Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
i think most people on here want mac and grizz as a pair. and chara carlo as the shutdown pair.

I would rather have McAvoy with Krug then. The
pairings you have put Krug in a 3rd pairing which
he shouldn't be. Now if you want to flip Chara/Krug
once a period maybe that can work, but pairing him with Clifton limits his TOI.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I hear what you’re saying but I actually think it’d be easier with a partner more mobile then Chara. As someone above stated he often has to retrieve pucks in both corners due to Charas lack of mobility giving him about twice the opportunities to get unloaded on. I mean also it’s not like X is out there protecting him in anyway imo

His best pairing maybe Lauzon actually.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
As far as McAvoy's play, every time Bruce gets Grizz and he out there together aside from PP2 Mac just looks better. Chara is an anchor to his game at this point. Time to change it up.

Reactions: Estlin

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Analytics and eye test both confirm that Chara drags down McAvoy. Gryz and McAvoy on the other hand are top-5 pairing in the NHL in shot shares, expected goals, scoring chances etc. Bit of a small sample size effect since they don't play a ton together (still apparently 174 minutes at 5v5 according to Natural stattrick). They should start to use Grzelcyk as a regular partner for Chuck. I believe that McAvoy's offensive game would take off if he didn't have to babysit Chara so much.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
As I said in the GDT. He was ELITE today. 6 points in his last 6. 23 pts in 56 games +16, 1 PP point. For those that will say that means he doesn't deserve the #1 unit because of that, I disagree. You know as well as I do the 2nd unit gets MAYBE one entry/chance to score every PP. Give him the keys to the car next year. New D partner that allows him to fully release his ability, and have him replace Krug on the #1 unit.. sit back and enjoy.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
As I said in the GDT. He was ELITE today. 6 points in his last 6. 23 pts in 56 games +16, 1 PP point. For those that will say that means he doesn't deserve the #1 unit because of that, I disagree. You know as well as I do the 2nd unit gets MAYBE one entry/chance to score every PP. Give him the keys to the car next year. New D partner that allows him to fully release his ability, and have him replace Krug on the #1 unit.. sit back and enjoy.

This is exactly why you trade Krug or let him walk before being bent over and over pay for a power play QB. Krug sucks 5 on 5

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
4 goals and 9 assists in his last 13 games

can we officially say his slump is over?

when he eventually gets his full confidence this guy is going to be a Norris trophy contender and a worthy heir to orr/park/bourque/chara

The only problem is that with Krug on the team eating basically every minute of PP time, he never will have the offensive production to get the nomination. I guarantee he'd put up 60+ points as the PP1 quarter back.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The only problem is that with Krug on the team eating basically every minute of PP time, he never will have the offensive production to get the nomination. I guarantee he'd put up 60+ points as the PP1 quarter back.

it is interesting... are the stars lining up to keep krug?

im a krug supporter... but his age/style of play makes me nervous as hell to longterm him in a new contract. we heard he wants to be back. have we heard what bruins are thinking?

theres so many little smurfy left shot pp qb floating around these days. a lot of them cant play defense well enough to be better than 3rd pair... but they do run a pp just fine

will bruins let krug walk? give McAvoy some rope to prove he can be a number 1? just carry a 6/7 guy with the ability to step in if McAvoy falters?

I think grzelyck can qb a pp in a pinch too. and we saw the price Calgary paid to get a guy at this deadline.

seems a guy like will butcher in jersey wouldnt have cost a lot.

I probably wouldnt give krug more than a 4 year deal... so if krug were back that might block McAvoy now, but hes so damn young too. 4 years is just going to be entering his prime for mcavoy

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

Said this 2 weeks ago... and it's been 2 more weeks of STUDLY play.

Reactions: Emerz

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006

Seems to be some statistical support for this - he is 12th in points among D in league 5x5, and has only 2 PP points. Also around PPG in last 13 games or so.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Oh yeah, he's been amazing as of late, he's definitely out of that slump. Very similar to last year where he started out iffy then went to a new level in the 2nd half of the season. This is definitely the best he's ever played.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
15 points in the past 16 games and a +14, nearly all points scored at even strength.

Looks like McAvoy found his offensive game, he's been down right dominant during this stretch, controlling play up and down the ice, having 2-3 huge hits a game, etc.

He'll be so much better once he's fully unleashed and not paired with Z anymore. Kids a stallion.

Expanding on the numbers you put up... Just did a little research... and he's been the best D in the entire NHL since January 31... arguably.

5 goals puts him 2nd behind Parayko and Spurgeon
10 assists in that span (Hughes with the most with 14, few guys tied at 13, 12, 11 etc)
+14 puts him behind Niskanen and Hedman
1 PP point in that span

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad