Checkers III: The Age of Ulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That I don't know. I think at Spectrum Center the dogs who needed to go out would go out where the smoking section is as I think theres a grassy area there. Have no idea at Bojangles Coliseum.

And yeah, they've always done this on Sunday afternoons late in the season. Less chance of big crowds so more seats for dogs.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Hopefully the checkers go farther than Lowell did that year. I think they were out pretty early if my memory serves me correctly.
Yep. I flew up there during the lockout and watched two games in the opening round against Providence...Game 3 on Friday night and Game 4 on Saturday night. The LMs did well in Game 3 and won it, but looked bad in Game 4 and lost. During the loss, I remember these two locals sitting in front of me slagging Staal for lazy play, and remember being pissed at them for bagging on our prized possession. Turns out, I'd later share that sentiment...who knew. Providence won in 5 games, I think...might've been 6, but it wasn't a close series.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Yep. I flew up there during the lockout and watched two games in the opening round against Providence...Game 3 on Friday night and Game 4 on Saturday night. The LMs did well in Game 3 and won it, but looked bad in Game 4 and lost. During the loss, I remember these two locals sitting in front of me slagging Staal for lazy play, and remember being pissed at them for bagging on our prized possession. Turns out, I'd later share that sentiment...who knew. Providence won in 5 games, I think...might've been 6, but it wasn't a close series.

That Providence team had Bergeron and a bunch of other guys who had decent to marginal NHL careers. It was the best that league was ever going to be with legit NHL talent down there.

Lowell had Giordano too which I didnt recall.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I was at both games this past weekend. The 7-3 win was pretty great, Kooks was just killing it, 2 goals in 7 seconds!! His 2 goals were so close together, they didn't get to announce it, so nobody knew he had a hat-trick until later. Gauthier has also looked a bit better in those games I think. Smith was putting on his best Scott Darling impersonation (slower than molasses), but only faced 16 shots Saturday (they easily could have gotten 3-4 more on him he was so out of position, our defense bailed him out). Also, Carrick has been dog**** in the games I've seen him in recently...can't hold the blue line, misses pucks passed 6 inches from his stick, constantly does slapshots off the guy 3 feet in front of him, turns the puck over in front of the net with stupid passes.

The Sunday game (Pooch Party) the entire team except Booth played like dog**** (basically opposite of Saturday night), he saved the game honestly. We got a couple lucky goals and Booth pretty well shut down the Bears opportunities. He still has some issues with ending up WAY out of the net, but he controlled his rebounds really well. And yea, the powerplay was complete opposite of Saturday night as well (we went 3 for 5 and had 2 more on the delayed penalty). Sunday we even had a 5 min powerplay with 4 min of it spent 5 on 3 and generated TWO whole shots (neither any good), it was pretty pitiful.

As for the pooch party, they've been doing it for about 6-7 years now, my parents have always brought their dogs, this year I got to bring my pup! It's generally the last Sunday home game of the year. They enter us through a lower-side door and give everyone wristbands so you can go in & out as needed to let the dogs do their business. They put everyone on one end in the same couple sections, and though you have assigned seats, most people tend to move around and spread out to give some extra room for the dogs (i.e. our family of 4 hoomans + 3 dogs took up 6 seats).

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
02C391FC-4354-4B3D-9E4C-6149369E4F9E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino