Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-round pick - 4th if B's make 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Speaking of pictures this one has a bit of a different meaning today than it did yesterday.

DYqqdwqX4AEhRIA.jpg
and only one of those players would go into the corners....

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I've been reading through this thread and so many people describe trading Donato as "giving up on the kid." Trades happen, and don't necessarily mean they "gave up" on anyone. he was a useful piece, who some team wanted for his potential, while the Bruins wanted someone more established, who could contribute now. Why does trading a player always mean the team has "given up" on that player. I don't get it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I've been reading through this thread and so many people describe trading Donato as "giving up on the kid." Trades happen, and don't necessarily mean they "gave up" on anyone. he was a useful piece, who some team wanted for his potential, while the Bruins wanted someone more established, who could contribute now. Why does trading a player always mean the team has "given up" on that player. I don't get it.

Well said. If Donato had seized his opportunity and ran with it, he would not have been dealt. He wasn't ready. He gets to go to a rebuilding team that can afford to take him on as a project and let him develop into the player he probably will become. Ryan Donato wasn't helping the Bruins this season, and maybe not next: he is't a top 6 wing at this point, nor is a 3C. It's a good deal for both teams.

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
It kills me that some people are in an uproar about Charlie Coyle. If it is indeed true that he was brought in to be the 3rd line center then I really don’t see the problem. I mean what superstar Centers are playing on the third line? If they were indeed Superstars, they’d be on the top line.

So looking around the league, here’s what their 3rd line centers look like.

Pittsburgh: Nick Bjugstad - 17 Points
Calgary: Mark Jankowski - 24 Points
Nashville: Nick Bonino - 27 Points
NYI: Valtteri Filppula - 23 Points
St. Louis: Oskar Sundqvist - 22 Points
Tampa: Anthony Cirelli - 24 points
Toronto: William Nylander - 12 points / 31 Games
Winnipeg: Adam Lowry - 15 Points
Washington: Lars Eller - 24 Points
Boston: Charlie Coyle - 28 points

Bottom line, 3rd line Centers aren’t meant to rip up the league offensively. It is more about the intangibles which if analysis is accurate, Charlie Coyle has.

Yes Coyle’s numbers are skewed because he’s played on the top 2 lines at certain periods this year. However if he can continue to produce at around the same pace, the Bruins will be in good shape comparing Coyle to the other 3rd liners around the league.

Bruins filled a hole and they should improve in doing this.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
How can you say they're not better with him when they added him to the lineup without giving up anything off of it? Have you watched this year? The third line is trash. He upgrades it.
Totally agree 3rd line was the worst i saw in 40 years and yes i admit, he make it a bit better....but not enought to make an impact to this team...he is still a marginal player

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
It kills me that some people are in an uproar about Charlie Coyle. If it is indeed true that he was brought in to be the 3rd line center then I really don’t see the problem. I mean what superstar Centers are playing on the third line? If they were indeed Superstars, they’d be on the top line.

Bottom line, 3rd line Centers aren’t meant to rip up the league offensively. It is more about the intangibles which if analysis is accurate, Charlie Coyle has.

Yes Coyle’s numbers are skewed because he’s played on the top 2 lines at certain periods this year. However if he can continue to produce at around the same pace, the Bruins will be in good shape comparing Coyle to the other 3rd liners around the league.

Kadri has 35 points, is the Leafs #3 C, Nylander plays the wing.
Jumbo Joe has 34 points.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012

Pretty much the kind of stats I thought I'd see from other third line centers. I don't think anybody expected a 50-60 point kind of third liner - that's just ridiculous. This guy is what he is; he's a stabilizing force for the third line. Coyle is not a tantalizing, dazzling goal scorer or nasty, vicious power forward. He's a a guy who can make guys like Nordstrom or Backes move off of the third line, if possible. And I say that with no disrespect to those two, but at this point, the bottom depth needing shoring up, and Coyle is a solid answer to that.

He won't be the savior of this team. He'll be a guy that helps take pressure off of that top line to do more than they have to. I fail to see why this is such a big deal. Sweeney went out and got a deal done that didn't kill this team, and didn't break the bank. We ought to be thankful he's gotten that much done, considering a few weeks ago it certainly looked like he could stand pat or just swing for someone like Stone and nobody else

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Great breakdown with numbers to prove it.

Solid trade that upgraded a position

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Patrick Eaves just came off the injured list, could be a cheap addition? You could probably get him for 4th or 5th round pick?
I was amazed to see he has scored 58 goals in his last 189 games, that works out to a 25 goal scorer in 82 games.
Thoughts?

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
Kadri has 35 points, is the Leafs #3 C, Nylander plays the wing.
Jumbo Joe has 34 points.

Jumbo Joe not really a 3rd liner even at his age. Still plays a bigger role including centering the PP2 unit.

Kadri's stats are inflated by PP time when TOR was ripping it up at the beginning of the year.

True 3rd line Centers don't usually get all that much PP time. Tried to stick to the genuine 3rd liners with my list from some top teams.

Reactions: Strafer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad