Checkers III: The Age of Ulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Nice come-from-behind victory. Would like to see that more often with the big club.

At Canes Country the in-game comments were about two things: how WB was more physical and how the Checkers were over-passing. But I think Saarela summed it up best:

"They tried to play hard and that’s their way of playing. We don’t need to do that. We have skilled guys and we just have to respond with what they’re giving to us. I think that’s pretty simple."

I included the video link because from a demeanor and style standpoint I think Aho and Teravainen are the Duncan and Ginobili of hockey.

Everyone is giving Dundon the benefit of the doubt to do things differently even though "purists" are annoyed. Yet it is the whole toughness thing that he gets wrong. The entire organization can become hockey's version of the Spurs if they focus on having skill and not needing to "do that" (try to out tough other teams). Don't get me wrong, Popovich and his team are mentally tougher than the rest of the league. But their toughness derives from their belief in the system and each other. If Vellucci is achieving that in Charlotte, then I hope he is behind the bench in Raleigh next year.

This quote from Vellucci sounds like his inner Popovich: "If you’ve watched us play all year, you know that we never give up, we’ve always fought back no matter what the score was and won a lot of games that way. The guys never give up, they compete and they stay positive. That was the key to me. Every game we talk about being positive, being a good teammate. Things may go bad, and how will you respond? We responded positively today."

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I can't stand the Spurs and would love to see them swept in round 1 but you're damn right I'd love for our team to have the success that they've had. 20 straight years of playoffs? Sign me up.

If Vellucci is going to be Popovich though, we need to make sure he is also like him in interviews.

Pierre McGuire: "Vellucci what went wrong that period?"
Vellucci: "We didn't score a goal"

Don Cherry: "Coach why did your team not register a shot on goal that PP?"
Vellucci: "I think your suit was distracting the team"

Reporter: "(Insert dumb question here)"
Vellucci: "What the hell kind of question is that?".

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I also liked this quote from Vellucci:

"I would say nerves, trying to do too much and make the perfect play. But we’re a skilled team and try to make that perfect play all the time. As a coach I hate to curb their offensive ability and their process, especially in a developmental league, but at this point in the playoffs, yeah, I think I want them to shoot a little more."

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
At Canes Country the in-game comments were about two things: how WB was more physical and how the Checkers were over-passing. But I think Saarela summed it up best:

"They tried to play hard and that’s their way of playing. We don’t need to do that. We have skilled guys and we just have to respond with what they’re giving to us. I think that’s pretty simple."

I included the video link because from a demeanor and style standpoint I think Aho and Teravainen are the Duncan and Ginobili of hockey.

I get the idea here. "You play chippy, we'll play hockey, and we'll take the "W"." But there are two issues with that as the Hurricanes are currently constructed. No. 1, we're not skilled *enough* to get away with it. And No. 2, we have too many guys who run the other way when the going gets tough (Teravainen, Lindholm, Rask, etc.) and too few who feed off of it, like Aho does. On top of being two of the most mentally-tough players of their generation, Duncan and Ginobili were also incredibly skilled. You've got to have both. We have some of each, but very few players with both.

Charlotte can play that way because they actually have the skill and guts to back it up. Look at the LWs in Charlotte's lineup today. Deeper, better group than the Hurricanes started most nights this season.

upload_2018-4-21_19-24-14.png

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Aside from the fact that plenty of NHL goalies have let in goals like that and been just fine, it was his first game in a few weeks I believe.
Yeah, to be fair to him, that goal is only a small fraction of as problematic as his less-than-stellar career numbers in the AHL. Not many goalies with stats like his become much more than journeymen minor leaguers/occasional NHL call ups as the #3 :dunno:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah, to be fair to him, that goal is only a small fraction of as problematic as his less-than-stellar career numbers in the AHL. Not many goalies with stats like his become much more than journeymen minor leaguers/occasional NHL call ups as the #3 :dunno:

To be even *more* fair to him, basing his NHL potential on overall numbers and refusing to acknowledge that he's been lights-out since Jan. 1 this year is also problematic. This team is not the hottest in the AHL *in spite* of Nedeljkovic. He's been a very big part of their season turning around, and may very well have turned a corner in his own development as a goalie.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah, that may have been a Darling-esque laugher, but he also gave up a grand total of zero goals after that. When Darling tended to do something like that it would be followed by about 4-5 more, most of them also extremely weak. Says a lot about the mental toughness of Ned that he was able to bounce back from that and go completely lights out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad