Player Discussion Charlie Coyle #1 center predictions

Prediction: Charlie Coyle as the #1 center (#1 center meaning he gets to play with either 63 or 88)

• He will thrive as the 1c.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • He will be a serviceable #1c.

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • He's terrible (big minus player) but they keep him there because they don't have better options.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • He will be the 2c and not get to play with 63 or 88.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • He will be the 3c by Xmas if not sooner. Charlie Coyle is not a top6 C.

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
So Tage Thompson had 94 pts - 54 of which were on the PP and was a whopping +4. If at the end of the year Coyle is a +4, regardless of points, I think we're in trouble.

i know + - isn't the be all to end all, but if Coyle can be shut-down defender and Zacha-Pasta light it up, then Coyle has more than done his job.

Again I see Zacha and Coyle as 2A/B's.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'm re-posting the following article as a reminder Coyle can be dominant. Especially when it matters most. We all watched and were impressed. I loved that game. Monty changed things thereafter and here we are.

Who the heck knows what the roster will look like come October but if status quo? I see March Coyle Debrusk

----------------

Charlie Coyle’s ‘monster’ performance made life miserable for the Panthers in Game 3

"When he puts his body into guys, there's not anybody in the league that can defend him."

SUNRISE, Fla. — An Aleksander Barkov shift is often where opposing scoring chances go to die down in South Florida.
The Florida Panthers’ captain is the complete package as a two-way anchor down the middle. Equipped with a sharp hockey IQ, active stick, and a 6-foot-3, 215-pound frame, the 2021 Selke Award winner is a matchup nightmare for most rival skaters.

Of course, Charlie Coyle isn’t built like most skaters.

The Weymouth product’s game may not be cut from the same cloth as a bruising power forward like Tom Wilson or Josh Anderson.

But Coyle — clocking in at 6-foot-3 and 223 pounds — doesn’t need to impact games by way of bone-crunching checks. Not when he’s sapping the energy and will of opponents on draining O-zone shifts.
Count Barkov as the latest in a long line of foes left sucking wind and shaking their head following a net-front battle with Boston’s homegrown pivot.
Coyle’s tip tally off a Brad Marchand wrister during Friday’s Game 3 victory over the Panthers was a testament to the 31-year-old forward’s hand-eye talents.
But it was Coyle’s tug-of-war in the crease with Barkov in the seconds leading up to that goal that drew most of the praise in Boston’s dressing room.

“He’s just a man. It’s a weird compliment, but it is,” Nick Foligno said of the issues Coyle’s frame presents to opponents. “He’s a beast. He’s so lanky and long, but also strong. When he puts his body into a puck or into another body, you’re not getting it. He really drives our team that way, when he plays like that.”

The Bruins needed a play driver down in the middle on Friday, given the absence of both Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci as the team’s potent 1-2 punch at the pivot position.

Coyle may not have the playmaking poise of a Krejci, nor the two-way mastery that Bergeron wields on every shift. But when every inch of Grade-A ice is shored up come the postseason, having a human battering ram like Coyle tends to come in handy.

“He just seemed like he was a monster,” Jim Montgomery said of Coyle following Boston’s 4-2 victory at FLA Live Arena. “He was a man possessed out there with the way he just took pucks to the net.”

Fighting inside stood as one of Montgomery’s primary mandates after his skaters failed to pepper Alex Lyon with high-danger looks in a lopsided Game 2 loss.

On Friday night, the Bruins generated 10 high-danger scoring chances at 5v5 play. Coyle accounted for six of those quality looks in and around the paint.

“That’s just playoffs,” Foligno said of bringing pucks down low. “Look at [Florida], they’re trying to get to the inside. That’s just that’s where things happen. That’s where you’re gonna have success — whether in your end or on their end.”

Coyle’s ability to wear down teams by way of his patented game of “keep-away” translates down the other end of the frozen sheet.

Whether it be trying to knock the biscuit loose off an O-zone board battle or hem him along the end boards in Boston’s own end, most fruitless shifts against Coyle often end in the same result.
Those taxing seconds spent trying to corral a horse like Coyle siphon whatever spark is stored in one’s legs. Over a seven-game series, Coyle exacts a heavy toll.

“When he puts his body into guys, there’s not anybody in the league that can defend him,” Foligno said of Coyle. “We’re privileged to have him on the team. A guy that’s a big-minute player for us and he really stepped up tonight for us.”

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Don’t understand why there is an assumption that he will be. I think Zacha has that based on his time playing with #88.

Reactions: TCB

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
midnight-staley-pain.gif

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm re-posting the following article as a reminder Coyle can be dominant. Especially when it matters most. We all watched and were impressed. I loved that game. Monty changed things thereafter and here we are.

Who the heck knows what the roster will look like come October but if status quo? I see March Coyle Debrusk

----------------

Charlie Coyle’s ‘monster’ performance made life miserable for the Panthers in Game 3

"When he puts his body into guys, there's not anybody in the league that can defend him."

SUNRISE, Fla. — An Aleksander Barkov shift is often where opposing scoring chances go to die down in South Florida.
The Florida Panthers’ captain is the complete package as a two-way anchor down the middle. Equipped with a sharp hockey IQ, active stick, and a 6-foot-3, 215-pound frame, the 2021 Selke Award winner is a matchup nightmare for most rival skaters.

The Weymouth product’s game may not be cut from the same cloth as a bruising power forward like Tom Wilson or Josh Anderson.

But Coyle — clocking in at 6-foot-3 and 223 pounds — doesn’t need to impact games by way of bone-crunching checks. Not when he’s sapping the energy and will of opponents on draining O-zone shifts.
Count Barkov as the latest in a long line of foes left sucking wind and shaking their head following a net-front battle with Boston’s homegrown pivot.
Coyle’s tip tally off a Brad Marchand wrister during Friday’s Game 3 victory over the Panthers was a testament to the 31-year-old forward’s hand-eye talents.
But it was Coyle’s tug-of-war in the crease with Barkov in the seconds leading up to that goal that drew most of the praise in Boston’s dressing room.

“He’s just a man. It’s a weird compliment, but it is,” Nick Foligno said of the issues Coyle’s frame presents to opponents. “He’s a beast. He’s so lanky and long, but also strong. When he puts his body into a puck or into another body, you’re not getting it. He really drives our team that way, when he plays like that.”

The Bruins needed a play driver down in the middle on Friday, given the absence of both Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci as the team’s potent 1-2 punch at the pivot position.

Coyle may not have the playmaking poise of a Krejci, nor the two-way mastery that Bergeron wields on every shift. But when every inch of Grade-A ice is shored up come the postseason, having a human battering ram like Coyle tends to come in handy.

“He just seemed like he was a monster,” Jim Montgomery said of Coyle following Boston’s 4-2 victory at FLA Live Arena. “He was a man possessed out there with the way he just took pucks to the net.”

Fighting inside stood as one of Montgomery’s primary mandates after his skaters failed to pepper Alex Lyon with high-danger looks in a lopsided Game 2 loss.

On Friday night, the Bruins generated 10 high-danger scoring chances at 5v5 play. Coyle accounted for six of those quality looks in and around the paint.

“That’s just playoffs,” Foligno said of bringing pucks down low. “Look at [Florida], they’re trying to get to the inside. That’s just that’s where things happen. That’s where you’re gonna have success — whether in your end or on their end.”

Coyle’s ability to wear down teams by way of his patented game of “keep-away” translates down the other end of the frozen sheet.

Whether it be trying to knock the biscuit loose off an O-zone board battle or hem him along the end boards in Boston’s own end, most fruitless shifts against Coyle often end in the same result.
Those taxing seconds spent trying to corral a horse like Coyle siphon whatever spark is stored in one’s legs. Over a seven-game series, Coyle exacts a heavy toll.

“When he puts his body into guys, there’s not anybody in the league that can defend him,” Foligno said of Coyle. “We’re privileged to have him on the team. A guy that’s a big-minute player for us and he really stepped up tonight for us.”
Sure. But also good to know, in those first 4 games, the games that many are pointing to as "See, they can be fine with Coyle and Zacha as their top 2 Cs!!!!" Coyle was a minus player in 2 of those games, even in 1 and a +1 in the other. Look they won 3 out of 4 of those games, so he certainly didn't hurt them in anyway, but that was against a team that was starting their (at best) #3 G for the first couple of games, then threw in a guy who was considered to be toast as a goalie, and finally in game 4 they were without their best D and a top 6 C (yes the B's were without players as well).

As has been said here many times, small sample sizes are almost compltely useless. Ryan Poehling had a hat trick and a shootout winner in his NHL debut. Posting artcles about that game going into the next training camp wouldn't have had much predictive success.

Coyle is fine as a 3C, when there are a HOF C and a very good #2C in front of him. To think that without that sheltering he'll be fine over an extended period of time takes more blind faith than I can muster.

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
coyle baffles me.
i swear he has the skill to be a great center. hes not a good passer but man i swear heshould put up better numbers.
i think he just has to get pissed off. maybe the more he plays the more he gets fired up. his hands are elite.

Reactions: Blowfish

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Sure. But also good to know, in those first 4 games, the games that many are pointing to as "See, they can be fine with Coyle and Zacha as their top 2 Cs!!!!" Coyle was a minus player in both of those games. Look they won 3 out of 4 of those games, so he certainly didn't hurt them in anyway, but that was against a team that was starting their (at best) #3 G for the first couple of games, then threw in a guy who was considered to be toast as a goalie, and finally in game 4 they were without their best D and a top 6 C (yes the B's were without players as well).

As has been said here many times, small sample sizes are almost compltely useless. Ryan Poehling had a hat trick and a shootout winner in his NHL debut. Posting artcles about that game going into the next training camp wouldn't have had much predictive success.

Coyle is fine as a 3C, when there are a HOF C and a very good #2C in front of him. To think that without that sheltering he'll be fine over an extended period of time takes more blind faith than I can muster.
The biggest reason he's not in minnesota and is a bruin was his failure to consistantly play at a top 6 level. I don't see why that would suddenly change. He's played with talent before. Best case you're hoping for ryan hartman getting dragged a long by Kaprisov or Anisimov in Chicago with Panarin and Kane. That's not a 1c.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Nope, I think Geekie will pass him in the depth chart. Might not happen in October but if they give him decent wings in camp I could see it.
I don't know that Geekie is a top 6C, but it would be pretty big for the team if he could just fill a role in between Marchand and Debrusk and maybe pot 40 to 50 points while he's at it.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I would rather see Merkulov or Geekie get that opportunity at #2C because I think they have more potential playing in that role. Right now, I think Zacha is the only center on the team that is a lock at one of two top 6C positions so it will be interesting to see how things pan out at camp.​

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

----------------

He has that in him - if he could just bring it every night has been the refrain since he broke into the league

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
I’m thinking Sweeney gets a center for 1st line. Zacha & Coyle will play together on 2nd line with Debrusk. Coyle will get pp time & more offensive zones starts, so his stats will be around 60/65pts. Geekie will take over Coyle’s job on 3rd line & pk.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
I think Zacha starts off as the 1st line center, but Coyle will get time there. He (Coyle) will be serviceable in that role, but not great.

Which is kind of how I'd sum up my expatiations for the team as a whole for the upcoming season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad