News Article: Charles Wang Dead at 74

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
As a long time CA employee I had known of Charles (worked there after he had left) and he really did want to see Long Island become Silicon Valley East. When I worked at Best Buy in Huntington I had sold him a DSLR, this was a few weeks before the Okposo draft, he was pleasant and appreciated my help and recommendations and we talked hockey a bit. Whatever anyone thinks he did save the franchise and gave them a form of stability for a few years. RIP Mr. Wang.

Mod note:

There better be zero bullshit in this thread, there will be no warnings or soft deletes you will get points.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Wasn't a very good owner because it was obvious what he was trying to do with the team. I'm glad he didn't screw us all and try to move the team elsewhere. Sympathies to the family.

I do wonder who gets that minority share now that he's gone. Not sure it really matters though.

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
His kid is probably in his early 20's and super rich...it's ok. They own Neulion and lots of other assets.

He still owns 10% of the team, right? I guess now his son takes over?

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
This came out of nowhere. Thinking of his family at this time. It's a shame.

He wasn't a good owner, but regardless of how I felt about his tenure, I always believed he worked hard to keep the Islanders in New York, so I'm grateful.

RIP.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
His kid is probably in his early 20's and super rich...it's ok. They own Neulion and lots of other assets.

He still owns 10% of the team, right? I guess now his son takes over?
I would imagine so.

Curious what our new minority owner will do: if he decides to sell, or become or active with the team, or just leave things as they are.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Wasn't a very good owner because it was obvious what he was trying to do with the team. I'm glad he didn't screw us all and try to move the team elsewhere. Sympathies to the family.

I do wonder who gets that minority share now that he's gone. Not sure it really matters though.

I always get the feeling that if the lighthouse went through we would have a very different opinion of him.

I think his share goes to his family.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I truly honestly believe he singlehandedly saved this storied franchise from relocation and ressurected it from the dark times of Spano/fishsticks/etc. If not for him, this team would go the Hartford way. RIP, Charles Wang.

PS/Edit. Still have a poster/calendar from 2001/02 with the iconic logo and right uniform (albeit of darker shade of blue). I love it. They went from 52 points, last overall, to 96 points, 4th in the conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigtim1988

Drivefor5

Jul 31, 2010
NJ
RIP Charles Wang

Like him or not he did bring "some stability" and "respectability" back to the team during the early part of his tenure. If you think about some of his less than stellar moves as the owner and the fact that despite his moves the Islanders were still considered more stable and respectable then at other times in their history. That fact should say all you need to know about some of the darker days of our sorted past and his place in Islanders history. He did share our passion to keep the team in LI and to rebuild the Coliseum.

We obviously had much worse:

"Spano" and "Gang of Four"

Reactions: And You Feel Shame

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
None of us knows the full story, but a lot of people who seem to be in the know believe that he saved the franchise from relocation. So, leaving aside anything else relating to his ownership, RIP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad