Player Discussion Charlie Coyle #1 center predictions

Prediction: Charlie Coyle as the #1 center (#1 center meaning he gets to play with either 63 or 88)

• He will thrive as the 1c.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • He will be a serviceable #1c.

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • He's terrible (big minus player) but they keep him there because they don't have better options.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • He will be the 2c and not get to play with 63 or 88.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • He will be the 3c by Xmas if not sooner. Charlie Coyle is not a top6 C.

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Don’t understand why there is an assumption that he will be. I think Zacha has that based on his time playing with #88.
I'm assuming Coyle will be the #1c because he's the only returning center on the team, and Neely said that he expected next year's team to look like the team they iced for Games 3 & 4. Coyle was the #1 center in those two games.

I know the plan is to move Zacha to center and I have high hopes for that move, but that's still kind of an experiment. If it were me, I'd want to shelter Zacha a little bit as he adjusts to being a full time center. Coyle on the other hand, is used to playing against top lines as a center, he's used to a heavy defensive load as a center, he's better on face-offs... IMO he's the obvious choice to step into Bergeron's spot in the lineup between 63 & 74.

This is the lineup I expect to start the season with...

March - Coyle - DeBrusk
JVR - Zacha - Pastrnak
Boqvist - Geekie - Frederic
Lucic - Brown - Rookie
X: Greer

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Forbort - Shattenkirk
Zboril - Mitchell

Ullmark - Swayman

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
That's how I see it as well. They may try Marchand on a different line but for all intensive purposes, Zacha as C + Pasta on RW are your first line. They'll likely see all of Marchand, JVR, Lucic, Debrusk, and even others, at some point on LW. Kevin Stevens might get a look yet.

I don't even think Coyle is locked into the 2nd center job. I think when it's all said and done, Morgan Geekie will be centering what people consider "the 2nd line" or the scoring line with pile of offensive zone starts but comparatively little in the defensive zone.
What will they do when the purposes aren’t intensive?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I don't see Coyle as the Number one center leaving camp and I think Monty will put his eggs all in one basket and go with Marchand and Pasta on Zacha's wing. Coyle with Debrusk and JVR, Geekie centering Frederic and Boqvist, and Brown centering Looch and McGlaughlin. All subject to change shift to shift, game to game.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I love Coyle in is role. He is not a #2C. That was clear 2 seasons ago when Eric Haula (I believe) was promoted to the 2C role and Coyle went back to 3C. I am always fearful of "Bobby Holik" syndrome where a successful 3C is promoted to a role that he is not qualified for.

With the B's cap situation, $5,5m is a luxury for a 3C, but I don't see any other options and would prefer to keep Coyle where he is. Minus Taylor Hall, I think his production goes down a bit, maybe 13/27/40

Reactions: Blowfish and LSCII

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I don't know that Geekie is a top 6C, but it would be pretty big for the team if he could just fill a role in between Marchand and Debrusk and maybe pot 40 to 50 points while he's at it.
Geekie at $2M per was a very good addition because he has been a 4th line center who with opportunity will likely be a good 3rd line player. After watching him a lot last season I feel that the idea that he is a top-6 center is expecting something that Geekie is not at this point in his career. Big difference in looking good playing 10 mins a game vs playing top-6 mins against better competition. It would be manna from the heavens if Geekie shocks the world and immediately becomes an effective top-6 C. Never say never, I guess.

As for the main point of the thread, I very much hope management can find a way to bring Lindholm into the fold via trade or Krejci surprises everyone and comes back another season. I'll leave it at that.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Geekie at $2M per was a very good addition because he has been a 4th line center who with opportunity will likely be a good 3rd line player. After watching him a lot last season I feel that the idea that he is a top-6 center is expecting something that Geekie is not at this point in his career. Big difference in looking good playing 10 mins a game vs playing top-6 mins against better competition. It would be manna from the heavens if Geekie shocks the world and immediately becomes an effective top-6 C. Never say never, I guess.

As for the main point of the thread, I very much hope management can find a way to bring Lindholm into the fold via trade or Krejci surprises everyone and comes back another season. I'll leave it at that.
It is strange nothing final regarding Krejci...Take him back in a heartbeat.

Dam you injuries to key players this playoffs. The team was way too good to not win the cup!

Reactions: missingchicklet

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Lots of size among our current crop of centers. Zacha, Geekie, Coyle, and Frederic are all 6'3. Brown is a thick dude at 6'1 210.

Reactions: Blowfish

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
If I had to pick one, I'd say he's 2C. They probably split up Marchand and Pastrnak because neither Coyle nor DeBrusk are capable of being the best player on a top 6 line.

They'll go with this, and then figure out the least bad option to play with Zacha and Pastrnak.

XXXXX-Zacha-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle-DeBrusk

Coyle won't be especially bad at 2C, but he won't be good either. He won't get dropped down to 3C because no one's good enough to replace him.

Reactions: Guelph Bruin

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
If I had to pick one, I'd say he's 2C. They probably split up Marchand and Pastrnak because neither Coyle nor DeBrusk are capable of being the best player on a top 6 line.

They'll go with this, and then figure out the least bad option to play with Zacha and Pastrnak.

XXXXX-Zacha-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle-DeBrusk

Coyle won't be especially bad at 2C, but he won't be good either. He won't get dropped down to 3C because no one's good enough to replace him.
I think Boquist could be the XXXXX ..familiarity with Zacha and he can skate

Reactions: DKH

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Anyway of removing them smelly leaf fans from voting?

My oh my did anyone have a chance to read the mainboard. So entertaining.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Anyway of removing them smelly leaf fans from voting?

My oh my did anyone have a chance to read the mainboard. So entertaining.

Can’t wait till 7.th seed Bruins open up in Toronto against a fragile fan base

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I didn't like any of the poll choices.
Coyle is a decent defensive / puck protecting center, but he is not a playmaking center. Coyle is a center where wingers point production goes to die, especially if it's give and go zone entry offense. Such as the way he was used last time as a #2C before two seasons ago when it was center by committee.
However, with that said, he does have a decent shot. Go old school with Coyle and have him set up in the slot Esposito style with wingers feeding him the puck and he could potentially pot 30 goals.
But he is not a creative playmaking center making something out of nothing off the rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad