News Article: Charles Wang Dead at 74

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I only see one comment that I could potentially force myself to read offensive if I try really hard and it doesn't even look like that poster is a Leaf fan. Are you sure that actually happened? Cause I feel like the HFboards thing to do is to take 1 posters post on the main board and then come back to report to the home board about how all the opposing posters are insulting us. Not saying you are doing that (maybe the mods removed the posts) but that literally happens all the time and it's just kinda lame. Every fanbase has it's losers and jerks, no need to stoke a crusade.

Okay? The mods deleted the post because it was such an obvious troll. It was a known Leaf troll talking about how we wanted Wang to die and are now pretending to be goody-goody now that he's passed.

There's 30 NHL fanbases other than the Islanders, only one tries to even turn a RIP thread into a narrative about what heartless hypocrites the Islanders fanbase is. You say every fanbase has it's losers and jerks, and that's right. Jerk Capital fans, jerk Avalanche fans, jerk Oiler fans, jerk Devils fans, jerk Flyers fans - argued with the lot of them. Toronto fans are worse than all of them, by far. They're aggressively targeting and brigading us in every thread and the mods allow and pretty much encourage it. Sorry if you find that opinion lame.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Maybe we can get a new Wang thread since we aren't supposed to be critical.
IF I had to sum up Charles in a few sentences it would be "business man, real estate investor buys team to develop land around it, ends up loving the sport, literally loving the hockey player friends he never had before, develops an entourage around him so similar to the TV show entourage he actually had to get Connelly in his entourage, loved his circle of hockey buds so much he'd rather lose millions with his unqualified friends than win cups with different employees...to Charles, it was his team to ruin for his own entertainment, if you didn't like it...sit down and shut up".

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
this thread is destined for a mod warning.

I'm one of the few that always liked Wang's ambitiousness, as crazy as it sometimes was. That's how people succeed. Just takes one good idea. I also recognize what he did to keep the team here and I also could tell he had passion for the area, the fans, and the team. Maybe i'm too naive, but I don't often get called that. Jaded is more of the term for me. With that said, Wang ended up being not so great of an owner from a hockey perspective, but he did get the wheels in motion and a new arena wouldn't even be a twinkle in anyone's eye without him going toe to toe with ToH.

Edit: Never mind, saw it was already made, just didn't see it listed in the title like they normally do.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
IF I had to sum up Charles in a few sentences it would be "business man, real estate investor buys team to develop land around it, ends up loving the sport, literally loving the hockey player friends he never had before, develops an entourage around him so similar to the TV show entourage he actually had to get Connelly in his entourage, loved his circle of hockey buds so much he'd rather lose millions with his unqualified friends than win cups with different employees...to Charles, it was his team to ruin for his own entertainment, if you didn't like it...sit down and shut up".

I just stroked out trying to read this

Reactions: Eberzal

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Okay? The mods deleted the post because it was such an obvious troll. It was a known Leaf troll talking about how we wanted Wang to die and are now pretending to be goody-goody now that he's passed.

There's 30 NHL fanbases other than the Islanders, only one tries to even turn a RIP thread into a narrative about what heartless hypocrites the Islanders fanbase is. You say every fanbase has it's losers and jerks, and that's right. Jerk Capital fans, jerk Avalanche fans, jerk Oiler fans, jerk Devils fans, jerk Flyers fans - argued with the lot of them. Toronto fans are worse than all of them, by far. They're aggressively targeting and brigading us in every thread and the mods allow and pretty much encourage it. Sorry if you find that opinion lame.

It is pretty amusing that their "fans" are still liking our posts from the Tavares threads. Just had one pop up liking a post from June 22.

The one thing I could never fault Wang for was his ambition and vision. The guy really did want the best for the Islanders but made more than a few questionable decisions along the way. The guy was also loyal to too many knuckleheads in his time here. As mentioned earlier, if The Lighthouse project went through he would be remembered quite differently.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
RIP Charles Wang, and condolences to his family and friends.

I don't think this is the place to express opinions about his ownership - that has been done many times in other threads, and will be done many more times. It seems that people who knew him, particularly the players, liked and respected him personally, and that's important. I'm sure we'll hear more in the next few days and weeks.

With Paul Allen (65) and Charles Wang (74) both dying from cancer within a week, it's just a reminder that cancer doesn't give a **** about wealth. And I'm sure nearly everyone in this thread, like me, have friends or family members who are currently fighting and suffering from cancer. All my best wishes to all of them.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
RIP Charles. As a any former CA employee knows Charles was always a big basketball fan. More than once he could be found playing in a CA gym. He admittedly knew nothing about hockey but that did not stop him from purchasing the team to keep the Isles on Long Island. You can question his decisions but you can't question his heart.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The initial influx energy and money in 2001 that his purchase of the Isles brought leaves me with one of my favorite memories as an Islander fan- in the Coli for Game 4 and Batesy high glove over Cujo.

I was far too young and uninformed to make any comments about the rest of his tenure as the owner but, Screw Cancer. RIP.

PS- The Islander "fans" attacking John Tavares on Twitter for providing kind words and condolences for person who just passed away make me ashamed to be even remotely associated with them.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
PS- The Islander "fans" attacking John Tavares on Twitter for providing kind words and condolences for person who just passed away make me ashamed to be even remotely associated with them.

Every fan base, Race, religion, and background has their idiots.

They’re in the minority and don’t represent us all.

The internet brings the worst out of people.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Every fan base, Race, religion, and background has their idiots.

They’re in the minority and don’t represent us all.

The internet brings the worst out of people.

Enhances their idiocy and provides them the attention they do not deserve.

But don't want to derail...RIP Charles.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Some things are bigger than Sports. Haven’t read or heard a single negative comment about Wang from any former players or employees. In fact we’ve seen the opposite with stories of his kindness and warm ness. That speaks volumes to the man he was.

It’s no secret that we didn’t agree with his many decisions and wanted new owners. But that has nothing to do with the overall man he was and his character.

I have no problem with the isles honoring him because the truth is he is responsible for helping keep the team on Long Island.

It’s in bad taste to speak ill of the dead and to turn RIP conversations into bashing the guy.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I've made it no secret that I've always appreciated what Charles Wang tried to do for the New York Islanders. He was often times unfairly criticized and unappreciated for the mess that he inherited and did not ask for. He was approached to purchase the New York Islanders at the risk of the team being purchased and moved to another state or country. To that end he was always loyal the New York Islanders and its fans. He was a man of his word, and he never betrayed us. His loyalty to Long Island was self evident on so many levels- from his willingness to spend millions while losing millions, his works in philanthropy including the World Childhood Foundation, Smile Train, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, the Islanders Children's Foundation, project Hope, and is unprecedented contributions to Long Island based universities. He remained loyal to the Islanders until the very end ensuring a smooth transition to new owners who would eventually fulfill his dream of keeping the New York Islanders on Long Island for good. There are many people in sports who are of weak character- who think only about their own personal needs first and are undeserving of the titles they hold. Charles Wang was not one of them. He was a good man and a good owner of the New York Islanders. There is no doubt in my mind he wore Islander pajamas.

RIP Charles Wang, the world was a better place because you were in it and the New York Islanders would have not survived if you were not a part of it.

Reactions: Axe Man

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Didn't we also learn that Wang was behind the idea of an arena at Belmont and put L&M in touch with NY officials about it?

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

You saved me that portion

I will mourn Charles Wang as a great philanthropist. If you go through Chinatown or anywhere in lower Manhattan you will see centers and non profits with his name on it. In Queens, his impact was great. He did amazing work for low income families and immigrants. He will be missed. He bought the Islanders with the hope that the Lighthouse was to be his life long legacy. Sadly the people in Nassau County and their Nimbyism couldn't see his vision. Sadly he couldn't compromise. Society lost a great man and for that I say, Rest in Peace Charles Wang.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Didn't we also learn that Wang was behind the idea of an arena at Belmont and put L&M in touch with NY officials about it?

Back when Belmont was announced, I was wondering what Ledecky/Malkin meant when they mentioned this was largely Charles' doing (I do forget the exact wording). even though he was absent. This would make sense, along with the "secret" out-clause in Brooklyn. In his mind, Barclays and it's crappy sightlines and off-center jumbotron was to be temporary...while other possibilities (Belmont... maybe even another go at renovating NVMC or the development in Ronkonkoma) were exhausted.

And if that's all the case, Charles may have saved this franchise, in a very big way, at the end.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Back when Belmont was announced, I was wondering what Ledecky/Malkin meant when they mentioned this was largely Charles' doing (I do forget the exact wording). even though he was absent. This would make sense, along with the "secret" out-clause in Brooklyn. In his mind, Barclays and it's crappy sightlines and off-center jumbotron was to be temporary...while other possibilities (Belmont... maybe even another go at renovating NVMC or the development in Ronkonkoma) were exhausted.

And if that's all the case, Charles may have saved this franchise, in a very big way, at the end.

Just read the articles in Newsday. I didn't know about his level of involvement with the move to Belmont, but it doesn't surprise me. The players absolutely loved the guy and was a great owner to play for. We are still rooting for a hockey team on LI because of Charles Wang. We should all be grateful. If there was one thing that Charles Wang clearly believed in it was loyalty. If he had his way every player would be an Islander for life. Yashin, Dipietro, even Peca was almost given a very long term contract of 15 years if Milbury didn't talk him out of it. He may have run hockey operations like a business, but for the players it was a family. Retired players were and still are welcome to work for the organization in some capacity. I'm sure that had a large part to do with Charles Wang. Dipietro having deep sadness and regret over his passing and Hamonic crying after hearing of his passing tells it all. To those players for whom wearing the Islander uniform meant something and understood what loyalty stands for, his passing hit hard.

Last edited:

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Wang was great to play for as long as you aren't worried about playoff runs.
Dipietro is still getting paid from the ISLES, worked for them on tv after he retired, and still never forgave Wang for not doing enough for him? The lifetime contract for a goalie with no resume wasn't enough? Always being given the starting job even when his backups often had better numbers? And Dipietro was hurt that Wang let snow cut him? I would of cut him six years prior. Any gm would of cut him six years earlier. I know Wang made great donations all over long island. But his decision to consider players and gm family members .....it made the team worse. I think the Dipietro love, damaged the team more than Milbury. Even more than Snow.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Wang was great to play for as long as you aren't worried about playoff runs.
Dipietro is still getting paid from the ISLES, worked for them on tv after he retired, and still never forgave Wang for not doing enough for him? The lifetime contract for a goalie with no resume wasn't enough? Always being given the starting job even when his backups often had better numbers? And Dipietro was hurt that Wang let snow cut him? I would of cut him six years prior. Any gm would of cut him six years earlier. I know Wang made great donations all over long island. But his decision to consider players and gm family members .....it made the team worse. I think the Dipietro love, damaged the team more than Milbury. Even more than Snow.

I'm not going to debate Wang's contract negotiations, we all know the this history behind that but for the open-minded and less blindly ignorant fans amongst us Wang clearly saved this franchise in more ways than one. The franchise was in shambles and was the laughing stock of the league prior to Wang entering into the picture thanks to the financial ineptitude of the Spanos, Milsteins and Gluckstern. For a long time, Long Island was a last choice/ last wish destination for any professional hockey player. Wang created a culture of "loyalty" when he took over the reins as Islander owner. Yes, he treated players like family much in the way Bill Torrey and Al Arbour treated the dynasty Islanders. He hugged his players when he met them. Invited them to his home. Gave personal advise to so many of them, and yes he opened his wallet to them. Rick Dipietro was the first New York Islander in a long, long time to utter the words, " I want to retire a New York Islander".

Yes his loyalty at times got him and the team in trouble. But in the big picture it's that loyalty that ultimately saved this franchise. Without this loyalty, we wouldn't have a hockey team to cheer for on Long Island. It seems the farther Wang got away from hockey operations the closer disloyalty began to creep into this organization and the Judas players started raising their ugly heads. Nope, I think Wang saved this franchise, Cup or not, he was a great owner.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad