Checkers III: The Age of Ulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
this is late but i went to games 3 and 4, and here is what i saw. I'm not a scout, and i couldn't tell you what you're looking for in ahlers (outside that it's less about literal production and more about transferability), and it's a 2 game sample size against, frankly, a better team, but here goes.

(I'll say that the phantoms looked like a very, very, very bad NHL team while the checkers looked like a particularly good ahl team)

Zykov, Saarela: Only guys on the roster that have +nhl offensive skills. Zykov, we know, he's big and deadly around the net. Saarela was the only guy with actual nhl offensive talent as ive come to see it, he was constantly making offensive chances and (most surprisingly) showed some 1v1 ability critical to nhl success.

McLovin: still big and fast, though I'm a bit concerned this didn't lead to a bigger impact on the game. hockey sense problems?

Clarke Bishop: what a revelation. darkhorse candidate to make the nhl as a 4th liner. I'd be shocked if he ever scores 20 pts or more, but he was a physical presence.

Fleury: Fleury looked irritated he had to start his vacation a month after all his nhl buddies. I would be too for the first summer after my bank account serendipitously grew by 5 zeroes. Visibly dngaf. still charlottes best defender.

Kuokoanen: didn't notice him

Wallmark: If you had told me this guy was one of the top scorers in the ahl, I'd have called you a liar. Not an nhler.

Kitchen: They had a guy named Kitchen. Neat!

Gauthier: Gauthiers body looked like that of an nhler. His face looked like a 17 year old at a SuperChunk concert. Wasn't bad, but def a project. he had one play where he nearly pulled off a goal after beating two guys 1v1, but otherwise he was mist noticeable on the boards

Bean: bean played one game. looked like a teen among men, he needs to bulk up. had one bad play (poor angle and outskated for a breakaway) and one good play (got a clean ozone entry gainst the 1-2-2 ) and otherwise the most noticeable fact was that his uniform didn't fit at all.

McKeown: we actually have a logjam at rd. I want this guy to get a chance. not bad at all.

Roy: The stories are true. He's big. He's smart. He's slow. What they didn't tell you is: his hands are made of lead. Early into the first game he had a couple plays that elicited: "Wow, good idea! if he had pulled that off that would have been a great opportunity!" then it kept happening and i realized this is a major problem.

ned: i don't know. really.

poturalski, miller: the better forwards on the team....bleh

mckegg: i did not notice greg mckegg, no i didn't, for i was slammed.

they shoukd get 2-3 depth nhlers out of this crop of forwards, methinks.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2013
Little late but I didn't see this posted.

https://thehockeywriters.com/hurricanes-prospect-sergey-tolchinsky/

Might explain a bit why Tolchinsky got fed up with the team and left like he did. Looks like some teams wanted to acquire him at the deadline, but Francis declined, because we still had interest in him. The changeover happened, and the season ended without him getting called up. Naturally, this led to us losing him for nothing :eyeroll: Though it's not likely we missed out on anything of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad