Confirmed with Link: Checkers win the Calder Cup!

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
it's incredible that we lost a star level player at the ahl in kuokkanen and barely even noticed his absence. the depth of this team is absurd. it sucks, but it's hard to imagine there's a place for a lot of these guys in the nhl where they belong. a number of these guys will be waiver eligible next season, right?

I *think* the only guys we have to worry about regarding waivers are the d-men, Fleury and McKeown (who are both RFAs anyhow). We may also face issues with guys like Wallmark, McGinn (RFA), Maenalanen (RFA) and Foegele, guys who have at least somewhat established themselves as NHLers, due to our depth at forward.

I think all the key guys: Necas, Bean, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Saarela, Geekie, Sellgren, Luostaranen, Roy, Mattheos are safe.

Based on his "RFA with arb. rights" and what we just saw from our AHL players, I wouldn't be surprised if McGinn is on the way out. I love the guy and I'm sure he's not headed to a big payday, but we just can't afford to *give* him a spot. With 240 NHL games under his belt, he's basically shown himself to be a 25-point guy, and we have better options.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Based on his "RFA with arb. rights" and what we just saw from our AHL players, I wouldn't be surprised if McGinn is on the way out. I love the guy and I'm sure he's not headed to a big payday, but we just can't afford to *give* him a spot. With 240 NHL games under his belt, he's basically shown himself to be a 25-point guy, and we have better options.

as expected on mcginn, i will have to passionately disagree with the take that he is on the way out. to me, the only way he's not on this team next year is if he decides to go to arbitration and gets awarded something silly. i think it's too early to cap him at 25 points, especially considering he had 30 last year in what was basically his first full season. mcginn and martinook's numbers were eerily similar, and i don't think anyone would express that martinook is/should be in danger. plus, mcginn had a strong playoff year. i think he ends up in the $2.5 range for 2-3 years. i think it makes far more sense to fill your bottom six with martinook/mcginn types than failed scoring prospects. 15-15-30 with 150 hits and 50+ takeaways isn't going to go out of style in any iteration of the league.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I *think* the only guys we have to worry about regarding waivers are the d-men, Fleury and McKeown (who are both RFAs anyhow). We may also face issues with guys like Wallmark, McGinn (RFA), Maenalanen (RFA) and Foegele, guys who have at least somewhat established themselves as NHLers, due to our depth at forward.

I think all the key guys: Necas, Bean, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Saarela, Geekie, Sellgren, Luostaranen, Roy, Mattheos are safe.

I’ll be a bit surprised if McGinn is gone. I agree with your rationale as to why he might be moved though, just that Rod probably loves the guy. Not everyone can fit though, so going to be interesting to see what happens.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
In reality, the Checkers have multiple players who could make the Canes at every position except RHD and G in the next two years.

Center--Geekie, Bishop, Roy
LW--Saarela, Kuokkanen, (Jurco?)
RW--Necas, Gauthier, Mattheos, Poturalski
LD--Fleury, Bean, Sellgren

It is even possible that one of Booth or Helvig star in the AHL next season, so it ends up being only RHD where McKeown is the lone realistic prospect.

That is pretty amazing.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I really want Bean to be successful not only because we greatly need his skill set but also to shut up a ton of idiotic Canadian fans who have been calling him a bust since world jrs despite never watching him play or having a clue as to how he’s developing.

IDK what they are watching if they are still saying that. This kid can play. I don't think he'll be a high-end points producer but more of a steady 40-45 point guy with a good defensive stick and a good, aggressive breakout pass. He threaded the needle on one last night that popped Bishop (I think it was Bishop) and that was a pass nobody currently on the Canes can make.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
In reality, the Checkers have multiple players who could make the Canes at every position except RHD and G in the next two years.

It is even possible that one of Booth or Helvig star in the AHL next season, so it ends up being only RHD where McKeown is the lone realistic prospect.

That is pretty amazing.
I’m more bullish on Ned as a goalie prospect than Roy as a center prospect or Potsie as a winger prospect. I’m surprised you left him off the list as a guy that could be in the NHL in the next two years. In fact, given contracts and guys already at positions on the NHL team, only Necas looks more likely than Ned to be on the team next year.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Not gonna bullsh*t you dudes, I had no idea. No info what so ever about till now. Here I'm watching Aho highlights light a jerk and now this? Before I thought the whole this was about marlies. Oh can't wait what future brings.

And still don't know nothing, but since you're hogging all the Finns. I'm with you. Just kidding, I like the team, but I do demand Aho and maybe Teräväinen. Is it fair to ask that for a interesting team that I've grown to love?

This is awesome.

Edit: Too long to read? Love you guys!

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I’m more bullish on Ned as a goalie prospect than Roy as a center prospect or Potsie as a winger prospect. I’m surprised you left him off the list as a guy that could be in the NHL in the next two years. In fact, given contracts and guys already at positions on the NHL team, only Necas looks more likely than Ned to be on the team next year.
Sorry for the confusion--I was taking Ned as a given (implied that there weren't "multiple" goalies who could make it in the next two years).
I actually replied to a post by Dave G on the main board listing each team's top 10 prospects by listing Ned at 3 behind Necas and Bean.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
IDK what they are watching if they are still saying that. This kid can play. I don't think he'll be a high-end points producer but more of a steady 40-45 point guy with a good defensive stick and a good, aggressive breakout pass. He threaded the needle on one last night that popped Bishop (I think it was Bishop) and that was a pass nobody currently on the Canes can make.

I think that’s just it - they’re not watching.

A few weeks back there was a Montreal - Carolina proposal on the trade board that had Bean going for Suzuki and the amount of habs fans shitting on Bean and calling him a bust was unreal. They all speak as if they’re the authority on all things Jake Bean when you damn well know they’re not watching checkers games.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I actually replied to a post by Dave G on the main board listing each team's top 10 prospects by listing Ned at 3 behind Necas and Bean.

Having watched the Checkers all season and the playoffs I would say the top prospects are:
  1. Necas
  2. Bean
  3. Ned
  4. Geekie
  5. Kuokkanen
  6. Luostarinen
  7. Saarela
  8. Gauthier
  9. Sellgren
  10. Roy
Wonder what others think. For me Geekie and Kuokkanen are equal and 6-10 could be in just about any order. For instance I don't see Roy as having Gauthier's upside, but do think he could be a perfect 4C if his skating improves marginally.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

A few weeks back there was a Montreal - Carolina proposal on the trade board that had Bean going for Suzuki and the amount of habs fans ****ting on Bean and calling him a bust was unreal. They all speak as if they’re the authority on all things Jake Bean when you damn well know they’re not watching checkers games.

But but but, they're from Montreal! They know everything there is to know about Hockey and if they say Jake Bean is a bust then by God he is a bust and we non-traditional fans need to learn to accept that!

I think I remember that thread too, lots of dumb takes in it.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I was thinking about this today as well. Necas needs a really good summer of training to help him solidify his spot next year but he's also going to need more rest than he usually gets. This is by far the longest season and most hockey he has played in a single year.

As a licensed, non-practicing trainer, I can assure you it's possible to do both (rest and train). Our understanding of fitness has come a long way the past few years, and "active recovery" is a big reason why. You don't need two-a-days in the weight room to get stronger these days, and I'm sure Brindy knows that as well as anyone. Even if the guys take a month at the lake house, they'll have some kettlebells, bands and plyo boxes nearby to get in some work.

Also, if Necas wasn't playing in the Calder Cup playoffs, he'd have almost-certainly been at the World Championships, so I don't see the difference.

These guys are in their early 20s. They'll be fine. I'm far more worried about Martinook, TvR and de Haan with their surgeries.

as expected on mcginn, i will have to passionately disagree with the take that he is on the way out. to me, the only way he's not on this team next year is if he decides to go to arbitration and gets awarded something silly. i think it's too early to cap him at 25 points, especially considering he had 30 last year in what was basically his first full season. mcginn and martinook's numbers were eerily similar, and i don't think anyone would express that martinook is/should be in danger. plus, mcginn had a strong playoff year. i think he ends up in the $2.5 range for 2-3 years. i think it makes far more sense to fill your bottom six with martinook/mcginn types than failed scoring prospects. 15-15-30 with 150 hits and 50+ takeaways isn't going to go out of style in any iteration of the league.

Yeah, I knew you'd not approve, but it really comes down to spots on the roster, and not so much production. Unless we're going to come back with the same lineup, somebody has to go to make room. If we swap Necas in for Ferland, is that enough changeover to freshen things up? If not, and if Williams is back, somebody among McGinn, Martinook, Foegele, Wallmark and Maenalanen *has* to go. Due to contracts, it's either McGinn or Maenalanen.

That is pretty amazing.

Having watched the Checkers all season and the playoffs I would say the top prospects are:
  1. Necas
  2. Bean
  3. Ned
  4. Geekie
  5. Kuokkanen
  6. Luostarinen
  7. Saarela
  8. Gauthier
  9. Sellgren
  10. Roy
Wonder what others think. For me Geekie and Kuokkanen are equal and 6-10 could be in just about any order. For instance I don't see Roy as having Gauthier's upside, but do think he could be a perfect 4C if his skating improves marginally.

Flip Sellgren and Saarela and that's my list. Luostarinen is such a wild-card, though. I'd probably put Sellgren ahead of him, too, only because we've seen how quickly and easily he adjusted to North America.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Headed to Bojos in a few for the Checkers Calder Cup Celebration. That should put a nice little bow on what has been a very enjoyable hockey season this year. (Cherry on top would be STL winning in gm 7 against BOS...but we can’t get too greedy)

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

A few weeks back there was a Montreal - Carolina proposal on the trade board that had Bean going for Suzuki and the amount of habs fans ****ting on Bean and calling him a bust was unreal. They all speak as if they’re the authority on all things Jake Bean when you damn well know they’re not watching checkers games.

*People talking about players they don't watch and couldn't pick out of a police lineup* should be the epigraph of the trade board.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
*People talking about players they don't watch and couldn't pick out of a police lineup* should be the epigraph of the trade board.

Yep. On the Oiler's board in the Puljujarvi thread a few days ago, some poster made a comment about trading Puljujarvi for another disappointing, struggling prospect and then went on to name Bean and Necas. When some other poster said Necas wasn't disappointing, he went on to say "Well, he made the team out of camp 2 years in a row and couldn't stick."

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad