Confirmed with Link: Chayka Out - The Fallout and Search for his Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We've got playoff style hockey.
We've got a more talented roster than ever before.
We've got a 1/8 shot at 1 OA if we lose the play-in round.
We've got a rich owner working on a new arena deal.
We've got some major front office drama stealing all the headlines.

It's an interesting time to be a Coyote fan.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

True! At least we aren't bored right now haha.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

can a screenshot of this just be our playoff avatar?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm interested to see if NJ really bailed on him once the drama picked up or if he still has that job offer.
My Delstradamus bet is that Meruelo went to Uncle Gary as this developed, and Bettman told NJ (and Meruelo) to sit on this quick and quietly until the season was over. Chayka is still hoping Meruelo will release him sooner rather than later.
All of a sudden the rumour mill starts, and the job offer is actually rescinded. NJ explains that Muruelo went to Bettman, and Bettman 86'd the deal, and they don't want to wait for him. They've got to get their ducks in a row today, not several more months.
Chayka is pissed and stops doing his job, and then quits because even though he really, really wanted to stay, angel that he is, "ownership made that an impossibility".

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
My Delstradamus bet is that Meruelo went to Uncle Gary as this developed, and Bettman told NJ (and Meruelo) to sit on this quick and quietly until the season was over. Chayka is still hoping Meruelo will release him sooner rather than later. All of a sudden the rumour mill starts, and the job offer is rescinded. NJ explains that Muruelo went to Bettman, and Bettman 86'd the deal for now. Chayka is pissed and stops doing his job, and then quits because even though he really, really wanted to stay :halo: "ownership made that an impossibility".

It's customary for any staff leaving a team before the draft to wait until FA dies down before officially joining them to keep up appearances. We won't really know for sure if Chayka screwed himself for months.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think Meruelo wasn't going to allow it until after the season, and NJ didn't want to wait forever, and Bettman told them all to shut up. Which would explain why we don't have good answers, and the reports that the offer was no longer on the table.
Doesn't mean he won't end up there eventually. But it shows Chayka had no interest in staying even "to keep up appearances", or he'd be in Edmonton , not taking himself out of the COVID -19 protocol as he "went dark" failing to do his job, before he bothered to threaten the org in his "I quit" statement .

f*** that guy

Also, note that quiting in a fit of pique makes little sense if you're facing a couple month delay max, and which you'd be unavailable to the new job for appearances sake (assuming he cared) for that timeline anyway. But actually losing your dream job opportunity because the owner got Bettman involved and "made that an impossibility" seems like just the thing to set someone off. Honestly, it's even worse if he was simply planning on waiting "for appearances sake". At least the "rescinded offer" scenario gives him something of a reason to feel jaded. He's got an uphill battle for sympathy either way if he wants me to believe he wanted to go to Edmonton, but ownership "forced him" to quit last Friday instead of rolling with the punches until the team he assembled got dusted in the first round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canis Latrans

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Doesn't mean he won't end up there eventually. But it shows Chayka had no interest in staying even "to keep up appearances", or he'd be in Edmonton , not taking himself out of the COVID -19 protocol as he "went dark" failing to do his job, before he bothered to threaten the org in his "I quit" statement .

f*** that guy

The keeping up appearances thing only works if you have no intention of re-signing Hall. At some point you have to disclose that Chayka isn't going to be staying. It's really not a coincidence that this was all going on quietly between league channels until Ferris leaked that Chayka wasn't at the dinner. Why? Easy:

Sportsnet reported that the initial offer to Hall was five years with an average annual value of $7.25 million, but there were contracts discussed with a higher value and at a different term between Chayka and Hall's camp.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The keeping up appearances thing only works if you have no intention of re-signing Hall. At some point you have to disclose that Chayka isn't going to be staying. It's really not a coincidence that this was all going on quietly between league channels until Ferris leaked that Chayka wasn't at the dinner. Why? Easy:
Not necessarily easy. It may not be the offer changed because of Chayka’s departure but rather the offer changed because of the new CBA. The article doesn’t say when the Chayka numbers were discussed with the Hall camp. Could have been before suspension of play or at least before the return to play/CBA was finalized. It’s likely that the clearer picture of the league economic landscape downgraded the offer, rather than the GM quitting.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You believe that Chayka couldn't play negotiations straight in-line with ownership expectations and be honest with Hall about his own future with the team? It was just impossible for him to communicate and act in good faith for a couple months? "Hey, with the revenues down league wide and some uncertainty about our space, and how we'll make it for you, I'm authorized to make this offer right now. Also, to be straight with you I plan on heading to NJ in the off-season for a great opportunity, but I put on my big boy pants and am doing my job the best I can until then". Impossible? He must be an even bigger douche than he comes across as.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
Some people have no moral compass. He would be a perfect fit for the EPL as players under contract have their agents negotiate with other teams as standard operating procedure. Maybe he will end up with Crystal Palace and can help them get relegated.

RABBIT

It's really not a coincidence that this was all going on quietly between league channels until Ferris leaked that Chayka wasn't at the dinner. Why? Easy:

I highly doubt that’s the reason why Chayka wasn’t at dinner. He may have had no idea of the offer they presented until we did. If Chayka had his mind made up why would he go to dinner? That would accomplish nothing.

I truthfully believe that Gutierrez never planned to have to negotiate a contract (arguably our most significant contract in years) by himself. That could be why the offer was so strange, they don’t have experience with professional athletes, the deals they negotiate are much different and most commonly don’t specifically involve the feeling and emotions of a singular person (Hall.)

It’s odd to suggest AM didn’t want JC there to do the negotiating, that was his employee, and that employee’s job. They had no choice but to go at it alone.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You believe that Chayka couldn't play negotiations straight in-line with ownership expectations and be honest with Hall about his own future with the team? It was just impossible for him to communicate and act in good faith for a couple months? "Hey, with the revenues down league wide and some uncertainty about our space, and how we'll make it for you, I'm authorized to make this offer right now. Also, to be straight with you I plan on heading to NJ in the off-season for a great opportunity, but I put on my big boy pants and am doing my job the best I can until then". Impossible? He must be an even bigger douche than he comes across as.

I don't think it's possible to do that and not have the rest of the league catch wind of it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
They had no choice but to go at it alone.
I find it hard to believe they were attempting to actually negotiate a contract with neither Chayka, Sullivan, or Ferris at dinner. It's a dumb assumption.

Regardless, something has to start getting done when your GM suddenly stops taking calls from agents and other teams.

Reactions: Surfshop

rt

May 13, 2004
To @RABBIT ‘s point, I’m sure they can’t prove any of it, so it’s probably not worth getting worked up over. Especially if, like me, you’re glad he’s gone.

If anything, these new details just make me feel less nervous about whether our ownership group is actually to blame for all of this. The more that comes out, the worse Chayka looks. That’s a relief. I had real fears that we’d end up with a meddling ownership group too confident in their own abilities in the hockey side of operations.

It seems more and more like they rightly trusted a pretty bright hockey guy, and didn’t try to overstep. It turns out he lied to them, betrayed them, and left them in a lurch. They rightly responded in a direct and clear manner.

Gives me hope they’ll be willing to trust a qualified hockey guy to run the hockey side again. They’ll just want to choose a better one. Hopefully one that’s established and has a good reputation and track-record of reliable professional behavior and results in the NHL.

It sounds like Chayka was disliked league-wide and not just for the wrong reasons we previously suspected. But also with good reason, too.

RABBIT

I find it hard to believe they were attempting to actually negotiate a contract with neither Chayka, Sullivan, or Ferris at dinner. It's a dumb assumption.

Regardless, something has to start getting done when your GM suddenly stops taking calls from agents and other teams.

well, according to sources an offer was made. So if we’re going to believe that, then they did in fact negotiate a deal without him. Did they have guidance from Sullivan or Chayka? We won’t know.

but yeah, I agree with the ghosting comment

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
well, according to sources an offer was made
I have no doubt that some number was tossed out as a feeler during their meet-and-greet wine-and-dine. I just don't think there was any sort of negotiating or attempt to close a deal.
There's a big difference between a "here's where we are, and here's what we're thinking" over drinks and dinner and a negotiation or even an offer. World of difference.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pretty impressive they managed to keep the GM and owner being in open conflict a secret until that dinner meeting tbh

Reactions: Kaizen and Grimes

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Wouldn't mind keeping Sullivan around to continue the foundation of scouting, drafting, and development (well, that last one can still be improved) that he was a part of. I'd like to see somebody, not named Peter Chiarelli, balance that as the VP of hockey ops with the emphasis on pro-player trades and contracts.

rt

May 13, 2004
Pretty impressive they managed to keep the GM and owner being in open conflict a secret until that dinner meeting tbh
Reports are the team was still trying to retain Chayka as recently as last week. Both Wyshynski and Morgan have reported that. The infamous Zoom call. That leads me to suspect they were still being duped.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I have no doubt that some number was tossed out as a feeler during their meet-and-greet wine-and-dine. I just don't think there was any sort of negotiating or attempt to close a deal.
There's a big difference between a "here's where we are, and here's what we're thinking" over drinks and dinner and a negotiation or even an offer. World of difference.
While I agree there is a difference between throwing out a number casually and making an actual offer I thint the number suggested all but guarantees Hall and Ferris wait until free agency rather than try to engage after that number was suggested.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Reports are the team was still trying to retain Chayka as recently as last week. Both Wyshynski and Morgan have reported that. The infamous Zoom call. That leads me to suspect they were still being duped.

And yet they also confirmed they wanted a transition plan in place, so they both knew it was over, or were planning on it. It seems like they figured Chayka, having been blocked after they learned it was actually a hockey related position, would just come back to work as usual.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That has always been Hall's public position. So what?
So nothing. If tge offer floated was 8 years at 10 million tgere would be a discussion started imo. That "floated" offer is highly unlikely to start anything but an exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad