News Article: Charles Wang Dead at 74

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
At least Lou has the class to go on camera and professionally make a statement on this mattee for the entire organization.

For how quiet Lou is supposed to be, he’s presented himself to the media more times in a few months than Garth did in a few years.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Disagree. The man is dead, he doesn’t need to be run over with a bus. You can discuss his track record, but it will be done in a respectful manner.
And that’s what’s been going on here. I’m sorry if people don’t like the fact that I bring up his time as Isles owner as much as I do. It’s fair to rehash it because it was not a good time in Islanders history.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
This article says it all and pretty much sums up the message I've been trying to relay.

Herrmann: Isles honor Wang with touching tribute

While we all know Charles Wang's tenure was far from perfect, he was the right man at the right time and possibly the most important figure to be involved in the Islander organization since Boe.

He saved this franchise from perishing.

Please don't show or continue to show your ignorance, have some class, show respect and at the very least gratitude. Thank you.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Wang ultimately failed in rebuilding the Islanders as a successful franchise, that much is true. However the franchise was in an even worse state when he took over, and to speak of his business practices as the central cause leading to its "crumbling image" is just unfair.

Prior to him taking over the Islanders hadn't even made the playoffs for seven straight seasons and were generally the biggest joke in the league, relocation seen as only a matter of time. He stabilized the situation and deserves credit for that, I understand those who are frustrated with the lack of success otherwise but he really was not the one that got the franchise in that state. He just didn't manage to get them out either, only kept them alive.

Overriding the GM at the time to hand out lifetime/record breaking contracts based on personal relationships (Yashin/DiPi), and the hiring the backup goalie to oversee your entire hockey ops absolutely added fuel to the fire.

Reactions: MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The hypocrisy of people who abruptly change their tune after someone dies.
I guess I haven't noticed this outrageous hypocrisy that you seem to have. I personally don't see anything wrong with focusing on the positive contributions made by the recently departed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad