Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
not trying to make excuses for what was a rough game for him last night but in his defense I'll say that I think this guy gets run more than any D we have (yes even more than Krug or Grizz) and I think so far he has done an admirable job taking it in stride and hitting back when the opportunity arises, but there's only so much guy can take.

I think maybe he's "hearing footsteps" when he goes back for pucks now and it's affecting his play. Last night Hornqvist took another huge run at him (that I'd have to see a reply of but watching live it looked like he came a long way so maybe a charge?). McAvoy shook off the hit, but then later I think on the Rust goal, McAvoy was going back for the puck & could have made a routine chip behind the net to Chara but had Malkin bearing down on him for a huge hit so Mac instead flubbed a back pass to Kuraly in the slot and it ended up on the Pittsburgh player's stick. No way to know what a player is thinking but as a view it looked like he felt the pressure and big hit coming and panicked.

I'm not bringing this up to excuse or pick on McAvoy, but it's an element at play here IMO. The guy is playing a lot of minutes and is really physical and teams have taken notice. Hornqvist really seems to have it out for him because he has already headshotted him once and is still charging him in 2020. Hopefully as Mac matures he can develop some of the elusiveness that guys like Krug and Marchand have. For example, if Mac had pulled up & corralled the puck and ducked under Malkin's high hit there then it would have had a whole other outcome and probably one that favors the Bruins.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm not bringing this up to excuse or pick on McAvoy, but it's an element at play here IMO. The guy is playing a lot of minutes and is really physical and teams have taken notice. Hornqvist really seems to have it out for him because he has already headshotted him once and is still charging him in 2020. Hopefully as Mac matures he can develop some of the elusiveness that guys like Krug and Marchand have. For example, if Mac had pulled up & corralled the puck and ducked under Malkin's high hit there then it would have had a whole other outcome and probably one that favors the Bruins.

His response, one of my favorite Mac moments.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
McAvoy this season is the most disappointing season I've seen from a Bruin relative to expectation in recent memory. I haven't "given up" on him by any means, but WTF, he's a shell of what he was his first 2 years.

Don't agree. I think he had a rough start to the season and really wasn't playing well. But the last 15-20 games I think his play has improved immensely, apart from the poor game against Pittsburgh. Goals aren't there, but I think that has more to do with his complete unwillingness to use his shot earlier in the season.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Don't agree. I think he had a rough start to the season and really wasn't playing well. But the last 15-20 games I think his play has improved immensely, apart from the poor game against Pittsburgh. Goals aren't there, but I think that has more to do with his complete unwillingness to use his shot earlier in the season.
Agree with this. He looked like ass early in the season. He was making low IQ decisions and looked as if he had forgotten how to play D at times. A few weeks ago he pulled things together and has made very few low IQ mistakes relative to the minutes he plays. I also think he has taken more weight onto his shoulders and put more pressure on himself. My frustration concerning Charlie has diminished as the season has worn on. The lack of goals continues to be bizarre. McAvoy has a decent shot. Hoping he is saving his goals for the playoffs. I am higher on Charlie now than I have been at any point in his tenure with the Bs. It's awesome to watch Charlie evolve defensively.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The lack of goals continues to be bizarre. McAvoy has a decent shot. Hoping he is saving his goals for the playoffs. I am higher on Charlie now than I have been at any point in his tenure with the Bs. It's awesome to watch Charlie evolve defensively.

It's got to whenever he shoots, I just say "sooner or later one of those is going to go in." He gets a lot of good shots off. It isn't like he's taking Brandon Carlo style softies into the goalies chest. It quite astonishing that he HASN'T scored a few already.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I’m getting SICK and ****ING TIRED of the constant physical abuse this kid is taking. He seems to be targeted regularly. Unbelievable

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I’m getting SICK and ****ING TIRED of the constant physical abuse this kid is taking. He seems to be targeted regularly. Unbelievable

Part of it is on McAvoy. He plays a physical style of game and has no fear of going for pucks full tilt when it's along the boards, even if it puts himself in a vulnerable situation. The other part is obviously players taking advantage of him when he's in those positions.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
He needs better spacial awareness out there and he needs to stop putting himself in vulnerable positions.

He also needs to feed someone that takes liberties when he's vulnerable instead of looking like a victimized, mouth agape, little dope after every dangerous hit
i agree. even the oshie hit couldve been avoided. he goes into the walls a little wreckless.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
His game changes when he gets roughed up. Yes, he likes to hit, but he doesn’t like getting hit. It would have been worse had Chara not been his linemate these past seasons.

He’s a skilled player, logs a lot of minutes. How are you going to get him off his game?

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
His game changes when he gets roughed up. Yes, he likes to hit, but he doesn’t like getting hit. It would have been worse had Chara not been his linemate these past seasons.

He’s a skilled player, logs a lot of minutes. How are you going to get him off his game?

I hear what you’re saying but I actually think it’d be easier with a partner more mobile then Chara. As someone above stated he often has to retrieve pucks in both corners due to Charas lack of mobility giving him about twice the opportunities to get unloaded on. I mean also it’s not like X is out there protecting him in anyway imo

Reactions: barstool

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

He leads the team D in hits and blocked shots; he has no problems getting hit and that's the problem. He needs to be better at defending his body when he goes for the puck.

Reactions: TCB

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Playing with Chara, McAvoy is going to be hit a lot he has to retrieve in both corners
Listening to Hockey Show today. Finally somebody seeing what I’ve been harping all season. Get Big Mac away from Chara!!! He doesn’t play his game with Z. He has to cover and reverts to Z too much. He needs to be the leader of the duo. He needs to play his high chance game if that makes sense. It gets him into the game. If he gets burned , so be it. It’s like Pasternak type deal. The good outways the bad. He’s being held back IMO.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He needs to figure it out and make some guys think twice about targeting him.

agreed, don`t want him dropping the mitts game in and out but he`s got the size to look after himself. I look at a guy like Doughty, isn`t known as a guy who goes looking for it but more than takes matters into his own hands if he feels he`s being targeted

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Listening to Hockey Show today. Finally somebody seeing what I’ve been harping all season. Get Big Mac away from Chara!!! He doesn’t play his game with Z. He has to cover and reverts to Z too much. He needs to be the leader of the duo. He needs to play his high chance game if that makes sense. It gets him into the game. If he gets burned , so be it. It’s like Pasternak type deal. The good outways the bad. He’s being held back IMO.
i think most people on here want mac and grizz as a pair. and chara carlo as the shutdown pair.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I 100% agree. He thinks too much with Chara. He plays his best when he thinks less and relies more on his instincts.

Reactions: chizzler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad