Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I think we all had concerns last year...was he going to perform without Chara, can he handle being the number 1 dman, can he be a leader.

Kid did everything and more.

Happy he's locked in!

Reactions: inactive user

BBBruins

Apr 24, 2017
I don’t have a problem with the contract, but I’m a little surprised by the price. I expected the price to settle between the Heiskanen (8.45M) and Makar (9M). But really worth every penny! The only important thing is that he will stay in Boston.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I'm so excited about this extension.

Nervous about the cap for next season, but excited for the future.

$9.5 is definitely fair for Mac. We didn't get the discount Sweeney normally gets, but I'm also happy we're willing to give fair market value to keep our top stars around.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
He's the best, most valuable and most important player on the team. Any number for 8 years is a steal.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I don’t have a problem with the contract, but I’m a little surprised by the price. I expected the price to settle between the Heiskanen (8.45M) and Makar (9M). But really worth every penny! The only important thing is that he will stay in Boston.

IMO, asking price was always going to be over Makar...this deal takes him well into FA and let's be honest, Maker is insanely gifted as an offensive dman...but he cant play defense at the same level of McAvoy.

We can all see McAvoy being in the Norris discussion for a verrrrry long time.

Orr
Bourque
Chara

McAvoy

We've been blessed with elite dmen!

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Glad to seem him locked in for this year and 8 more. Happy there's no drama. Still lots of upside in his game.

Hopefully he can win a Norris beside Forbort like Doughty did.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Its a lot of dough, but I guess those are the going rates these days. . .

Cant believe they missed the chance at giving #73 $73,000,000/8years

Reactions: BTO

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Couple notes here:

First off, congrats to McAvoy on getting the bag.

This deal is absolutely in the team-friendly category despite the $9.5m commitment. There's not a single other defender in the NHL I would want as my No. 1 other than McAvoy himself. He signed a three-year bridge worth $4.9m in 2019 so his next deal would always reflect that.

Seth Jones just signed the same exact deal in Chicago after being acquired and he's half the defenseman that McAvoy is.

This guy is only 23 and still probably a couple years away from entering his actual prime– which of course, the deal will cover through its in entirety.

Boston now has eight years (!!!) to worry about retaining McAvoy at the conclusion of the deal. Signing this extension is as much about security for Boston as it is for McAvoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad