Player Discussion Charlie Lindgren

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Isles fan coming in peace.

With Halaks contract expiring and Greiss another year above 30, the islanders could use a young goalie with starting potential.

I Price isn’t going anywhere snd when he’s healthy he’s one of the best in the world. Lindgren looks like he could be the next goalie that could become legit starter like Schneider and Jones were. Right now he’s young and cheap and if l were MTL I’d want to keep him for insurance. That being said, if MTL were willing to move him what are some of the team needs?

Also, what’s up with Fucale? He’s been a real disappointment it seems.
Tavares or Barzal. We can add if we need to :sarcasm:

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Lindgren is good, but goalies that catch with their right hand, almost never work out (with the exception of Fuhr, who had like the best offense in history in front of him).

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Despite getting scored 5 goals I love how Lingren is still on his game.

Love this goalie.

I agree, that was one of the best 5 goals against goalie performances I can recall. We got 80s hockey for one night and it was fun. Obviously, would have been exponentially more fun had we won, but you know what, i'll take a crazy game now and then over a sterile 2-0 win.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
All jokes aside, Galchenyuk is so talented. Is he really that bad at center or just not given enough opportunities?

We have needed a centre for like 20 years now. We got a top 3 pick and there was a shiny new blue chip centre right there for the taking. Then the "brain trust" decided to go with Desharnais instead and roll the dice on ruining our best prospect. You can't make this kinda stupidity up because no one would believe it. He wasn't given the opportunity no matter how you look at it but people will just say "hurr duur it's the players fault". I think Galchenyuk had the wrong last name to be the 1st line centre.

Reactions: SI90

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
We have needed a centre for like 20 years now. We got a top 3 pick and there was a shiny new blue chip centre right there for the taking. Then the "brain trust" decided to go with Desharnais instead and roll the dice on ruining our best prospect. You can't make this kinda stupidity up because no one would believe it. He wasn't given the opportunity no matter how you look at it but people will just say "hurr duur it's the players fault". I think Galchenyuk had the wrong last name to be the 1st line centre.

It's sad we want a Quebec born 1st line Center so badly we not only prop up the Desharnais/Danault's of the world, but try to turn a great winger in Drouin into a Center...It's absolutely ridiculous and will never lead to anything resembling success.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

He was given the opportunity, scored 30 when he was. Had a very strong start the following season until an injury. He’s been battling to get back at the position since then while Drouin, a local boy is set there by default regardless of flaws.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Tony Esposito and Jose Theodore did ok

Theodore had a good peak, but it couldn't be sustained. Esposito was good too, forgot about him. But realistically, it's twice as hard to succeed, especially in comparison to all the left handed goalies. Majority of players shot left, so ideally, goalie should catch left.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lindgren is good, but goalies that catch with their right hand, almost never work out (with the exception of Fuhr, who had like the best offense in history in front of him).

That's a strange tendency. Is it on account of most people behind right handed and a right handed goalie would tend to hold his stick with his weaker hand? If that was the case, it can't possibly apply anymore given the super lightweight materials being used for sticks now.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
That's a strange tendency. Is it on account of most people behind right handed and a right handed goalie would tend to hold his stick with his weaker hand? If that was the case, it can't possibly apply anymore given the super lightweight materials being used for sticks now.

I know its weird but some people do learn to do it with the left hand.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017

Right handed catchers/goalies are usually left handed people, and vice versa. Because the majority of people are right handed, they end up shooting left and catching with their left. Ideally, if most people shoot left, you'd want your goalie to catch with his life, simple percentage.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Right handed catchers/goalies are usually left handed people, and vice versa. Because the majority of people are right handed, they end up shooting left and catching with their left. Ideally, if most people shoot left, you'd want your goalie to catch with his life, simple percentage.

When I played goalie, I'm right handed but also shot right. I assumed that it was the norm. I didn't know that righties tended to shoot left.

So, if you're right handed and you shoot right, there should be no disadvantage, if I read you correctly.

If the above holds, then Lindgren won't be impacted by being a righty:

Charlie Lindgren:

Goalie -- shoots R

Born Dec 18 1993 -- Lakeville, MN
[23 yrs. ago]
Height 6.01 -- Weight 182 [185 cm/83 kg]

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think its due to just not being that common. (goalies catching right hand). Its kind of weird that more don't, all goalies who are right handed shooters should catch right but I think most use the baseball guide where if you throw with your right you catch with your left.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It's sad we want a Quebec born 1st line Center so badly we not only prop up the Desharnais/Danault's of the world, but try to turn a great winger in Drouin into a Center...It's absolutely ridiculous and will never lead to anything resembling success.

The reason we traded Sergachev for Drouin is because Drouin is a French Quebecer. But that doesn't mean we're playing him at center because he's french. At least I never thought of it that way. Chucky was drafted to be a center. I think they just don't see him as a center.

I would like to see him given a shot, especially if we're clearly out of the playoffs later in the season. I could see management not even giving him a shot then.

... and I could see Chucky doing so well that he ruins our tank job ... like he almost did the year we drafted Sergachev. Except we have Timmins, who's smarter than the other scouts who drafting ahead of us, so we were still able to get one of the top 3 players in the draft.

Last edited:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
He would make an excellent backup

Maybe first goalie elsewhere

I see holes in his game

Carey isn’t to blame , nhl shots are hard to block

If you face 3-5 quality shots a game they are in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad