Charlottetown Islanders: Official 2015-2016 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
I have been very disappointed with how the season has transpired so far, but the trading period has left me p*ssed off. I get that Sonier didn't mortgage the future to help for this year but he didn't do anything at all to help the future and that is what I am most upset about, to me Grant did a band-aid job in the hopes if going a round or two in the playoffs (sound familiar?). To be blunt I think he was trying to save his job. I have no problem with not going out and spending for this season because IMO they are too far behind to catch up with the contending teams but I hate the fact we did nothing to help contend for the future, again very familiar with how this franchise has been run for so many years. This is what is so frustrating, IMO they've done exactly what Savard has done for years....fall short in building a winning team and instead of cutting their losses by moving players who will not return to help the future, they hang onto them in hoping for a decent playoff.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
Just talking with people at the rink and hearing other people's conversations, there seems to be a sense of defeat and a sense of it being a lost season, and also a level of frustration. It's not fun going to the rink and seeing that because you always like to at least some optimism about the season, especially having seen it so often with the previous ownership/management. When it is like that the time I hate most is entering the playoffs because you know that more than likely you will likely be watching and following the later rounds of the playoffs from the sidelines, yet again. I hope ownership steps up in the off season and takes the steps to help bring that optimism back to the rink.

lewis94

May 6, 2009
I don't blame Sonier for taking the route he did, after building toward this year and then seeing it scuttled with Sprong sticking in Pitt, injuries, underperformance etc. McDonald, Sprong, Cooper, Weber, among others will be gone next year. After all the optimism coming into this year I don't blame him at all for taking a shot. The Isles still have lots of picks in the next few drafts.

With Sprong back and on fire, Kielly back, Chlapik and McDonald back from WJs, the additions of Blais, Vanier etc, and the fact that Sprong makes everyone around him better (look for Chlapik's numbers to improve) I think they could scare a few teams in the playoffs. But they need to be much better over the next 25 games before that can happen. Not just in terms of points but in terms of overall play. Their D needs to be much better and I'm not sure Vanier and Beaudry = Henley. Bottom line though is McDonald simply needs to be better. If he can play like he did last year and the club forms a cohesive unit then they have a chance to surprise some people.

Last edited:

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
Sprong has been great some fans are getting after him but he has been awesome yes he has had a cpl quiet games but that's expected. This team is starting to win games 7-1-2 in last 10 still can't hold a lead but hopefully that comes. Jake Coughler will be a 20 next year the kid has been awesome. The new acquisitions have all been good. Blais has 24 points in 18 games Vanier has 11 in 14 games Coughler has 15 points in 14 games 12 of them being goals. This team has 3 really good lines and a 4 th line that can play a shift I think they climb up to 9th maybe even 8 th

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
Rookies are good Boudrias is a big strong skating kid his only weakness in my eyes is he has a really weak shot.
I'm a huge fan of Gervais I can see him turning into a big strong player kind of like a Lucic I love Gervais game.

PO Joeseph has the potential to be the best defensemen to ever wear the Islanders Jersey in my opinion the kid is so good.
Welsh will be a starter as early as next season and should have a solid Q career.
Yes the D is struggling but I think once we have every D in the lineup they will be alright S for winning rounds in the playoffs just hopeing for the best.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Rookies are good Boudrias is a big strong skating kid his only weakness in my eyes is he has a really weak shot.
I'm a huge fan of Gervais I can see him turning into a big strong player kind of like a Lucic I love Gervais game.

PO Joeseph has the potential to be the best defensemen to ever wear the Islanders Jersey in my opinion the kid is so good.
Welsh will be a starter as early as next season and should have a solid Q career.
Yes the D is struggling but I think once we have every D in the lineup they will be alright S for winning rounds in the playoffs just hopeing for the best.

agreed on joseph and really like boudrias upside; gervais i have no idea , almost like a third wheel, not really sure about the " role"

ElementZ

Sep 12, 2012
New Brunswick
How are the rookies this year ?
i see you guys going at least 3rd round

LOL that is a good one...they have made it to the 2nd round once in their existence in PEI for what....almost 15 years? They will be lucky to make it out of the first round. They won't have home ice advantage in the first round and will be playing a better team.

They played a much better team last night in Saint John and got smoked 7-2...and that is with the Dogs missing 5 regulars (4 key players out of the 5)

If you really think CHA can make it to the final 4.....who gets knocked off out of RN, VD, SJ, SHA, GAT, MON. Two of those teams won't make it to the final 4 but I am willing to bet that the 3rd round will feature 4 of those 6 teams.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
LOL that is a good one...they have made it to the 2nd round once in their existence in PEI for what....almost 15 years? They will be lucky to make it out of the first round. They won't have home ice advantage in the first round and will be playing a better team.

They played a much better team last night in Saint John and got smoked 7-2...and that is with the Dogs missing 5 regulars (4 key players out of the 5)

If you really think CHA can make it to the final 4.....who gets knocked off out of RN, VD, SJ, SHA, GAT, MON. Two of those teams won't make it to the final 4 but I am willing to bet that the 3rd round will feature 4 of those 6 teams.

So what? Irrelevant. Some of the players on this team were infants during the time you're talking about. History has no bearing on what happens this year, especially in Junior hockey where turnover is so quick and so drastic.

And yea, Saint John is rolling, have been for 2 months now. But again, losing one game 7-2 against SJ is meaningless in the long run. Halifax just beat Shawningan and Moncton in a weeks span, does that make them a contender? No. Losing to a good team also doesn't mean you're not.

If you've been paying attention during the last month, Charlottetown has been one of the better teams in the league, conversely Moncton has been one of the worst.

This doesn't mean that they're going to make the final four, I still think VD, RN, GAT and SHA are the teams to beat, with SJ being the wildcard in all of this. But Charlottetown isn't going to be an easy matchup, especially not in the first round.

Again, since apparently you haven't been paying attention to the standings in the past month CHA is trending up and will finish middle of the pack, they will not play one of the top teams in round 1. In fact, they're likely to draw Moncton, Rimouski, Cape Breton or Victoriaville. All very beatable teams for them.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What happened with Goulet?

He came pretty damn close to earning a contract with the Devils in training camp, I would say as he got an extended look.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Good to see scoring being spread out

but i have to say...Q league has way too many game

players looking exhausted these days

JuniorMajeur

Oct 4, 2011
Gatineau
Question PEI people.. I'm coming in June for the draft..

Couple questions for you:

Best diner place?
BEst breakfast place?
Best take out/pizza place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad