Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
years ago I had to face reality... i cant judge junior kids. even though I had opinions on so many, my level of successfully identifying which ones might have a good nhl career was total crap

doesnt effect me from still getting good vibes for 1 kid... or sour on another... I just need to temper my attitude with the knowledge that I know nothing about scouting kids and my opinion is worth about that much

reading this thread... it takes me to the next level. I see a hell of a lot of strong opinions here that show me some fans actually have just as little ability to judge established nhl players.

its ok though... if you can show a little humility with some of your hot takes. the reality is, McAvoy is well on his way to being a 24-25 min a night first pair dman for the next dozen years. any chance he might ever be a bust is long ago answered. hes very good now. our new question is, how great will he become?

when comparing to drew doughty lets remember some people think of doughty as the best dman in nhl the past decade. certainly any comparisons to doughty at this time is just wishful thinking.

he got a very good team friendly contract and hes transitioning into the clear cut number 1 dman on our team. his offense is a little snakebitten, but honestly imho... I doubt hes ever going to light it up offensively. I dont really see the confidence to just abandon his defensive responsibilities to go for it offensively. he doesnt have the skill of ray bourque to produce offense without making more gambling efforts

glen Wesley was like that... a very skilled guy capable of offense, but who never did develop his offensive game because he focused more on defense.

will McAvoy end up better than glen Wesley? remember Wesley was a 1000 game guy who was a top pair dman on cup winning teams... not too shabby

I think talk about McAvoy being a Norris contender are premature. I heard similar talk about a young mattias ohlund and a young brad stuart. theres certain things about McAvoy that remind me of these guys... but again, let me point out that before injuries slowed these guys down, they were legit first pair dmen

defense is a tricky position to predict. we saw a team give up on a young chris pronger. a young chris chelious was moved. a young scott stevens was allowed to move. seth jones just got traded off a couple years ago.

McAvoy is progressing very very nicely for young dman. a prodigy. but I remember kyle McLaren looked super damn impressive as a 2-3 year vet himself... he topped out and never did get better.

lets enjoy McAvoy for what he is giving us now... and lets hope as good fans should hope he still has upside. and as for his lack of goals... omg... grow up...

he still moves the puck well... he still clears his zone... he still ignites offensive opportunities. sometimes offensive production is a result of some luck. McAvoy's game is very good right now

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Well, he's already got Shaone Morrisonn beat, so there's that :laugh:
shaone morrisonn is a good example about grading kid dmen though... I was still dabbling at being one of the hf rankers in those days... me and shane had the dubious honor of putting together a top 20 list for the bruins... and then I was supposed to participate in the forums top 50 list league wide

shaone was so against morrisonn. I kept arguing that I felt he would be a regular nhl player. he ended up a 480 game career... regular for 6 years... thats better than an average first round pick manages.

compare him to a guy like jeff jillson from that same era... and jillson was getting more love from the prospect experts. but shaone had the much better career.

another guy from that era was Nicholas boyton… I went to war to get him into the top 50 list but I was just totally ignored. guys like alexander svitov and stanslav chistov were getting support from everyone for the top 5... there was some Russian dman that never played a game... he was in the top 20...

I promised boyton would play as a top pair dman for a number of years... but no love

Boynton eventually got his career derailed by health issues I guess... hes pretty unhappy with the bruin organization and how they handled him... but he was actually pretty good and trending upwards for a few years there

playing defense for your first 3-4 years is tough to judge. a common rule of thumb is try not to judge your dmen until they get a minimum 200 games under their belt

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Think people look too much at his zero goals column. Chucky's been outstanding defensively all year and is taking charge offensively lately too. Just needs to put that first goal away.

Last night McAvoy had an 5A5 corsi of 66.67% which was well above any defenseman on ice either side. Sure he fanned on that shot but how the heck did he get back so quickly. Every game he faces the top players of opponents. Every game he's over 22 minutes ice time. Great player.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
He is a real good dman. His offense isnt there yet. I am torn as to his role on the PP and other stat influencers that lead me there. At this point he doesn't seem to exude offense talent, but man he is a heck of a transition D. Glad the Bs have him.

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005
He is a real good dman. His offense isnt there yet. I am torn as to his role on the PP and other stat influencers that lead me there. At this point he doesn't seem to exude offense talent, but man he is a heck of a transition D. Glad the Bs have him.

IMO, I dont think he ever will. I am not looking for debates on this so plz dont.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Could be partly because he's d-partner is Chara. Lets be honest, Chara isn't the hardest guy to skate past and if I was McAvoy I'd be less likely to take offensive risk. My first job is to protect the house and potentially leaving my d-partner out to dry (and my goalie) does the opposite. I forgot who had the stats, but IIRC they showed McAvoy had more offense generation away from Chara and while playing with guys like Grz.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
IMO, I dont think he ever will. I am not looking for debates on this so plz dont.

I think he has some offensive upside to him. In a full season his P/GP prior to this year put him around 42pts. His offense has been better, he has 10pts in his last 19 games. If you wanted to split the season in half.

1st Half GP - 23GP / 0G / 7A / .30 Pgp
2nd Half GP - 23GP / 0G / 10A / .43 Pgp

Right now he's on pace for 29pts, but I still think we see a bit of offensive up swing now that he's getting more opportunities away from Chara.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'm boggled at what people consider offensive talent for a defenseman and how they can watch McAvoy and actually say they don't think he "exudes it" or ever will or whatever other nonsense I have read here in regards to McAvoy and his offensive game.

How can you talk about a who defenseman produces at basically a 0.50 PPG for his career and think you'll be taken seriously?

Reactions: Kovi

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Charlie is having an atrocious season shooting the puck to the point it's just plain bizarre. I've probably railed against Charlie's many brain farts since he has been here as much as anyone, but it has to be recognized what a stud d-man this kid is becoming. He is correcting some of his weak spots in positioning and decision making. He is already excellent in most respects when playing in his own zone. The kid just turned 22 last month. I hope he stays healthy over the next few years because if he does he is going to be something special. Having young D like Charlie and Carlo is one of the biggest strengths of the Bs.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
I’m not quite sure those heavily criticizing McAvoy realize how absolutely abysmal this hockey team would be without him.
Your saying Charlie is this teams most valuable player? IMO Carlo has been the more reliable steady dman, easily as good or better on d in most scenarios, with pretty well the same offensive production. I see growth in Carlo game and I am just not seeing much in Charlie’s these days. Guess the expectations on Mcavoy are too high...but I certainly think no Bergeron, Pasta, Marchand, Rask, would have way more effect on this team than no Mcavoy. Don’t get me wrong, I have high hopes for the kid, but I’m certainly not sold that he is a 7.5 M dollar dman at the time his contract expires, and certainly is not now.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Like Charlie but that guy should not be on the ice with goalie pulled. We need a goal not the goy to help get one. We have much better options

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Your saying Charlie is this teams most valuable player? IMO Carlo has been the more reliable steady dman, easily as good or better on d in most scenarios, with pretty well the same offensive production. I see growth in Carlo game and I am just not seeing much in Charlie’s these days. Guess the expectations on Mcavoy are too high...but I certainly think no Bergeron, Pasta, Marchand, Rask, would have way more effect on this team than no Mcavoy. Don’t get me wrong, I have high hopes for the kid, but I’m certainly not sold that he is a 7.5 M dollar dman at the time his contract expires, and certainly is not now.
Carlo is one of the best defensive d men in league so trying to compare McAvoy to that is tough.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I’m not quite sure those heavily criticizing McAvoy realize how absolutely abysmal this hockey team would be without him.

it can be both. He’s a phenomenal player that is capable of a lot more than we’ve seen. That’s where i stand. Defensively he’s been way better than i anticipated and is eating hard minutes at an incredible rate

the offense falling off a cliff is officially concerning

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
If you wanna sell him you sell high. He has super value right now and probably can flip him for a marner type. I wouldn't but something to think about .

Can you please post these (I have no idea how to categorize them) in some sort of a fantasy thread somewhere or start one?

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
McAvoy this season is the most disappointing season I've seen from a Bruin relative to expectation in recent memory. I haven't "given up" on him by any means, but WTF, he's a shell of what he was his first 2 years.
He needs to get a different stick because that one can't make passes or hit the net! Hell half the time he doesn't even hit the puck when attempting a shot or pass. I will say this if , I were building a team Mc Avoy, Carlo, and Krug would be the only Bruin D that I would even consider!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad