Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
coyles doing ok now... is it anything he hasnt done his ENTIRE CAREER?

I mean its not like hes wayne gretzky out there. hes a very good 3rd line center which is exactly what we expected when we traded for him

it was uncool he had his worst streak in his entire career for scoring as we traded for him and after... but it was a once in a career streak

this is a 40-50 point guy in an average typical season... average and typical

hes always been considered an underachiever... 40-50 points is considered under achieving

his talent is good enough for more

so will we see more? thats what I hope for... it hasnt happened yet... but at least hes appearing back to his normal career average we all should have known

this isnt a 18 year old rookie we traded for

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Great for Charlie he has played well. Awful for the Bruins when Charlie Coyle is your best forward. Rest of the team needs to show up like he has.

Reactions: LouJersey

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
coyles doing ok now... is it anything he hasnt done his ENTIRE CAREER?

I mean its not like hes wayne gretzky out there. hes a very good 3rd line center which is exactly what we expected when we traded for him

it was uncool he had his worst streak in his entire career for scoring as we traded for him and after... but it was a once in a career streak

this is a 40-50 point guy in an average typical season... average and typical

hes always been considered an underachiever... 40-50 points is considered under achieving

his talent is good enough for more

so will we see more? thats what I hope for... it hasnt happened yet... but at least hes appearing back to his normal career average we all should have known

this isnt a 18 year old rookie we traded for

Whats the point of this post? The Kid is doing what he was brought here for, to add depth and perform in the playoffs. Unfortunately the top line decided to suck at the wrong time of year.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Whats the point of this post? The Kid is doing what he was brought here for, to add depth and perform in the playoffs. Unfortunately the top line decided to suck at the wrong time of year.

I guess my point is... just because some fans had no clue how coyle played his entire career doesnt make it magical now that he is playing that way for us

people are saying... glad hes proving me wrong... like it was ever in doubt that he would... or like somehow their skeptical reaction to the trade had some sort of justification in the first place

I wish these fans were saying... maybe next time I will trust the team a bit more and not think my own opinion formed after 5-10 games on a 26 year player with 400 career games is more valid then the teams professional scouting department

coyle was already a 40-50 point guy his whole career when we traded for him.... but he was also considered an underachiever. someone said, if he becomes a 3rd liner thats a success.

I said no thats a given... what is a 'success' is if he responds well to being on his home team with better leadership and a playoff run and becomes a good top 6 player.

I was pretty much the only one that said we want this guy to become a top impact player... so now who knows... consistentcy was always his achilli heels. hes had 2-3 good games before in Minnesota. im not about to say hes turned his corner now and will be some sort of stud for us.

but for those fans who are shocked hes able to play like this... why didnt you pay attention to his career? this is why we got him. this is what we were wanting.

so thats my point... just because some fans were ignorant about him, doesnt make what he is doing now some shock. he did this a lot of times during his career and he will likely do it some more times in the future for us. get used to it. its pretty nice

Reactions: NoregreB

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Literally the last player I expected to be their best player through 3 games. His game just seemed so underwhelming during the regular season, but he's clearly upped it a notch in the playoffs.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I would love for the Bruins to find a guy that can play physical on his wing for him to play with. I appreciate Backes and what he brings to the team's chemistry as a veteran leader, but his on-ice performance is too up and down at this stage in his career.

Ferlund -- Coyle -- Heinen

I think that third line has a lot of potential but I don't know how the Bruins feel about making another UFA splash for a physical winger after Beleskey failed and Backes hasn't been exactly what they hoped for.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
im suggesting again... we see coyle switch to wing next year because our prospect centers are needing a chance to play. having an experience center on the wing when you break a kid in is a good thing

coyle/federic/Heinen
coyle/karlsson/Heinen
or
coyle/studnicka/Heinen

I know kuhlman is a center from college... but dont see him winning this spot... I might be wrong

we are deep... but its time to break a kid in here

outside chance Heinen plays top 6 and Bjork might factor into line 3

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
we quite possibly would have just got done watching the Bruins get swept tonight if they hadn't traded for Coyle at the deadline.

Man I was a little worried this was gonna be another trade that we'd never hear the end of when Donato had his run in Minny & Coyle didn't do much in the regular season, but holy shit Coyle has been a beast in this series.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
we quite possibly would have just got done watching the Bruins get swept tonight if they hadn't traded for Coyle at the deadline.

Man I was a little worried this was gonna be another trade that we'd never hear the end of when Donato had his run in Minny & Coyle didn't do much in the regular season, but holy **** Coyle has been a beast in this series.

Very nice pass to McAvoy on the PP

Wished he buried that in close chance. Use a headfake and shoot it fivehole. Nice try though

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
So far he is my series MVP- he's been outstanding in all 3 zones and his line has been very active. When this season ends if I'm GM I start working on an extension.

He has surprised me friend, likely because the few viewings I`ve had of his game with the Wild over the years he never really stood out. I thought he would stabilize the 3rd line which he has, what I didn`t expect was how complete his game was/is in all 3 zones and man is he strong, can`t recall a time where he`s been pushed off the puck?

Reactions: BMC

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I hope people aren't gonna use his current playoff form and try to say he has been great since he got here. A very pedestrian/underwhelming regular season with the Bruins--which is what I expected. But if he wants to save his best play for the playoffs, perfectly fine by me. Keep up the good work.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I hope people aren't gonna use his current playoff form and try to say he has been great since he got here. A very pedestrian/underwhelming regular season with the Bruins--which is what I expected. But if he wants to save his best play for the playoffs, perfectly fine by me. Keep up the good work.

Underwhelming, point wise. He was good during the regular season though. The points are now coming along with his play.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He's been great in the playoffs. Seems very similar to the Peverley/Wheeler trade where we maybe lose in the future, but if we make a deep run will probably look back at this trade as a big factor.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
He's been great in the playoffs. Seems very similar to the Peverley/Wheeler trade where we maybe lose in the future, but if we make a deep run will probably look back at this trade as a big factor.
Agreed. I think every Bruins fan is fine with the Wheeler trade because Peverly helped win a cup by being a top 6 C/W that mostly played depth until needed on the top line in the finals. If you win a cup, all the trades and signings, even bad or lopsided ones, are considered acceptable. It's the price you pay to win. Donato might go on to score 300+ goals in his NHL career but no one will complain if Coyle continues to play his role well and the Bruins win a cup this year.

Reactions: BMC

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I guess my point is... just because some fans had no clue how coyle played his entire career doesnt make it magical now that he is playing that way for us

people are saying... glad hes proving me wrong... like it was ever in doubt that he would... or like somehow their skeptical reaction to the trade had some sort of justification in the first place

I wish these fans were saying... maybe next time I will trust the team a bit more and not think my own opinion formed after 5-10 games on a 26 year player with 400 career games is more valid then the teams professional scouting department

coyle was already a 40-50 point guy his whole career when we traded for him.... but he was also considered an underachiever. someone said, if he becomes a 3rd liner thats a success.

I said no thats a given... what is a 'success' is if he responds well to being on his home team with better leadership and a playoff run and becomes a good top 6 player.

I was pretty much the only one that said we want this guy to become a top impact player... so now who knows... consistentcy was always his achilli heels. hes had 2-3 good games before in Minnesota. im not about to say hes turned his corner now and will be some sort of stud for us.

but for those fans who are shocked hes able to play like this... why didnt you pay attention to his career? this is why we got him. this is what we were wanting.

so thats my point... just because some fans were ignorant about him, doesnt make what he is doing now some shock. he did this a lot of times during his career and he will likely do it some more times in the future for us. get used to it. its pretty nice
Really? The guy has had one 56 and one 42 point seasons. People haven’t seen him play much and then have a opinion based on nothing. He averages 30 plus points per year. That is fact. He played up in the line up at times in Minnie but that’s not who he is. In his career he has been a VERY average third line center. In order to compete with the big boys we need a better guy in the 3 spot. And oh ya he has been good so far this playoffs. I hope he continues to play well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad