games vs. NYI? Again, it's about being stronger over 82 games.

And if Mike Weber only had to play 12-15 minutes a night, 50 games a year, he'd be fine. The problem is he plays way over his head in his current role. Of course, that was just a loose example. And of course, you know that.

Last edited by a moderator:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Every team needs depth.

The crux of your argument is that even a depth player like Weber would matter enough to win a team more games than they would without him. Not only more games, but specifically games against one team. I, and many others I believe, vehemently disagree with that position.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What does it have to do with their games vs. NYI? Again, it's about being stronger over 82 games.

oh right... the Isles will be competing with NY and NJ for 4th in the conference :laugh:

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
You have to wait a few years to draw that comparasion because neither McDavid or Eichel is one the best in the world/all-time and we don't know if they will be either.

I agree that it will be a while before we see if it pays dividends. Hell, just look at the Cam Neely trade for Boston. 25 years later and its still paying dividends. A lot of key pieces for their cup were acquired through parts of that trade. I know, not entirely the same situation.

If we end up with a franchise player who brings this city something it hasnt seen before, it wont have mattered if he was better than Gretzky or Lemieux, or the G.O.A.T as Hasek was for goalies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
The crux of your argument is that even a depth player like Weber would matter enough to win a team more games than they would without him. Not only more games, but specifically games against one team. I, and many others I believe, vehemently disagree with that position.

Over 1, 5 or 10 games, you are probably right. But over a full season it would make a difference. And again, you bring up games against the Islanders, which it is not about at all. It's about cumulative record, not about record against NYI.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I am kind of hoping that Snow retains his 2014 first. The way they are going and the way Snow and Wang are running the show, they'll be just as bad (maybe worse?) next year and we could use their pick, plus our own for a real shot at McDavid...

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I am kind of hoping that Snow retains his 2014 first. The way they are going and the way Snow and Wang are running the show, they'll be just as bad (maybe worse?) next year and we could use their pick, plus our own for a real shot at McDavid...
We just need to hijack edmonton's first and then this plan is flawless.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Over 1, 5 or 10 games, you are probably right. But over a full season it would make a difference. And again, you bring up games against the Islanders, which it is not about at all. It's about cumulative record, not about record against NYI.
Then I guess we just have to completely disagree here.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Mike Weber went from "Worst Defensemen in the NHL" to "Final Standings Changing Defensemen".... amazing.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Hey Guys,

Isles fan here coming in peace. Just an FYI. There is a decent chance the 2014 pick will be yours, even if we land in the top 10...realistically top 3-6.

[nhl]569363[/nhl]

Snows interview. The part where he says "we may have to defer the 2014 pick, even if we are in the top 10"

If you don't want to listen to the WHOLE interview...it starts at 4 min 30 sec.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Hey Guys,

Isles fan here coming in peace. Just an FYI. There is a decent chance the 2014 pick will be yours, even if we land in the top 10...realistically top 3-6.

[nhl]569363[/nhl]

Snows interview. The part where he says "we may have to defer the 2014 pick, even if we are in the top 10"

If you don't want to listen to the WHOLE interview...it starts at 4 min 30 sec.

saw this in the main board thread---the full 15 minute interview.

He basically is saying what many of us have specualted...

If its a top 3 pick he likely holds onto it
if its 4-6 its a toss up
if its 7-10 he likely gives it to Buffalo.

I feel bad for Garth if what I read is true----he had better deals on the table but salary had to be retained to do them to allow Vanek to fit under that teams cap. Wang refused to allow salary retention.

What sort of message will that say to the UFAs they want to try and sign

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
saw this in the main board thread---the full 15 minute interview.

He basically is saying what many of us have specualted...

If its a top 3 pick he likely holds onto it
if its 4-6 its a toss up
if its 7-10 he likely gives it to Buffalo.

I feel bad for Garth if what I read is true----he had better deals on the table but salary had to be retained to do them to allow Vanek to fit under that teams cap. Wang refused to allow salary retention.

What sort of message will that say to the UFAs they want to try and sign

Based on win%, they'd have the 4th pick right now. I don't see them having anything worse than the #5 pick. Nashville would pick #6 right now, and they're basically a .500 team that I can't see finishing worse than 77-82 pts.

The top-5 is pretty much set right now, absent one of the teams between 6-14 winning the lottery. I guess we have to hope the Isles get the 5th pick and decide to give it up.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Based on win%, they'd have the 4th pick right now. I don't see them having anything worse than the #5 pick. Nashville would pick #6 right now, and they're basically a .500 team that I can't see finishing worse than 77-82 pts.

The top-5 is pretty much set right now, absent one of the teams between 6-14 winning the lottery. I guess we have to hope the Isles get the 5th pick and decide to give it up.

I am joining the crew of 2015 1st. If they miss the playoffs which is highly likely I want that extra % towards the lottery win. I also want the Sabres to draft 3/4 players in the first round next year when I go to it in Florida.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If Wang wouldn't retain salary 18 months before moving to Barclays to fix one of the worst trades in the last decade what makes people think he's going to spend anything more than cap floor 14 months before the move?

Snow is going to have to make trades for help or hope that a garbage heap goaltender plays out of his mind next year for the Islanders to make the playoffs. They'll get growth from young players but that likely wont be enough to make next year's team any better.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Down with one of the big three and another top 5 guy. Those two and a top 5 next year would be franchise defining even if they didn't manage to get mcdavid next year

captaincrunch89

Jan 13, 2011
North Tonawanda
Down with one of the big three and another top 5 guy. Those two and a top 5 next year would be franchise defining even if they didn't manage to get mcdavid next year

This is what I'm saying too, we're in a total win win scenario here. If we get our hands on Reinhart and Dal Colle then with the depth of the top 10 next year, I'm all set.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If Wang wouldn't retain salary 18 months before moving to Barclays to fix one of the worst trades in the last decade what makes people think he's going to spend anything more than cap floor 14 months before the move?

Snow is going to have to make trades for help or hope that a garbage heap goaltender plays out of his mind next year for the Islanders to make the playoffs. They'll get growth from young players but that likely wont be enough to make next year's team any better.

As an Isles fan, I think the plan is to spend all of the money necessary to reaching the floor($6M or so) on a goaltender, and hire a new coach - preferably one with some experience and success(Laviolette has been discussed on the Isles board a bit).

My guess is they will offer that money to a guy like Hiller, and hope prospect Reinhart, who they have been very patient with to this point, is capable of stepping in to the 2nd pairing with Visnovsky.

Honestly, I have no idea how next season will go. IMO making the 8 seed is just as likely as finishing bottom-5. All depends on who the new coach is, and whether or not they can get that quality goaltender. Either way, if they can sneak up in the standings a bit by the end of this season(into that 7th overall pick range) I'd probably give up the '14 1st to play it safe.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

and it wasn't long ago that you thought the idea was ridiculous

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
and it wasn't long ago that you thought the idea was ridiculous

I still do think it's ridiculous. Ultimately, I think they'll keep their pick. I've since listened to the interview and Garth didn't lay it out the way Djp represented it--go figure. I think he "considers" giving it up if they fall into the 7th or 8th pick. But they're miles away from getting there, especially with no Tavares or Vanek. In fact, I think it's more likely they're picking 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad